Help with an upgrade of my system?

Participant count
  • Participant list

gud

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
I have a fairly basic setup and am trying to upgrade. I know what I have now is very unbalanced so I'd like to fix it. I know really nothing about this stuff, just getting into it.

This is my understanding of my situation and what I should do, hopefully I have it right, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Current setup

• Right now I've got an amplifier that is rated at 1,200W RMS at 1-Ohm. That allows it to give out 800W RMS at 2-Ohm, and 400W RMS at 4-Ohm.
  • I have a 10 inch subwoofer that is rated at 275W RMS and it is a Dual 4-Ohm. Since my sub is a Dual 4-Ohm, when wired to the amp, the final impedance is 2-Ohm.
  • Since my amplifier is rated at 800W RMS at 2-Ohm, and my Dual 4-Ohm subwoofer is wired at 2-Ohm with 275W RMS, I am overpowering the subwoofer by 525W RMS.

My ideal choice is to upgrade my subwoofer, rather than my amp. So here are my options.

Option 1

• Remove my current subwoofer and subwoofer enclosure, purchase a dual subwoofer enclosure.
  • Purchase two Dual 4-Ohm 200W RMS subwoofers.
  • When the two Dual 4-Ohm 200W RMS subwoofers are wired to my amplifier, they will be wired at a 4-Ohm impedance with a combined total of 400W RMS.
  • Since my amplifier is rated at 400W RMS for 4-Ohm, this is a perfect match and my subwoofers and amplifier will be at an equal RMS rating. (That's good, right?)

Option 2

• Remove my current subwoofer, purchase a Dual 4-Ohm 750W RMS subwoofer and replace my current with that
  • Since the new subwoofer is a Dual 4-Ohm, when wired to the amp, it will give off 2-Ohm of impedance.
  • Since my amplifier is rated at 800W RMS for 2-Ohm setups, I would be overpowering my subwoofer by approximately 50W RMS, which is close enough to exact that it shouldn't matter.

Again I am a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff and am not sure if what I wrote is correct. I would greatly appreciate any help fixing mistakes I made in my reasoning and help pick which the best option would be for an upgrade.

Thanks guys

I have a fairly basic setup and am trying to upgrade. I know what I have now is very unbalanced so I'd like to fix it. I know really nothing about this stuff, just getting into it.This is my understanding of my situation and what I should do, hopefully I have it right, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Current setup

• Right now I've got an amplifier that is rated at 1,200W RMS at 1-Ohm. That allows it to give out 800W RMS at 2-Ohm, and 400W RMS at 4-Ohm.
  • I have a 10 inch subwoofer that is rated at 275W RMS and it is a Dual 4-Ohm. Since my sub is a Dual 4-Ohm, when wired to the amp, the final impedance is 2-Ohm.
  • Since my amplifier is rated at 800W RMS at 2-Ohm, and my Dual 4-Ohm subwoofer is wired at 2-Ohm with 275W RMS, I am overpowering the subwoofer by 525W RMS.

My ideal choice is to upgrade my subwoofer, rather than my amp. So here are my options.

Option 1

• Remove my current subwoofer and subwoofer enclosure, purchase a dual subwoofer enclosure.
  • Purchase two Dual 4-Ohm 200W RMS subwoofers.
  • When the two Dual 4-Ohm 200W RMS subwoofers are wired to my amplifier, they will be wired at a 4-Ohm impedance with a combined total of 400W RMS.
  • Since my amplifier is rated at 400W RMS for 4-Ohm, this is a perfect match and my subwoofers and amplifier will be at an equal RMS rating. (That's good, right?)

Option 2

• Remove my current subwoofer, purchase a Dual 4-Ohm 750W RMS subwoofer and replace my current with that
  • Since the new subwoofer is a Dual 4-Ohm, when wired to the amp, it will give off 2-Ohm of impedance.
  • Since my amplifier is rated at 800W RMS for 2-Ohm setups, I would be overpowering my subwoofer by approximately 50W RMS, which is close enough to exact that it shouldn't matter.

Again I am a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff and am not sure if what I wrote is correct. I would greatly appreciate any help fixing mistakes I made in my reasoning and help pick which the best option would be for an upgrade.

Thanks guys

Your reasoning is sound. No pun intended.

What type of vehicle and how much space to work with?

Your reasoning is sound. No pun intended.

What type of vehicle and how much space to work with?
thank you, I am working with a Pontiac G6 coupe. the trunk has room for size upgrade so that shouldn't be an issue

Why are people afraid to mention brand names??
Too much to read right now...

You know way more than I do.

Here are the cliff notes lol

He's overpowering current sub.

His amp puts out 800rms at 2ohms.

Should he buy one 750 rms sub or buy 2 200rms wires at 4ohms

I vote the 750 DVC4.

thanks for the help man
No worries bud. Somebody else will give a better suggestion I'm sure, but if space is not a concern and you can fit the correct sized enclosure for whatever sub you chose, I would go with a single larger and make use of the rated power your amp will push.

Also consider what you want out of the sub...quality or loud and What type of music you listen to.

No worries bud. Somebody else will give a better suggestion I'm sure, but if space is not a concern and you can fit the correct sized enclosure for whatever sub you chose, I would go with a single larger and make use of the rated power your amp will push.

Also consider what you want out of the sub...quality or loud and What type of music you listen to.
I listen to a lot of music varying from rock to hip hop, but I'd say hip hop/rap being the most. I like loud but filling bass. I've been in cars with bass that fills the entire cabin on notes but mine just seems really punchy and loud. I guess getting a 12 would be the best bet for me then. I'll keep looking to be sure though

Yeah. 12" and build a ported enclosure to spec
what do you mean by to spec?

also when I get the new box and sub should I be set if I just wire everything exactly as it is with my current setup? Nothing should change because of the size?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.