How do you assemble a box?

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
Do you guys just use glue and clamps or do you screw it? Last box I did I just used clamps and glue but that takes too long. How do I use screws and glue instead? I'm honestly just really confused about how to go about using screws. How do you still pilot holes that line up? How do you screw it in through glue without getting it everywhere?

I just did a small box for a jl 10tw3 and I used glue, clamps and a brad nailer. Worked just fine for me. For larger, heavy duty boxes ^^^^ would be the way to do it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I just did a small box for a jl 10tw3 and I used glue, clamps and a brad nailer. Worked just fine for me. For larger, heavy duty boxes ^^^^ would be the way to do it.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I did for my previous box but it takes too long unless you have like 20 clamps

Just make sure it's clamped while you're drilling pilot holes then after you add the glue the first screw should pull the boards back into alignment and the rest will have no problem. You'll get a feel for how much glue you need and eventually you'll have minimal excess.

I prefer to use clamps but I do a lot of other woodworking and covering screw holes is an unnecessary chore in my opinion.

Takes too long to assemble a box.....I haven't heard those words before (sarcasm)

If you don't like being patient, perhaps car audio isn't for you.

Unless a person had a brad nail airgun, some clamps, and glue, one could be put together fairly quickly.

People spend countless hours on just a sub enclosure alone. And the end results are usually phenomenal...it's the amount of details involved that get noticed most.

Takes too long to assemble a box.....I haven't heard those words before (sarcasm)
If you don't like being patient, perhaps car audio isn't for you.

Unless a person had a brad nail airgun, some clamps, and glue, one could be put together fairly quickly.

People spend countless hours on just a sub enclosure alone. And the end results are usually phenomenal...it's the amount of details involved that get noticed most.
Screws and glue!! See?

16406569_1271737926220018_3438180659282855301_n.jpg

John Kuthe...

Ok I will just use clamps. I went and bought 3 clamps and some wood glue. I'm just gonna **** it up and take my time to do it.

Does anyone know how to use threaded rod for bracing? I'm not going to use it for this box but I'm curious. Do you thread the rod all the way through the box or do you just drill a hole that's just a tad bigger than the rod diameter and stick it through?

Ok I will just use clamps. I went and bought 3 clamps and some wood glue. I'm just gonna **** it up and take my time to do it.
Does anyone know how to use threaded rod for bracing? I'm not going to use it for this box but I'm curious. Do you thread the rod all the way through the box or do you just drill a hole that's just a tad bigger than the rod diameter and stick it through?
Make sure and spread glue thinly on entire bonding surfaces, both! Then screws to pull the glued surfaces together and keep paper towels handy to wipe up glue drips. LET DRY!

John Kuthe...

Screws and glue!! See?
16406569_1271737926220018_3438180659282855301_n.jpg

John Kuthe...
So what exactly are you trying to prove to me? I seriously doubt you built that box. I've been building/assembling enclosures for years.....got some exp behind me. In fact I can install an amp or two.

Can you install an amp?

Measure the threaded rod outside dia. Then use a drill bit that size to drill a hole for the threaded rod to go thru.

Measure the threaded rod outside dia. Then use a drill bit that size to drill a hole for the threaded rod to go thru.
I think I did that when I first tried to use threaded rod but it just didn't work for some reason and I gave up. I will try it again in the future thanks. I think what I did was drill a hole the exact size of the diameter of the rod and I actually had to spin the rod and thread it into the box like a screw.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.