Volume is low but audio is very loud

gud

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
thanks to this website I recently upgraded my system from a really unbalanced setup to something that I'm more happy with. I have a rockford fosgate prime 1200w amp and a sundown audio 12 750w. I am using a prefab box (link) because I currently do not have the means to build one myself.

this has always been an issue for me, even with my old build. volume is extremely loud at like 10-15 when my pioneer stereo goes up to 62. I know this isn't right and I want to see what I'm doing wrong to fix it all

I've been looking around and what I found was that I should turn the volume up to 75%, set the gain all the way down, and play a bass tone while pushing the gain up slightly until it distorts. I must've done something wrong because even with this my audio volume was very high past the 10s on my stereo.

I'm very new to all of this and have no experience other than what I can find online. what should I be looking at, and what am I missing? thanks guys

Gud

Where you only playing a bass tone--no highs/music?

If so try playing what you like and what you think is the best sounding music and do the same again.

Turn all your bass/treble any boost you have to zero before hand then set it.When you think your close take drive and adjust your other setting as you go but do it in small amounts at a time and one adjustment at a time--It can take awhile if your picky---Just make a good time

Yocom

sounds like gain on amp is to high, turn it no more than 40% and try it.. your box is no where near big enough, the specs on that box are way off., i've check almost every box on ebay and sonic and amazon.. box i have is close to it's listed specs but port isn't wide enough (neither is yours) i'm checking a ground shaker box now that is 2.25 cf (maybe ad which would be great) i emailed them they checking port width and length for me anyway it's $99 (gray and black port on side box is 30" wide on ebay) wish i had your amp and sub..

sounds like gain on amp is to high, turn it no more than 40% and try it.. your box is no where near big enough, the specs on that box are way off., i've check almost every box on ebay and sonic and amazon.. box i have is close to it's listed specs but port isn't wide enough (neither is yours) i'm checking a ground shaker box now that is 2.25 cf (maybe ad which would be great) i emailed them they checking port width and length for me anyway it's $99 (gray and black port on side box is 30" wide on ebay) wish i had your amp and sub..
How are you getting 40%?

Op,

Preout voltage of the head unit controls the gain position on the amp.

Example- the alpine im guessing put out 4v at volume 30. Set the gain to 4v position, roughly 1/4 turn on most amps.

When you reached volume 30 the amps topped out. There's more to it then that. Stuff like musics recording gain overlaps. That will come in a later lesson.

The new pio might not put out its full preout voltage until 62.

Again this is just a rough example.

So depending on your preout voltage set the gain. 4v 1/4 turn, 2v 1/2 turn.

my point was he probably has gain 3/4 of the way up... also 40% is in between the #'s u suggested.. ya'll get to bent outta shape on gains when op diffently ain't gonna be matching his gains with a meter or anything.. i've read thousand of amp and sub reviews and u be suprised at how many say things like "amp work good with gain at 80%".. so i just say don't raise gain above 40% it's the closest to right most peeps will ever get..

Is just your bass really loud or all of your music?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
right now, depending on the song ofc the bass is much louder than the rest. At 10-11 volume on bass heavy songs it's very loud and I can't hear the rest of the music

right now, depending on the song ofc the bass is much louder than the rest. At 10-11 volume on bass heavy songs it's very loud and I can't hear the rest of the music
Back the gain down until it blends into the mid range. You probably have it way to high.

turn amp gain down.. if still not great u need amp on mids i guess., or at least a better hu.. what deck do u have? if u get a box twice that size u really be loud..

turn amp gain down.. if still not great u need amp on mids i guess., or at least a better hu.. what deck do u have? if u get a box twice that size u really be loud..
I have a pioneer x6700bt and other than my door speakers which I replaced with some kicker speakers, all the other speakers are stock

This box is huge already like a third of my trunk, can't really get something bigger right now unless I wanna lose my entire trunk. Moving after summer so that's not an option for me at the moment..

Are you playing any bass bosted tracks? If yes, delete them all, they all garbage.

On the head unit. Bass boost off, bass eq frequencies down on the EQ, loudness off.

Play music, turn the amp gain down. Turn it up to before the speaker distorts, then raise your amp gain till the subwoofer matches with your door speakers.

No bass bost on the amp either.

Do this and report back

Are you playing any bass bosted tracks? If yes, delete them all, they all garbage.
On the head unit. Bass boost off, bass eq frequencies down on the EQ, loudness off.

Play music, turn the amp gain down. Turn it up to before the speaker distorts, then raise your amp gain till the subwoofer matches with your door speakers.

No bass bost on the amp either.

Do this and report back
Thanks I'll try to do this this afternoon. On my headunit I have it set on loudness low and the powerful eq. Without the loudness set the sub is very quiet. So I shouldn't be using these at all?

GudPretty much what i suggested.In your first reply to your question

Yocom
I'll give that a shot

Thanks I'll try to do this this afternoon. On my headunit I have it set on loudness low and the powerful eq. Without the loudness set the sub is very quiet. So I shouldn't be using these at all?

I'll give that a shot
Yup you fked up with that a lot lol. loudness completely off. In your head unit there's a sub level setting. Raise the Sub level up very high to the max basically. head unit volume up high, then set your gains again.

EQ should never be at powerful, however if you like how it sounds like that then just go to customize and lower the 50 and 80hz range down to zero or basically the furthermost bars you see on the left side put that all flat to nothing. the EQ and loudness is the EXACT cause of your issues.

Yup you fked up with that a lot lol. loudness completely off. In your head unit there's a sub level setting. Raise the Sub level up very high to the max basically. head unit volume up high, then set your gains again.
EQ should never be at powerful, however if you like how it sounds like that then just go to customize and lower the 50 and 80hz range down to zero or basically the furthermost bars you see on the left side put that all flat to nothing. the EQ and loudness is the EXACT cause of your issues.
thanks, I'll play around with it later. is it bad for the EQ to be at powerful aside from the fact that it ruins the balance of audio such as in my case?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.