RCA broke off in amp, now amp plays at 1/10th volume please help

JonM

I'm a noob at this. I had to take out my HCCA amp after it was professionally installed. I took pictures of the wiring and labeled everything. I reconnected everything back up and it sounded great. Bass knob worked and the subs sounded like they should. I had it laying flat on the back seat. I picked it up to mount it in the amp rack which is a very tight fit. One of the 0 gauge wires fell out and the others were starting to come out as I lifted the amp up an in to fit it in the amp rack. The top rca wire going to the bass control knob broke off inside the amp. I drove my car down to my shop where my tools are, heated up a torq bit and stuck it into the damaged RCA jack. It went all the way in with no problem. I couldn't tell if the broken piece fell out while I was driving or I pushed it all the way inside the amp, either way the signal is all screwed up now. The bass hardly registers now. Where it took a quarter turn on the bass knob, now it's all the way up and about 1/10 the loudness of what I had. I've got 7,000 watts going to 5,000 watt speakers. I've been working on this for a while and I'm at a loss, please help! View attachment 26556262View attachment 26556263View attachment 26556264View attachment 26556265View attachment 26556262View attachment 26556263View attachment 26556264View attachment 26556265

I pulled the amp out of the car and I removed the back and the rest of the jack fell out. I looked thougt the holes to see if anything was stuck in there and it's clear. I reinstalled the amp amp and I'm having the same problems. There is also a relitively loud hum coming from the subs that changes frequency depending on how fast I'm driving, like the ground is messed up or something. I'm Getting it ready for Slamology in a couple of weeks I appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks. Also how do I check for a bad resistor, is that something a shop could diagnose?

I pulled the amp out of the car and I removed the back and the rest of the jack fell out. I looked thougt the holes to see if anything was stuck in there and it's clear. I reinstalled the amp amp and I'm having the same problems. There is also a relitively loud hum coming from the subs that changes frequency depending on how fast I'm driving, like the ground is messed up or something. I'm Getting it ready for Slamology in a couple of weeks I appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks. Also how do I check for a bad resistor, is that something a shop could diagnose?
do you see any damage or scorching on the board?

unfortunately you may be at the point of needing to get it repaired, but are you sure its not possibly the headunit that got damaged? does it happen with the amp has no rca's plugged in?

I'm a noob at this. I had to take out my HCCA amp after it was professionally installed. I took pictures of the wiring and labeled everything. I reconnected everything back up and it sounded great. Bass knob worked and the subs sounded like they should. I had it laying flat on the back seat. I picked it up to mount it in the amp rack which is a very tight fit. One of the 0 gauge wires fell out and the others were starting to come out as I lifted the amp up an in to fit it in the amp rack. The top rca wire going to the bass control knob broke off inside the amp. I drove my car down to my shop where my tools are, heated up a torq bit and stuck it into the damaged RCA jack. It went all the way in with no problem. I couldn't tell if the broken piece fell out while I was driving or I pushed it all the way inside the amp, either way the signal is all screwed up now. The bass hardly registers now. Where it took a quarter turn on the bass knob, now it's all the way up and about 1/10 the loudness of what I had. I've got 7,000 watts going to 5,000 watt speakers. I've been working on this for a while and I'm at a loss, please help! View attachment 26556262View attachment 26556263View attachment 26556264View attachment 26556265View attachment 26556262View attachment 26556263View attachment 26556264View attachment 26556265
U said a power wire fell out or ground? Either way did it hit anything and spark? Coulda fvcked shlt up that way.

I got it fixed. The cables that I swiped from my home theater and the ones I bought at Walmart either didn't carry enough current or didn't insert tight enough into the jack (I didn't know that was possible). I took it up to the shop that installed it and they ran some tests for free and found out it was just my RCA cables. I bought some heavy duty ones from them and now the amp works great. No more buzzing or low volume.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.