$300 for complete audio installation reasonable? (I'm providing the cables and wires)

Lawlyer

I drive a Ford Expedition (SUV). I have a full sound system (5 channel amp, double din video head unit, 4 speakers, and 12" sub) and I have my own cables, wires, and fuses that I purchased. I really just need to hire professional labor for installation.

I found a shop with good review near Los Angeles, CA for $300. Is this reasonable or too much?

you might need to pay for the proper wiring harness and dash kit for the double din

but $300 is reasonable imo, it might seem steep to some but to do it all right will take some time so plan on dropping the car off for a day

300 for a higher end shop. 180 for an average shop and any less is a ghetto shop in los angeles
He better run with the quote that he got because no self respecting shop should touch that for that low of a price especially when he's not even buying anything from them either!!!!! Hell even an average shop dang sure shouldn't for the $180.00 you stated, I don't know how you came up with that stupid low number but that ain't happening bro....lol

He better run with the quote that he got because no self respecting shop should touch that for that low of a price especially when he's not even buying anything from them either!!!!! Hell even an average shop dang sure shouldn't for the $180.00 you stated, I don't know how you came up with that stupid low number but that ain't happening bro....lol
thats the average price here in cali, if you dont live here then STFU. There's that much competition and not all shops are hack jobs either. There's literally 20 audio shops in los angeles alone. I arrive at that price from asking people who and where they got their sh*t installed and for how much through out the years of going to shows and meets. Reason why i never went into car audio shop installer as a career is because there's very little money to be made with all this competition. You are better off doing a solo installer out of your garage.

Of course if you buy stuff at the shops, its gonna be a lot more since they rather mark up then charge on labor.

thats the average price here in cali, if you dont live here then STFU. There's that much competition and not all shops are hack jobs either. There's literally 20 audio shops in los angeles alone. I arrive at that price from asking people who and where they got their sh*t installed and for how much through out the years of going to shows and meets.
STFU????? Really, grow up dude and get out your feelings.....I've been to Cali more times than I care to count and I know several of the shop owners out there and like I said before, no self respecting shop would touch that job THAT cheap especially not having sold anything. You and I must have different definitions of what's ghetto. Hell the standard of living and income there in Cali is far greater than it is here in Arkansas, heck we are considered poverty level compared to Cali and with that being said, even ghetto shops here (which are pretty friggin bad) wouldn't touch that job for the $180.00 you say an average shop there would.....lol

STFU????? Really, grow up dude and get out your feelings.....I've been to Cali more times than I care to count and I know several of the shop owners out there and like I said before, no self respecting shop would touch that job THAT cheap especially not having sold anything. You and I must have different definitions of what's ghetto. Hell the standard of living and income there in Cali is far greater than it is here in Arkansas, heck we are considered poverty level compared to Cali and with that being said, even ghetto shops here (which are pretty friggin bad) wouldn't touch that job for the $180.00 you say an average shop there would.....lol
Again, you see several shops and you dont live here. 180 dollars is the lowest you can get for a decent install with proper grounds, cable management etc.. any less and you get hack shops. This is why there's a lot of audio shops that shut down. Again, you dont live here so you have absolutely no clue.

again i say stfu to where it deserves to be said.

Of course if you buy stuff at the shops, its gonna be a lot more since they rather mark up then charge on labor.
You obviously don't understand what it takes to run a business either because if you did, you'd know that it takes a HELLUVA lot more than just charging labor to keep your doors open my friend.

You obviously don't understand what it takes to run a business either because if you did, you'd know that it takes a HELLUVA lot more than just charging labor to keep your doors open my friend.
Do you run a successful business?

Jeff I know that there is a ton of competition in Cali and me not living there has nothing to do with anything because I know several shop owners there and they all would kindly decline that job. Some of the best shops in the world are out there and they absolutely charge more than that. Do you understand that there are a lot of shops that wouldn't even entertain the thought of that install because they have a ZERO policy about installing customer supplied parts ie if you didn't buy it from them then they will not install it.

Those super low install prices that you speak of is just further proof of the RACE TO ZERO which has all but destroyed this industry.....

I actually own a furniture wholesale business so your comment is invalid. Furniture does better than car audio out here. lets put it at that.

Jeff I know that there is a ton of competition in Cali and me not living there has nothing to do with anything because I know several shop owners there and they all would kindly decline that job. Some of the best shops in the world are out there and they absolutely charge more than that. Do you understand that there are a lot of shops that wouldn't even entertain the thought of that install because they have a ZERO policy about installing customer supplied parts ie if you didn't buy it from them then they will not install it. Those super low install prices that you speak of is just further proof of the RACE TO ZERO which has all but destroyed this industry.....
exactly its a race to zero, majority of car audio is destroyed by the race to zero out here. hence why never bothered to even look into investing time or money to the industry in the first place.

only places that remotely do well is in higher class neighborhoods that give off a "we are super legit and charge a lot" that hold a monopoly in the city. aka Huntington beach and laguna hills. The rest struggle to stay in the green. a lot close down.

I actually own a furniture wholesale business so your point is invalid. Furniture does better than car audio out here. lets put it at that.

exactly its a race to zero, majority of car audio is destroyed by the race to zero out here. hence why never bothered to even look into investing time or money to the industry in the first place.
I will say this then, you should know everything that I'm talking about and yes furniture is an entirely different beast that has always had better margins than car audio. I spent a year in the furniture business sort of...(Rent to Own) but the margins in car audio don't come anywhere close to what it is in furniture though so as I stated before, you can't keep your doors open just charging labor.

when you have 90% of your customers going in the first thing they ask is how cheap can they get it installed for rather than asking how is it going to be installed and tuned, you know the car audio industry went to sh*t.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.