Need help with amp repair

jsmitty
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I purchased a Fultron Memphis Belle 6 channel amp off eBay a while back. Got it for a decent price, not knowing the condition. I've never put power to the amp to test whether or not it even powers up, but one of the subwoofer speaker output terminal blocks is loose and visibly damaged. I finally got around to opening it up to find that said terminal block is separated from the circuit board. Aside from this, no other visual signs of damage. I called Zed to ask about repairing it but he won't touch it, says Memphis is too unreliable. Any recommendations on places or members who do quality work repairing older amps?

memphis too unreliable is a bunch of BS. Many people use Memphis Audio.

Try amp-medics?

Makes me wonder how that got that much damaged. Looks like a cutter gouge...Im a machinist by trade so I see things on the daily. Do you have a link to that amp from ebay? Seller didn't say anything about it being broken huh?

My guess is someone stripped a set screw and tried using an easy-out for the first time.... But, iirc I picked it up from a pawn shop eBay store for real cheap, so no surprise. The thing is built like a brick **** house, so I'd hate to have a 2 ft paper weight. I'll def check out amp-medics. Thanks!

memphis too unreliable is a bunch of BS.
You don't think after 30+ years of designing and repairing amps that Stephen doesn't have some idea about amp design? My guess is if he won't touch it it's because folks have had trouble with that model in the past. Ampmedics refusing to work on it lends a bit of weight to that theory as well.

Amp-Medics is a no go
DB-R in Texas does good work and The Amp Lab in Maine does a bit of amp repair though I know they're swamped in work at the moment. Might contact Memphis and see who their authorized repair guy is these days. Often the authorized repair shops have access to oddball parts.

Last resort would be to just go old-school and solder some #4 cable right to the board. Memphis Belle is a cool old-school amp though so hopefully you can get your money's worth out of purchase price + repair cost. I've had an issue in the past with having a power terminal broken off an amp in shipping and I can tell you it might be very difficult to source a new terminal that fits. Good luck!

If no one can come up with a terminal, I might go that route. In the mean time I'll see what DB-R says. Thanks for the response!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.