Multimeters and clamp meter

Participant count
  • Participant list

ChaseinBass

CarAudio.com Veteran
Calif
Looking at getting a multi meter and clamp meter to clamp my amp and wondering what everyone is using ? I know fluke is the **** but prob won't get used much so I don't want to spend more that I have too. I guess I need peak hold on both to make it easier and I see alot of meters have data hold instead ? Is that the same thing or is that like once it gets a reading and you have to capture it at that moment ?Any thoughts guys, what are you using to clamp your amps ?

Got my DMM from auto parts store. It was pretty cheap. A clamp meter might run ya 100 bucks or so. I've seen them second hand f/s. Unless you want new...

Got my DMM from auto parts store. It was pretty cheap. A clamp meter might run ya 100 bucks or so. I've seen them second hand f/s. Unless you want new...
I have a few cheap multimeters but non have the peak hold function and I have a clamp meter(also no peak hold) that will work just dont know how accurate. I guess I will go for the DMM first and try the clamp i have. Just hard to hold everything and see what the peak voltage all while working the HU from behind the seat and at 152db +

Been looking online and anything better is more than I want to spend on it. But did see a youtube vid clamping with exact same meters I have so I will give it a shot. Its so loud I got to drive out a ways to do it so maybe tomorrow. Curious what i am geting wired at 2 ohms and what my box rise is ? Trying to decide if i want to drop .5 ohms ? At 2ohms I am loud and no voltage drop at all and I imagine .5 I will have a lot of voltage drop or at least more. wondering if its worth it since I got 0 problems now.

Been looking online and anything better is more than I want to spend on it. But did see a youtube vid clamping with exact same meters I have so I will give it a shot. Its so loud I got to drive out a ways to do it so maybe tomorrow. Curious what i am geting wired at 2 ohms and what my box rise is ? Trying to decide if i want to drop .5 ohms ? At 2ohms I am loud and no voltage drop at all and I imagine .5 I will have a lot of voltage drop or at least more. wondering if its worth it since I got 0 problems now.
Might give Shizzzon a message if your thinking of dropping to 1/2 ohm. Can that amp handle it? It looks like you have enough electrical for it but that Taramps I'm not familiar with low ohms.

Might give Shizzzon a message if your thinking of dropping to 1/2 ohm. Can that amp handle it? It looks like you have enough electrical for it but that Taramps I'm not familiar with low ohms.
Ya thats who I got it from and I probably will before I do it. I have seen a couple of guys do it , in fact one guy has two wired to .5 dailey but there probably still some risk there.

do some digging and you can find some nice fluke chinese versions on ebay for cheap

but they arent clamp meters. im really not sure who sells an accurate ac/dc clamp meter for a good price...

You could like get by with a Mastech MS2115A clamp meter. You can get them for about 60 bucks on Amazon. Hell, even the termlab magnum uses mastech clamps when it comes to clamping wattage so it can't be that bad.

Be careful if you run that 15K at .5 ohm , It will do it, but if you have a voltage drop while full tilt, it will cook the output section. I ran mine at .5 for a long time, did a lot of testing, and set the gain clean, then brought the sub output down until it only made 8-9k full tilt daily. Then set it so 1/2 way up on the bass knob was around 6-7k for burps.(S4) My knob has a detent at 1/2 way, so its a nice reference point.

Be careful if you run that 15K at .5 ohm , It will do it, but if you have a voltage drop while full tilt, it will cook the output section. I ran mine at .5 for a long time, did a lot of testing, and set the gain clean, then brought the sub output down until it only made 8-9k full tilt daily. Then set it so 1/2 way up on the bass knob was around 6-7k for burps.(S4) My knob has a detent at 1/2 way, so its a nice reference point.
what did you supply it with? how much current draw were you getting, voltage drop? any heat at .5?

what did you supply it with? how much current draw were you getting, voltage drop? any heat at .5?
Well, I'm feeding it with exactly what is in my signature down below here .... probably between 1200-1500 amps current draw, as at full tilt it will maintain 13.8-14.2v, and I have around 1300-1400 amps worth of alternators. I charge at 14.4v, so not much voltage drop, but some, as the current draw is pretty big ... Yes, it gets warm when running full tilt. But it comes with four fans, so never too warm ....

Well your electrical is a little stouter than mine and I been doing this a little while but still dont know all you guys do so probably should just leave it alone for now as this is the longest I have had my system stay together lol 8 months no problems what so ever. What I should done was recone to 1 ohm and be in a safer place. I still may.

Well your electrical is a little stouter than mine and I been doing this a little while but still dont know all you guys do so probably should just leave it alone for now as this is the longest I have had my system stay together lol 8 months no problems what so ever. What I should done was recone to 1 ohm and be in a safer place. I still may.
If you recone, go for .7 final ohm load. The new HD amps love it there. make great power, and it is safe .... That is where I am headed. going to recone d1.4, so I can run single subs at .7, or all four together at .7 .....then maybe, four 5K's @ .7 ......

Well, I'm feeding it with exactly what is in my signature down below here .... probably between 1200-1500 amps current draw, as at full tilt it will maintain 13.8-14.2v, and I have around 1300-1400 amps worth of alternators. I charge at 14.4v, so not much voltage drop, but some, as the current draw is pretty big ... Yes, it gets warm when running full tilt. But it comes with four fans, so never too warm ....
i figured these would need a lot of electrical but thats just absurd lol i mean maybe not since you dont have voltage drop but you built it up similar to what people do for 2 korean 8-10k's

if you get the opportunity to put a dc clamp meter on it and somehow get an "accurate" current number even if split among runs id be interested. for some reason i expected under 1000a of draw

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.