How are car stereo competitions measured?

JonM

So I entered my first car stereo competition at Import Face Off and won in the unlimited trunk class. I noticed that the other competitors in the trunk class had their subs and port facing into the cab of the car with the backseats folded down. My subs and port face the taillights with the back of the speaker box and an amp rack pushed up against the backseats which I'm guessing makes it hard for the pressure in the trunk to reach the inside of the car. I have a 99 Camery. Did this put me at a disadvantage? When they measure for sound, do they measure for sound pressure or how loud it is? I'm wondering because I want to enter Slamology this year. Thanks!

Loud is pressure

Yeah i think it did put you at a disadvantage

Your box could have liked facing the rear a lot and helped you but something like those other guys had could get your score up substantially

it will take a lot of reading and trial and error to get every last bit out of it if that's what you're going for

If you fire it forward you have to completely seal it off from the trunk. No backwaves.
Not necessarily.

Sub/port forward with the box slid back, is the second loudest setup in my car. Sub up port forward is the loudest. Sub/port forward, sealed off from the trunk, is by far the worst setup for DB in my car. Lost 3 DB.

So I entered my first car stereo competition at Import Face Off and won in the unlimited trunk class. I noticed that the other competitors in the trunk class had their subs and port facing into the cab of the car with the backseats folded down. My subs and port face the taillights with the back of the speaker box and an amp rack pushed up against the backseats which I'm guessing makes it hard for the pressure in the trunk to reach the inside of the car. I have a 99 Camery. Did this put me at a disadvantage? When they measure for sound, do they measure for sound pressure or how loud it is? I'm wondering because I want to enter Slamology this year. Thanks!
spl comp., spl stands for sound pressure level lol.. spl is how loud it is deep is different they dont test that.. what subs u have can u put pics up? look at tragiks boxes, his car is loud i heard it.. 4k rms to 1 15.. look toward bottom of thread

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/630224-2003-civic-sedan-looking-150-a-3.html

Not necessarily.
Sub/port forward with the box slid back, is the second loudest setup in my car. Sub up port forward is the loudest. Sub/port forward, sealed off from the trunk, is by far the worst setup for DB in my car. Lost 3 DB.
Yeah that's what the trunk king use to do. But it sounded like *** playing music.

you want that wave to peak at the passenger dash to win trophies or you want it to peak at the listening position to sound good? that's the decision.

in most trunks firing rear ward is loudest unless you seal off the trunk like losisatool said but alot of people have cancellation issues and have to fire UP and back because of the section between the rear window and the edge of the trunk.

spl comp., spl stands for sound pressure level lol.. spl is how loud it is deep is different they dont test that.. what subs u have can u put pics up? look at tragiks boxes, his car is loud i heard it.. 4k rms to 1 15.. look toward bottom of thread http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/630224-2003-civic-sedan-looking-150-a-3.html
Ive got 2 Orion 12" HCCA 2ohm 2,500 rms 5,000 max watts with a box taking up my entire trunk of a 99 Camery. The back of the box is pushed up against the back seat with an amp rack inbetween. I've got an HCCA 8k at 2 ohms putting out a total of 6100 watts to both speakers. He front of the box has about 5 inches between the rubbers of the subs and the inside rear of the car. I'll see if I can post some picks with my iPad.

I was talking to another 99 camery guy and he's running about the same poer as me with different equipment and smaller box. He had his facing into the car and wasn't happy with the sound. I told him my set up and he switched to the way I had it and he said he perceived his subs got 3x louder with the box facing the rear instead of facing into the car (it wasn't sealed off facing into the car)

Sealed off firing forward was the worst in my old trunk build. Sub forward, port passenger side was loudest, played the lowest, and sounded the best

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.