crappy day

cfox10
10+ year member

Rock the house.
Well.. it's my birthday, woo.

Sold my two IA Wardens in minty condition.

I had just tested the coils and made sure they were good. Guy got the subs home, wired up.. played fine for 30 seconds or so and then boom..nothing

One voice coil per sub is toast. The other is fine.

But they read 0, so they are somehow shorted. Only two of the 4 coils and only one per sub.

How tf does this happen?

So, what do I do?

If they played for 30 seconds and then blew i dont see how its your problem.
Happy birthday!!
Just don't see how it happened.

He has a brand new Taramps HD 8k wired to them. First time he's powered up the amp.

I'm wondering if somehow it caused it to short the coils. But I don't see how it would short just one coil per sub.

if hey worked he apparently did something wrong. did you test the coil before sale?

Yes, I and 3 people I know...know the coils were good. I didn't however test the coil with the guy who bought it. Dumb mistake.

I still think something is up with the new Taramps he got. First run with it too.

for a coil to dead short it much be the inside coil sorting to the former.. possible it was the amp. ESP if they tested fine..
That's what I mean.. if the amp sent a bad signal it *could* cause the coil to essentially weld itself to the former, right?

would a dmm work or need an oscope to do it?
if dmm, can you explain the process?
put it on AC voltage and test the output with a sine-wave. looks for spikes in AC voltage that could potentially harm the drivers

if you aren't getting AC voltage check for DC voltage playing a sine wave.

even if you are getting AC voltage is could be an issue so you may need a power analyzer but an oscope would do too. but typically if there is an issue the output will be DC

Sounds very strange to me, I've blown up a lot of subs and never saw a coil turn into a dead short.

That said, if a coil was a dead short when he hooked them up his amp would have protected or blown instantly when he tried to power it up. Feels to me like something is missing from this story.

Yeah as other said, that ***** bad, Has this person asked for his $$ back yet? Because it sounds like it's leading towards that direction.

Who's a Taramps expert here, or ran their amps besides @shizzzon that can possibly break down exactly what happened. Almost sounds like he clipped them?

I'd have to say user error or faulty amp.

Sounds very strange to me, I've blown up a lot of subs and never saw a coil turn into a dead short.
That said, if a coil was a dead short when he hooked them up his amp would have protected or blown instantly when he tried to power it up. Feels to me like something is missing from this story.
The amp never went into protect either. It just stopped playing. We have a group chat going with the taramps dealer he got the amp from because the amp should have protected. It played fine for 30ish seconds and he was slowly turning the volume up and boom no sound.

Pulled sub's and sent me a pick of the coils on dmm. Dead short. I've never seen that unless a tinsel was torn. And both are visually perfect. No signs of issues anywhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

cfox10

10+ year member
Rock the house.
cfox10
Tillamook, Oregon
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date