Do Sundown subs just smell?

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
Ok 2 years ago I had 4 Obsidian Audio 15s. I'm pretty sure that Obsidian was run by the same man who runs Sundown, so I guess they are similar. They always smelled no matter what. Sometimes I'd just get in the car and there would be a slight smell. They never even got hot or warm and they smelled a little.

Now I have a Sundown SA-12 and it's doing the same thing. I just now got home and I was smelling somethig and so I got out and felt it and NOTHING. No heat at all. But it still smells a little!

So in your experiences, do sundown subs just smell for some reason? I know that some times I clip my subs a tad, but its nothing crazy. I have set my gains correctly.

And also, this SA-12 got hot on me one afternoon. I didn't smell anything though. I was just setting my gains and it got hotter than normal so I quit until it cooled down but it didn't smell at all...

is it new?, my pioneer stunk like h**L 1st week.. peeps even said so on couple reviews,, just gotta break in.. got a new fan in house it smelled like hot plastic 1s week too..

is it new?, my pioneer stunk like h**L 1st week.. peeps even said so on couple reviews,, just gotta break in.. got a new fan in house it smelled like hot plastic 1s week too..
It's 3 weeks old. I bought it from a guy last Tuesday and he showed me the receipt. He played it for me and he was clipping it like crazy and it got hot quick but I couldn't smell anything. But it's definetly broken in.

Yeah baked coil and glue if they guy was clipping it.

I had a bad smelling pioneer out the box buying open box once. Still worked fine but coil is probably beat to sh*t

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok 2 years ago I had 4 Obsidian Audio 15s. I'm pretty sure that Obsidian was run by the same man who runs Sundown, so I guess they are similar. They always smelled no matter what. Sometimes I'd just get in the car and there would be a slight smell. They never even got hot or warm and they smelled a little.
Now I have a Sundown SA-12 and it's doing the same thing. I just now got home and I was smelling somethig and so I got out and felt it and NOTHING. No heat at all. But it still smells a little!

So in your experiences, do sundown subs just smell for some reason? I know that some times I clip my subs a tad, but its nothing crazy. I have set my gains correctly.

And also, this SA-12 got hot on me one afternoon. I didn't smell anything though. I was just setting my gains and it got hotter than normal so I quit until it cooled down but it didn't smell at all...
In bold black, diff person(s)

You pretty much answered your own question in red. Slowly clipping subs and you know it....will result in death. Of the speakers.

In bold black, diff person(s)
You pretty much answered your own question in red. Slowly clipping subs and you know it....will result in death. Of the speakers.
its like barely clipping though. I had those 4 15s for 6 months maybe more and my amp had a bass remote with a clipping indicator and it only clipped on the peaks. Like the kick drum transients (initial hits).
I clipped my kicker CVR the same amount and it never smelled. And the CVR is a 2007 model lol.

The guy that I bought this sundown from had this thing clipping like crazy for 3 WEEKS. He was clipping it more than I would EVER even CONSIDER doing. If that **** didn't kill it, then I don't think the little bit of clipping on mine will kill it. Like no **** he had his amp on max and his HU all the way up.

So your pretty much saying it's ok to clip those subs just because the guy before you did it? A huge no no. Monkey see, monkey do.

So if he jumped off a bridge, your gonna do the same?

You can/could clip a sub a little or a lot. It's still gonna kill the sub, eventually. It may not be tomorrow or the next day but over time, it'll happen.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Always hated that line. I've jumped off many bridges and enjoyed it.
As long as there's water on the bottom, right?!

So your pretty much saying it's ok to clip those subs just because the guy before you did it? A huge no no. Monkey see, monkey do.
So if he jumped off a bridge, your gonna do the same?
No I'm saying I don't clip it nearly as bad as the other dude did. And also it only clips on certain songs. I set my gains by playing a few decaf/bass boosted songs and raising the gain until I hear distortion then I back off. I use a few different songs and set the gain somewhere in between. Trust me dude I don't clip badly.

I'm saying that the guy I bought the sub from clipped it to a literal SQUARE wave. I SOME TIMES clip it to maybe a slightly squished sine wave :p.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.