8" Carbon Fiber Midbass/Mirange Pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciaonzo
5,000+ posts

TheContinental
WI
Item(s) for Sale:

Pair of high efficiency McCauley HX32 honeycomb composite midbass drivers from the MLA series line array touring cabinets.

Item(s) Description/Condition:

Beautiful condition, one is older and shows a bit more age (see photos). These things are clean and powerful but all PA gear is, right? No, I mean these things stroke like 3/4" of an inch and don't make any mechanical noise or inter-modulation distortion because the cone is so stiff and there's copper in the motor. The clarity and detail in the midrange is unbelievable, and the midbass attack is awesome. The cone is a super-light, multi-layered composite sandwich construction with real carbon fiber, not fiberglass masquerading as carbon fiber. So stiff, you can push anywhere on the back of the cone and the entire cone moves up and down instead of the edge simply flexing.

I believe these are built by B&C Speaker for McCauley and you cannot find these drivers anywhere. They are 8 ohm but at such high sensitivity (96dB1w/1m), they will still play far louder than your normal 4 ohm gear, and by a lot. I fed them 30-60 real watts and it was all I could stand. They stroked like crazy and kept up with the TC Sounds NEO 18 with no problem. That is no easy task because that thing is loud. With some of today's full range digital amplifiers offering tons of front stage wattage, you could really beat these things up on a real 100-120 watts but they are rated for a real 400w. You can absolutely abuse these from 50-60Hz on up and they stay clean, clean, clean. Hope your doors are up to the task.

Price:

$250 shipped, CONUS. Possibly open to offers but I will ignore lowballing.

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

CONUS only, please.

Item Pictures:

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone wanted to get real serious about their front stage, I've also got a BNIB pair of Aurum Cantus Ribbons that have the same sensitivity. I'd be happy to work out a deal for the combination. Would require some work to install but it would make a killer active setup able to keep up with nearly anything. Linky but let me know if you're serious and want actual picks of all of it together. --> Aurum cantus

Well all be dam. They're made here in WA? Didn't know that.Looks like location closed. They no longer in business?

For those who are wondering what that would look like, lol.

The protective film is in place over the ribbon elements, I'll let a potential buyer remove that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful!
Thank you. I know most won't attempt an install like that but it doesn't hurt to inspire.
would be mighty loud and clean off of very little wattage!

Man talk about a intro. I came out of curiosity and after reading that I'm think what should I trade for these speakers that I don't need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...