12 inch sub for sealed box?

ALDJ253

I am looking for a 12 inch sub that does well in a sealed box. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The JL W6 is out of my price range. I have also heard the RF P3 might be good for this, but some people say that the P3 is garbage, and there are better subs out there. Any opinions on the P3?

I am looking for a 12 inch sub that does well in a sealed box. Does anyone have any recommendations?
The JL W6 is out of my price range. I have also heard the RF P3 might be good for this, but some people say that the P3 is garbage, and there are better subs out there. Any opinions on the P3?
I've got a JL Audio 12" slim line sub in my sealed box and it sounds pretty da mn nice!

John Kuthe...

What amp do you have powering it? The one in your list? Also, how big is the box?
Yes, I have my Alpine PDX-V9 powering it from it's 500W sub output. Box is a little over a cu ft, 18x18x7 outside dimensions out of 3/4 birch 7 ply plywood.

John Kuthe...

The p3 is solid for what it is imo, I wouldn't recommend a shallow mount woofer, better can be had for the money, what're you trying to invest in this roughly.
I would! My Alpine 12" slim line sub AND my JL Audio 12" slim line sub both were/are pretty nice!

John Kuthe...

I would! My Alpine 12" slim line sub AND my JL Audio 12" slim line sub both were/are pretty nice!
John Kuthe...
You should try listening to a real sub then you would toss that thing in the garbage. Slim subs are only used as a last resort when clarance is a major problem. Stop giving really bad advice at something you know nothing about.

You should try listening to a real sub then you would toss that thing in the garbage. Slim subs are only used as a last resort when clarance is a major problem. Stop giving really bad advice at something you know nothing about.
Yes I know. That's why equipment makers are making slim line subs, because like me not everyone wants to lug around a YUGE speaker cabinet! And they make them pretty nice too!

John Kuthe...

Yes I know. That's why equipment makers are making slim line subs, because like me not everyone wants to lug around a YUGE speaker cabinet! And they make them pretty nice too!
John Kuthe...
Unlike you, most people would sacrifice 3" of clearance to have a proper speaker.

Unlike you, most people would sacrifice 3" of clearance to have a proper speaker.
Unlike me, most here are not restricted by a very limited installation space too. They sacrifice their entire vehicle for a sound system. Not me, I want MY vehicle for a whole lot more than only a sound system!

And you can stuff your "proper" speaker!

John Kuthe...

The p3 is solid for what it is imo, I wouldn't recommend a shallow mount woofer, better can be had for the money, what're you trying to invest in this roughly.
Okay, so the P3 isn't bad? I am trying for around maybe $250 for the sub alone.

Budget, box size and amp to power it?
- $250 for the sub.

- Box Size of my current cheap 12s (2 memphis pr12d4v2) in a prefab at (W) 30.00" x (H) 13.75" x (D) 17.25 (https://www.amazon.com/E12DSV-Shared-Vented-Enclosure-Rockford/dp/B0013MYXDO). This I got for fairly cheap to hold me over for a while. I can go this big for a box, but I am wanting more room in my trunk.

- Amp, my current one is dead, which is putting me in the market for one. I am trying to keep it around 500 watts rms to make sure I don't have to do more than the big 3, but I have been told that my car can handle 1000 watts rms stock, but I do not plan on going near that. (2004 Acura TSX). Someone linked me this amp in my amp question: AudioPipe APCL15001D

First things first, definitely consider building or getting a custom box built, you'll be much more satisfied with your overall investment if you do.

As for a woofer recommendation, i'd suggest a DC level 1 or 2, they're surprisingly stout woofers with an rms rating in your range and DC subs love smaller airspace so you could build a box about half the size of your current one or smaller even for a couple 10s or single 12.

And for an amp there's plenty of options, i'd lean more towards the twisted sounds 600.1, its a pretty solid budget amp.

First things first, definitely consider building or getting a custom box built, you'll be much more satisfied with your overall investment if you do.
As for a woofer recommendation, i'd suggest a DC level 1 or 2, they're surprisingly stout woofers with an rms rating in your range and DC subs love smaller airspace so you could build a box about half the size of your current one or smaller even for a couple 10s or single 12.

And for an amp there's plenty of options, i'd lean more towards the twisted sounds 600.1, its a pretty solid budget amp.
Okay, I will look more into the DC subs and the TS amp. I Am planning on a custom built box for sure, which is why I am leaning towards sealed, because I know good ported boxes are usually huge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.