American Bass VFL 8"s Bottoming out. why?

Rangerboats

La.
Hi guys and thanks once again for a little more help. I installed all of my Stereo Equipment today and got it all going. A quick run down for those who didn't read my other "Please Help" Post. I installed a Kenwood DDX774BH, Cresendo 6.5 component set on a bostic Acustic 2125 and two Dual 4 AB VFL 8"s sub's on a Incriminator 10.1. The big three is done and a Duracell AGM battery is under the hood. The sub sonic filter is set at 28hz on the amp

I didn't make my own box because, well because I don't know what I am doing, I bought a Atrends box and put the subwoofers into that box and as best as I can figure that box has to much air space for my subs or the port is all wrong at 30Hz because the subwoofers are unloading big time. This is the box I bought

https://www.atrendusa.com/digital-designs-8-dual-vented

So may I get a little help? Do you guys think it is the box and I need to have one made to spec for the subwoofers? Where would I get the exact specs for a ported box for two 8's VFL? Could it be something else going on? Maybe the amp is just to big for those subwoofers? Thank you all for your help on this

Thanks guys, I raised the SS Filter but at a higher volume they are still unloading on me. I'm going to see about getting a box made to spec for the subwoofers because I am very happy with the sound I just worry that I'm going to damage my sub's when they do that. Thanks again.

My hds208s would bottom out pretty easily. They are basically the same sub. Mine would bottom out like 1-2hz below tuning. Granted it was on over rated power. But i dont really think the sub design is all that good. They wouldnt really be loud until that point, then they'd bottom out easy.

They were in a csc stang box. So i know it wasnt the box. Overall, having used sa8v2's in the past, the SQs were a definate downgrade

My hds208s would bottom out pretty easily. They are basically the same sub. Mine would bottom out like 1-2hz below tuning. Granted it was on over rated power. But i dont really think the sub design is all that good. They wouldnt really be loud until that point, then they'd bottom out easy.
They were in a csc stang box. So i know it wasnt the box. Overall, having used sa8v2's in the past, the SQs were a definate downgrade
Were the Sundown 8"s a lot better? as in worth the price? I was looking at those but at $200 for the SA VS $99 for the American Bass, I went with the VFL's. Maybe I should sell mine and buy the SA sub's? I'm kinda new to this and want something nice, I like the sound of the sub's I have now but just like you said, when you get them to really start sounding good they begin to bottom out.

Also, Maybe I am over powering the subwoofer's, I have them wired to 1-ohm on a Incriminator 10.1 so they are seeing around 550 to 650 watts each and are only rated for 400-RMS. Should I rewire them to a 4-ohm load? Then they would be getting around 200 watts each? I set the gain and I do NOT know what I am doing but my head unit has 4 volt pre outs so I just set the amp gain to 4 volts also. Wouldn't this be the right way of doing it? Thanks.

EDIT....... I do not have the bass boost turned on at all. I set it to 0 on my head unit

EDIT Again.......both the SQ box and the DD box have the exact spec's, after you pointed that out. Now I really don't know what to think, one is listed at 30Hz and the other is listed at 41Hz. Why does this stuff have to be so complicated?

Since money is subjective to each person, its hard for me to say if its worth it.

What I can say is that the hds is not really an 8 id suggest to people. Id put the sa8, sundown x8, dc m3 8, atomic apx8 and quite a few others above them. All of those have a higher price tag. But even in the same range, id suggest the e8v5 over the hds.

Power shouldnt be a concern in your application. I was running a 3500 at 0.5. The one thing I can say about the hds, is that the coil thermally can certainly handle well above rated. I was set clean and with some headroom, but i railed on them pretty hard and never had a thermal issue... but mechanically, i smacked the coil on the back plate quite a few times

I swapped a couple of ZVX 8's into a 1.25 Aeroported to 34hz and those subs sing! I re-baffled my son's RE Audio ***-10 box for 8's and they SUB on only 600 RMS...

I haven't heard a sub bottom out since someone tried to free-air a Stroker.... "Talk about GOD snapping his fingers!"...hopefully I never hear that again... They are a versatile 8" sub and they say it only has a response to 40 hz but require a box tuned in the mid-low 30's to really shine... $165 ea... A sure bet to make you smile!

I swapped a couple of ZVX 8's into a 1.25 Aeroported to 34hz and those subs sing! I re-baffled my son's RE Audio ***-10 box for 8's and they SUB on only 600 RMS...I haven't heard a sub bottom out since someone tried to free-air a Stroker.... "Talk about GOD snapping his fingers!"...hopefully I never hear that again... They are a versatile 8" sub and they say it only has a response to 40 hz but require a box tuned in the mid-low 30's to really shine... $165 ea... A sure bet to make you smile!
Just curious how old are you?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.