What is louder? More cone area, more power, or more drivers?

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
Assuming each example has max recommended airspace and max power, what would make more of a difference in SPL? More cone area, more drivers, or more power?

Say you have 2 SA-12s getting 1500 total, vs 1 SA-18 getting 750. Or maybe 3 SA-10s each getting 750 vs 2 SA-12s each getting 750? Or 1 SA-12 getting 750 vs 2 SA-12s only getting 325 a piece? Or one SA-12 on 750 vs one higher level 12 on its respective max power? Or one SA-12 on 750 vs one SA-18 on 325?

My theory is that 2 SA-12s have less cone area than one SA-18, but the 2 12s have a combined total of 38mm of xmax, where the one sa-18 only has 19mm. So I think that the 2 SA-12s would be louder.

Assuming each example has max recommended airspace and max power, what would make more of a difference in SPL? More cone area, more drivers, or more power?
Say you have 2 SA-12s getting 1500 total, vs 1 SA-18 getting 750. Or maybe 3 SA-10s each getting 750 vs 2 SA-12s each getting 750? Or 1 SA-12 getting 750 vs 2 SA-12s only getting 325 a piece? Or one SA-12 on 750 vs one higher level 12 on its respective max power? Or one SA-12 on 750 vs one SA-18 on 325?

My theory is that 2 SA-12s have less cone area than one SA-18, but the 2 12s have a combined total of 38mm of xmax, where the one sa-18 only has 19mm. So I think that the 2 SA-12s would be louder.
You're thinking about the xmax wrong bro. When the xmax is the same on the two 12s separately and the 18 it's only cone area

You're thinking about the xmax wrong bro. When the xmax is the same on the two 12s separately and the 18 it's only cone area
Oh so it doesn't add up? Like if you have 2 12s that each have 10mm of xmax, vs one 18 with 10mm of xmax. I shouldn't be adding the xmax of each 12 to make it 20mm?

A good quick way to estimate is as follows, higher is better. This is not 100% accurate, but is a better method than any other I've seen to date. This doesn't take into consideration anything but raw efficiency. You also have to consider power compression, linear excursion, etc.

[(BL^2/RE)/MMS]*SD*Number of Subs

To break it down:

(BL^2/RE) = motor force "factor". Motor force without resistance factored in. You can grab these specs from the TS of the sub.

MMS = moving mass. Less moving mass, given the same motor force, means a more efficient sub

SD = piston area of a sub, this is a tad more accurate than just using cone area. Multiply this by number of subs to get total piston area

I've always heard cone area is king!

I think this would hold true until substantial power differences. Ex: 2 12's on 5000 watts vs 1 18 on 2000 watts. I would think in this case the 2 12s would be "louder."

Yeah I know it does lol. That's the reason i made this thread. I'm considering selling my SA-12 and the little prefab box the guy sold it to me in for $200, and buy a SA-18. It would be cheaper than buying another SA-12, and then buying a bigger amp to give them proper power.

I've always heard cone area is king!I think this would hold true until substantial power differences. Ex: 2 12's on 5000 watts vs 1 18 on 2000 watts. I would think in this case the 2 12s would be "louder."
Yeah I've heard cone area is king too. In my experience (which isn't much), the same size sub on the same power will always be the same loudness. Going from my kicker CVR 12 to an SA-12 on same power didn't make any difference. When I got a bigger amp to put on the SA-12 though it did make a difference.

With today's much technology built into subwoofers and many new brands that aren't mainstream, I'm starting to think that chart is becoming obsolete due to too many factors which come into play such as power, enclosure, vehicle, etc. Not to mention many amps that can do 1000's of watts.

Yeah I've heard cone area is king too. In my experience (which isn't much), the same size sub on the same power will always be the same loudness. Going from my kicker CVR 12 to an SA-12 on same power didn't make any difference. When I got a bigger amp to put on the SA-12 though it did make a difference.
We're either ported?

Yeah that makes complete sense to me. From there it would come down to enclosure, vehicle, etc. I'm learning that understanding how to put the woofer(s) in its best possible condition to perform to its maximum potential is key.

I vote for all the above, more cone area, more power, and more drivers ! Cant go wrong lol! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.