2 diff size subs, 1 mono, kill switch?

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
I had an idea. Aside from the soundwave issue of running two different size subs. Lets say a 10" and a 15". Lets takethese two subs and run em on a 1000w rms mono block. But wait!, only one at a time, and have a kill switch for which sub you want to run up front. Say im listening to metal, i run the 10". Then a rap song comes on, then i flip the switch, 10" gets shut down and 15" comes on. Anyone do this? This its a good idea?

Oh and lets assume the gain is good for both subs,

Small size

Efficiency

Bandwidth

You can only pick 2 for an enclosure

So if you want loud and good bandwidth it's going to be bigger

Or if you want loud but small it will have a shorter bandwidth

People don't do this because the size of a sub doesn't determine what it will play. Shove the most cone area you can in the space you want to give up. Build a real box. Play music. Any music. If you want to get detailed get a EQ that has sub bands. Cut the peaks from the cabin gain or port if you have them. Play music better. Any music better.

People don't do this because the size of a sub doesn't determine what it will play. Shove the most cone area you can in the space you want to give up. Build a real box. Play music. Any music. If you want to get detailed get a EQ that has sub bands. Cut the peaks from the cabin gain or port if you have them. Play music better. Any music better.
Playing with the idea of going up to a 15 sealed but idk, obviously my concerns are known so we will see

Oops, i meant 15 ported

You really need to hear some good sounding setups as you would stop asking these stupid questions.

My car can play anything you put in it, loud, clear, with amazing bass and a focused soundstage.

I run a simple 2 way active front stage (time aligned and eq'd) - 2 - 12's on a bunch of power in a large box tuned low.

It is all you need and I play Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Rap - all with amazing results.

Keep it simple and installed well.

A sealed 15 with good power is plenty loud for most people. If you don't want to spend much for your risk the Alpine Type S is a solid woofer. Just give it the biggest box Alpine says to plus a little more.

You really need to hear some good sounding setups as you would stop asking these stupid questions.
My car can play anything you put in it, loud, clear, with amazing bass and a focused soundstage.

I run a simple 2 way active front stage (time aligned and eq'd) - 2 - 12's on a bunch of power in a large box tuned low.

It is all you need and I play Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Rap - all with amazing results.

Keep it simple and installed well.
I do ask alot of stupid questions huh? I still gotta check out a home threater store like losisatool suggested.

I do ask alot of stupid questions huh? I still gotta check out a home threater store like losisatool suggested.
you could be the guy who buys some ****** equipment without asking anyone and screws himself, the smartest guys on here did the same thing as you and started researching

i listen to a lot of rock and one 15 tuned at 35 does it very well but im at the team level of sub and its just not made for the same musical reproduction of something you're in the field for. a single 15 will surprise you

Last edited by a moderator:
you could be the guy who guys some ****** equipment without asking anyone and screws himself, the smartest guys on here did the same thing as you and started researching
i listen to a lot of rock and one 15 tuned at 35 does it very well but im at the team level of sub and its just not made for the same musical reproduction of something you're in the field for. a single 15 will surprise you
I do more and more research. I feel like i already know alot. But hands on experience of some of these guys i will never be able to match

One of the cooler things I saw back in the day was a pair of drivers in an enclosure that had a linear actuator changing the volume from smaller sealed to larger sealed to vented. Adjustable Q on the fly as necessary.

I think it was Fishman.

One of the cooler things I saw back in the day was a pair of drivers in an enclosure that had a linear actuator changing the volume from smaller sealed to larger sealed to vented. Adjustable Q on the fly as necessary.
I think it was Fishman.
That sounds cool! Was another idea i was thinking about but sounds overly complicated

That sounds cool! Was another idea i was thinking about but sounds overly complicated
It would be a job, no doubt. The seals would be tricky to get right. Has to be even better products for that type of situation today, though. Some form of weather seal that can move against a surface but maintains pretty decent pneumatic integrity? Or, you could just build a ledge the back wall of the enclosure butts up against in either position. Just create a 2 position scenario, sealed or vented.
But yeah, these days lots of drivers can accomplish this type of performance. A build like this is now probably unnecessary and overly complicated as you said. Cool factor, though?

DO you have any car audio shows near you?

That would help you to hear many different setups.

I have been doing this for 27 years now, I have had way more systems than I can remember plus used to install for others when I was younger.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.