Amp for FI X15 (750 RMS @ 4 ohm) for under $200

Prep

Fairly new to subs and such and bought a crappy Rockville 15" set with a "1500w, 500 RMS" amp. I doubt its putting out anything close to that and the quality is probably a safety issue. I'm looking for a new or used amp to go with the Fi Audio X15 that runs around 750w @ 4 ohm. I just want something that is reliable, sounds good, and moderately cheap. Thanks

Fairly new to subs and such and bought a crappy Rockville 15" set with a "1500w, 500 RMS" amp. I doubt its putting out anything close to that and the quality is probably a safety issue. I'm looking for a new or used amp to go with the Fi Audio X15 that runs around 750w @ 4 ohm. I just want something that is reliable, sounds good, and moderately cheap. Thanks
did twice to get your atten.. y u wanta run 4 ohms thats hard at that power or u pay more $ and only use 1/2 or 1/3 of amps power.. what vc is sub?

u gotta find out what ohm it is b4 u get any amp.. look on back of sub lots of them say 4ohm dvc or 2 ohm dvc.. i'm sure that sub is dual coil either 2 or 4 ohm.. which will wire up to either 1 or 2 ohm (u can wire a dual 2 ohm to 4 ohm but at that much power u don't want to bridge an a/b 2 channel amp to it u want mono block d class kinda like my ppi p1k it does 930 or so rms at 2 ohm 1160 rms at 1 ohm..

u gotta find out what ohm it is b4 u get any amp.. look on back of sub lots of them say 4ohm dvc or 2 ohm dvc.. i'm sure that sub is dual coil either 2 or 4 ohm.. which will wire up to either 1 or 2 ohm (u can wire a dual 2 ohm to 4 ohm but at that much power u don't want to bridge an a/b 2 channel amp to it u want mono block d class kinda like my ppi p1k it does 930 or so rms at 2 ohm 1160 rms at 1 ohm..
It's 4 ohm, that's why I thought I needed a 4 ohm amp. So I can wire a 1 or 2 ohm amp to my 4 ohm sub could?

It's 4 ohm, that's why I thought I needed a 4 ohm amp. So I can wire a 1 or 2 ohm amp to my 4 ohm sub could?
Its dual 4ohm meaning you have two 4ohm coils you can wire in series for an 8ohm final or wire in parallel for a 2ohm final.

like jr said see we knew (i thought0 those ubs won't come in svc do they must be dvc 4 or 2 ohm.. so u have a 4ohm dvc with 99% of us would wire to 2 ohm (i had a orion hp wired to 8 ohm for 7 yrs because that's only way to bridge 2 channel amp i had to a dvc 4ohm sub, but u on;y get 1/2 the amps power that way) u need mono d class sub amp like we use.. my amp would really be good for u 930rms @2 ohms (we alo run more power than ub is rated for because of something called "box rise" (when sub moves ohm load actually goes up so u sub really only gets like 1/2 power u send it anyway) so some guys here run 3500rms to 2 8" subs.. anyway only thing we need to know now is how much $ u wanta spend on amp?, u want cheapest decent amp (thats mine) or u want a nice amp like $300 or more.

The ppi ^ is talking about is a good option. Id personally want a little more power on an Fi X. Cab 1600 for 199 does around 1200w @2 and the skar rp2000 for 229 i believe does about 1400 @2.

Good sub choice btw. Fi makes excellent subs

another good reason to get amp thats 1 ohm stable is: it's kinda like having a car that does 150 mph but u only run it at 70 mph., amp doesn't get very hot puts out cleaner power and should last longer.. ran mine 20 mins hard bassin' yesterday amp was just warm.. look at amps kr suggested all these are on amazon, well cab isn't thats a massive amp and looks cool as h*ll too friend has 1, it's on car audio bargain.com

like jr said see we knew (i thought0 those ubs won't come in svc do they must be dvc 4 or 2 ohm.. so u have a 4ohm dvc with 99% of us would wire to 2 ohm (i had a orion hp wired to 8 ohm for 7 yrs because that's only way to bridge 2 channel amp i had to a dvc 4ohm sub, but u on;y get 1/2 the amps power that way) u need mono d class sub amp like we use.. my amp would really be good for u 930rms @2 ohms (we alo run more power than ub is rated for because of something called "box rise" (when sub moves ohm load actually goes up so u sub really only gets like 1/2 power u send it anyway) so some guys here run 3500rms to 2 8" subs.. anyway only thing we need to know now is how much $ u wanta spend on amp?, u want cheapest decent amp (thats mine) or u want a nice amp like $300 or more.
The ppi ^ is talking about is a good option. Id personally want a little more power on an Fi X. Cab 1600 for 199 does around 1200w @2 and the skar rp2000 for 229 i believe does about 1400 @2.
Good sub choice btw. Fi makes excellent subs
another good reason to get amp thats 1 ohm stable is: it's kinda like having a car that does 150 mph but u only run it at 70 mph., amp doesn't get very hot puts out cleaner power and should last longer.. ran mine 20 mins hard bassin' yesterday amp was just warm.. look at amps kr suggested all these are on amazon, well cab isn't thats a massive amp and looks cool as h*ll too friend has 1, it's on car audio bargain.com
Thanks for all the great help guys. I feel like I understand a lot more now. Great suggestions, I'm gonna get either the PPI P1k or the cab.. I'm definitely leaning towards Cab for more flexibility. Is there any danger to my subs if I run 1200 rms through it even though recommended is 750w (And would I need to worry about capacitors)? I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around and I already had to replace the rockville sub. Or would I just need to keep it turned down? Thanks again.

adjust gain pretty low (ppi would be over powering it much) and if u have sub volume on hu u can turn that down DON'T USE ANY BASS BOOST ANYWHERE not even on hu every thaing that sats bass on it set to 0 and no eq's presets on hu.. u use the extra power to make it loud not bass boost which is distortion.. the cab is a big a*s amp actually can do over 2k u really should have 0 ga wire and do big 3 wires under hood (search google big 3 wires if u don't know what that is, videos show u) but u can probably get away with 4 ga wire with ppi without big 3 wires @ 2ohm anyway i have..

adjust gain pretty low (ppi would be over powering it much) and if u have sub volume on hu u can turn that down DON'T USE ANY BASS BOOST ANYWHERE not even on hu every thaing that sats bass on it set to 0 and no eq's presets on hu.. u use the extra power to make it loud not bass boost which is distortion.. the cab is a big a*s amp actually can do over 2k u really should have 0 ga wire and do big 3 wires under hood (search google big 3 wires if u don't know what that is, videos show u) but u can probably get away with 4 ga wire with ppi without big 3 wires @ 2ohm anyway i have..
Sounds like I have a bit of work to do. I think I'll upgrade my big 3 to 1/0. I have 8 ga currently installed and that's probably a little small for how long my cable is. Its always a pain in the *** to do new wiring through the firewall. Hopefully pretty soon I'll have the cab installed and bumping my FI.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.