Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Papermaker85
5,000+ posts

Banned
New orleans LA
ceramic dome tweeters initial impression

1" ceramic dome tweeter cloth surround. Edge driven but for me as a prototype!

Head unit is a AVH-X4800BS

not exactly the best sounding unit but it has a decent amount of processing power.

X over 3.15khz and 4khz ceramic dome tweeters

Placement for now on the dash next to the a-pillar 15 degrees off axis.

Amp phoenix gold xenon 200.4 im gonna take a wil guess and say a solid 50 watts is plenty. Excellent sensitivity.

Mids are custom build based on a platform the build house had. Its long gap long coil design with a coil would for very low inductance and excellent heat dissipation. Carbon cone. Crossed between 2500hz and 3150hz 90 degrees off axis. Has No problem play up to 5k+ but of course as with all 6.5s off axis more realistically 2500 to 3k.

As compared to silks

Just as forgiving but better damped down low. More airy and higher energy.

As compared to cloth. Very similar to the excellent cloth/fiber tweeters still over all more airy and more natural around 2500..

As compared to hard dome. Not quite as sharp but not quite the air similar output an efficiency but without the harshness! Every bit as detailed] maybe abit less attack bit less delay.

This tweeter seems to bridge the gap between the smooth forgiving natural upper mid range silks with more air but not the harshness associated with the hard domes. I love them!

sorry typed this on my phone n a hurry

Last edited by a moderator:
Ceramics are real nice. Thanks for sharing your impressions. Try magnesium or carbon next.

I had a very similar experience with my first pair of Transducer Lab tweeters, carbon domes. My favorite tweeter behind the Fostex magnesium dome.

That was on purpose *******.
Then it makes you look like and idiot and a hypocrite. If you are going to be the spelling and grammar police then you need to make sure your post are perfect. I don't even know what the last word is.

Then it makes you look like and idiot and a hypocrite. If you are going to be the spelling and grammar police then you need to make sure your post are perfect. I don't even know what the last word is.
If you don't know and can't figure it out, then that's not my problem. Good day.

Ceramics are real nice. Thanks for sharing your impressions. Try magnesium or carbon next.
I had a very similar experience with my first pair of Transducer Lab tweeters, carbon domes. My favorite tweeter behind the Fostex magnesium dome.
yea. I doubt this build house is as good as vifa, fostex or focal but i can honestly say not bad. still abit lacking above 18k but lets face it what really goes that high?

sounds like my type of tweeter. Coupled it with a massive substage yet?
I haven't measured the woofer yet. Im pretty sure its around 144 or so. Its tuned low. Drops to 25 or so plays well past 80hz but falls off slow after around 65. Good enough to slightly blur your vision.

Im sure i cou6kd tune it to get alot more output but it really sounds so good i don't care.

One of my old friends who is a local drummer said it sounds like an idmax. Which is a winner im my book.

yea. I doubt this build house is as good as vifa, fostex or focal but i can honestly say not bad. still abit lacking above 18k but lets face it what really goes that high?
(1 Pair) TRANSDUCER LAB ATR-3721 N26CFR-A CARBON FIber Dome Tweeters | eBay

Grab a set of these, if not solely for a reference. You will not be sorry. Honestly, the best $200 I've ever spent on HF drivers and I would pay more for them. Sold in closely matched pairs for level and FR. Very open, incredibly revealing and they will play bass tones with ease (nearfield). Not in the vehicle, of course. lol

(1 Pair) TRANSDUCER LAB ATR-3721 N26CFR-A CARBON FIber Dome Tweeters | eBay

Grab a set of these, if not solely for a reference. You will not be sorry. Honestly, the best $200 I've ever spent on HF drivers and I would pay more for them. Sold in closely matched pairs for level and FR. Very open, incredibly revealing and they will play bass tones with ease (nearfield). Not in the vehicle, of course. lol
i need to explore again. i'm getting good response up to about 17k and it falls FAST after that. I never like to boost but i finally put A half *** RTA on it and boy you was right i have a KILLER mid-range. cut from 125 to 2500 and added abit of boost around 16k. it sounds ever more realistic now. i don't know anyone with a good RTA anymore i been out of the secne so its hard to do accurate tuning. I'm thinking about ordering a good mic for my S7 that has a good pass-band just for shits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Papermaker85

5,000+ posts
Banned
Papermaker85
New orleans LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies