Anyone fancy helping me - Hertz ML2500 10"

Alex JB
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm making a sealed box for this sub and the data sheet info only talks about sealed.

I'm making a 25 litre (net) sealed box that tucks away nicely, but I I have a lot more boot space available and I'm thinking of a ported box that goes lower.

Who fancies offering any ideas?

954631fdc56569a5582bfe78b7610b81.jpg

26766800224d4bd63ae06c044925783a.jpg

Sealed box so far

ad23f0f7710de2c79ea09b38ce592882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it's designed to do sealed.
You mean ported?

Looks to me like it's designed around sealed applications.

OP, if you have a little more space you can probably go a little bigger for a bit more low extension and output, but it looks to me like the manufacturer suggested sealed box is pretty close to optimum for good sound.

I found some data for the ML2500 the series I have

0664b01af3771f6e6dae509277195f33.jpg

Seems quite different to the ML2500.3 info on the Hertz site

I would much prefer the flatter profile of the second ported box if it's realistic.

Can't find the thiele-small parameters for the series 1 though

The 'performance' ported box seems to be 22.7 litres and only a tiny bit of port.

I would guess like 1.3 or 1.4cu ported. Generally these style subs do not do well in large boxes. I had an older hi energy 12 in 2.25cu ported. Sounded good enough, but i know it would have been much more crisp down around 1.8cu

The ML2500.3 box info on the Hertz website suggests a sealed 26 (0.92cu ft)litre box.

The ported box for the original ML2500 is 22.7 litres (0.8 cu ft), does it make sense that the sealed box would be larger than the ported one?

I have about 35 litres (1.15 cu ft) available with the box shape I have so far, not sure what to build

I would follow their recommendation unless there's serious data saying otherwise, some subs are created with parameters allowing them to perform better in small ported enclosures even though it may defy the logic of sealed vs ported. After bracing and displacement your volume will likely be close to what they recommend

You mean ported?
Looks to me like it's designed around sealed applications.

OP, if you have a little more space you can probably go a little bigger for a bit more low extension and output, but it looks to me like the manufacturer suggested sealed box is pretty close to optimum for good sound.
Does that mean that with my Alpine SWR-bt12 12" subwoofer I designed a bit larger than Alpine's recommendation for a sealed enclosure that too may get "..a bit more low extension and output..." I was hoping so!

John Kuthe...

The ML2500.3 box info on the Hertz website suggests a sealed 26 (0.92cu ft)litre box.The ported box for the original ML2500 is 22.7 litres (0.8 cu ft), does it make sense that the sealed box would be larger than the ported one?

I have about 35 litres (1.15 cu ft) available with the box shape I have so far, not sure what to build

Generally high Q and low FS makes for a far better sealed box performer. Ported likely will give you more output around peak but possibly at the expense of flat response. you can download WinISD if you want to try and model it. As I said, just looking at the specs I'd say that sub is built around 1 cube sealed for optimum performance. Higher Fs and lower Qts is a sign that a sub will really benefit more from ported alignment.

Does that mean that with my Alpine SWR-bt12 12" subwoofer I designed a bit larger than Alpine's recommendation for a sealed enclosure that too may get "..a bit more low extension and output..." I was hoping so!
John Kuthe...
Probably, but from every one I've seen Type R really shines in ported so you're shooting yourself in the foot to own that sub and not go ported.

Generally high Q and low FS makes for a far better sealed box performer. Ported likely will give you more output around peak but possibly at the expense of flat response. you can download WinISD if you want to try and model it. As I said, just looking at the specs I'd say that sub is built around 1 cube sealed for optimum performance. Higher Fs and lower Qts is a sign that a sub will really benefit more from ported alignment.

Probably, but from every one I've seen Type R really shines in ported so you're shooting yourself in the foot to own that sub and not go ported.
I'm not going for competition type bass response, just listening level bass to take the low bass off my SPR-69's below what they can adequately perform. And I think it gonna sound pretty good!

John Kuthe...

A ported box doesn't always mean super loud boomy muddy bass. If anything, a well designed and built box for that Type R (which, based on all other design decisions made on your build, would likely not happen) could sound much more pleasing.

A ported box doesn't always mean super loud boomy muddy bass. If anything, a well designed and built box for that Type R (which, based on all other design decisions made on your build, would likely not happen) could sound much more pleasing.
Could yes, but a sealed enclosure normally just needs more power to achieve basically the same performance as a properly designed ported subwoofer enclosure, I think.

I'm sure mine will sound just fine. And in case not, I've already talked with my installer guy about the future possibility of have him build a new down firing sub enclosure in the same space my sealed enclosure is in right now! Very limited space!

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.