New Active setup, not liking it.

dvrmstrng
5,000+ posts

DE
Setup is a DEH-80 PRS

Dayton RS180-P 4ohm mids

Vifa XT25 tweets

Doors were completely sealed and massively deadened. The mids are crossed via the head unit at 60hz/12db slope. Tweeters high passed as 2.5kz. Gains moderately set for now. In order to get what seems to be ANY bass out of my mids I have to high pass them at 25hz. I thought these were considered pretty beefy mids (sometimes called a 7" mid) and I have read threads that say they can hold some people over without a sub (no sub for me at the moment) because they have pretty beefy midbass.

I have the RCAs setup correct (front on deck = mids, rear = tweeters). Any idea what else I could be missing? My amp is a PPI900.4 both front and rear set to "full" so the amp bypasses its internal xovers.

Setup is a DEH-80 PRSDayton RS180-P 4ohm mids

Vifa XT25 tweets

Doors were completely sealed and massively deadened. The mids are crossed via the head unit at 60hz/12db slope. Tweeters high passed as 2.5kz. Gains moderately set for now. In order to get what seems to be ANY bass out of my mids I have to high pass them at 25hz. I thought these were considered pretty beefy mids (sometimes called a 7" mid) and I have read threads that say they can hold some people over without a sub (no sub for me at the moment) because they have pretty beefy midbass.

I have the RCAs setup correct (front on deck = mids, rear = tweeters). Any idea what else I could be missing? My amp is a PPI900.4 both front and rear set to "full" so the amp bypasses its internal xovers.
try wiring one out of phase and play with the EQ a bit.

just saw the high pass 25hz thing. What you are searching for is bass that can only come from a subwoofer. Those mids are used for 80hz and up man. they arent meant to play any lower. Mainly for kick drums etc.. not any type of boom.

try wiring one out of phase and play with the EQ a bit.
I will make sure they are in phase tomorrow, but I am pretty sure they all are.

What you expect for bass may be unrealistic despite oversized woofers with an Fs in the upper 30s. Do you have a subwoofer?
No. Don't plan on one either. I just thought there would be more bass output (bass, not midbass) based off of reviews.

just saw the high pass 25hz thing. What you are searching for is bass that can only come from a subwoofer. Those mids are used for 80hz and up man. they arent meant to play any lower. Mainly for kick drums etc.. not any type of boom.
The high pass at 25 was just for testing. Realistically i'll likely set them to 60hz with 18db slope or 80/12.

I will make sure they are in phase tomorrow, but I am pretty sure they all are.

No. Don't plan on one either. I just thought there would be more bass output (bass, not midbass) based off of reviews.

The high pass at 25 was just for testing. Realistically i'll likely set them to 60hz with 18db slope or 80/12.
sometimes even if they are wired properly, they are still out of phase due to a multitude of possible reasons, thats why you just test one of them out of phase to see any changes.

sometimes even if they are wired properly, they are still out of phase due to a multitude of possible reasons, thats why you just test one of them out of phase to see any changes.
I will check tonight. My 2008 Trailblazer's stock system (junk 6.5" in doors, 3" in dash and 5.25" in rear doors) sounds like it has subwoofers compared to this new setup.

I will check tonight. My 2008 Trailblazer's stock system (junk 6.5" in doors, 3" in dash and 5.25" in rear doors) sounds like it has subwoofers compared to this new setup.
Stock speakers are fullrange speakers which means they can play subsonic bass frequencies pretty well. These are midbass woofers so they wont even get anywhere close to the range your stocks was playing. Again, you are having unreal expectations out of a driver that wasnt meant to play those frequencies. Aka down to 40hz with the boom. You arent gonna get any boom with a driver that can only play 80hz and up because thats no where close to the range the stocks can hit. Aftermarket does not equal to more bass, quite the extreme opposite. Most Stock speakers always have globs of bass in comparsion due to how they are designed. Aftermarkets are for clear sounding and imaging with drum kicks and midbass while the subwoofer handles the boom.

Is it possible to have a 2 way setup that gets into sub bass frequencies? I don't mean sub like output, but at this point I would have enjoyed a stock like experience more than what I have now. I never intended to run a sub in this car.

Is it possible to have a 2 way setup that gets into sub bass frequencies? I don't mean sub like output, but at this point I would have enjoyed a stock like experience more than what I have now. I never intended to run a sub in this car.
You would need a fullrange paper cone driver, usually they dont handle much power or get that clear though. Most stock speakers are full range paper cone Best thing to do is to put back your old stock door speakers and run active from there.

If you are looking for a stealth build and have 6x9s or 6.5s in the rear deck or door, look into tang band 6x9 or 6.5 subs and run IB.

BTW, have you fully and completely properly tuned the setup yet? aka Choosing the perfect crossover points and slopes, time alignment, and EQ or are you just keeping it flat with no time alignment?

You would need a fullrange paper cone driver, usually they dont handle much power or get that clear though. Most stock speakers are full range paper cone Best thing to do is to put back your old stock door speakers and run active from there.
If you are looking for a stealth build and have 6x9s or 6.5s in the rear deck or door, look into tang band 6x9 or 6.5 subs and run IB.

BTW, have you fully and completely properly tuned the setup yet? aka Choosing the perfect crossover points and slopes, time alignment, and EQ or are you just keeping it flat with no time alignment?
Original paper drivers were shredded, this is in my 2000 Corvette. And no, not yet, the car isn't even totally back together (door panels still off, etc). I haven't touched EQ or TA. Still messing with xovers and slopes. I will use this for a while and then decide on doing speakers in the rear quarter panel spot or doing a small sealed sub. I originally went 2 way active with a small 4 channel to keep the budget down.

For now though Ill accept the fact im not going to get sub bass out of my mids and raise the xover to 80 or 100hz with a 12db slope and go from there.

Original paper drivers were shredded, this is in my 2000 Corvette. And no, not yet, the car isn't even totally back together (door panels still off, etc). I haven't touched EQ or TA. Still messing with xovers and slopes. I will use this for a while and then decide on doing speakers in the rear quarter panel spot or doing a small sealed sub. I originally went 2 way active with a small 4 channel to keep the budget down.
For now though Ill accept the fact im not going to get sub bass out of my mids and raise the xover to 80 or 100hz with a 12db slope and go from there.
high pass it at 30-50hz or so and move on with the tune, you are getting stuck and going nowhere trying to get bass from just crossover points. Do the time alignment and move onto the EQ where results will truly happen. You'll need to bump up the 50 to 200hz range on the EQ but do so after your time alignment. If you need help with time alignment, pm me. There's a lot of things you can do with the 80 prs and you havent scratched the surface yet.

Original paper drivers were shredded, this is in my 2000 Corvette.
Here's something to think about. I have a client from a few years back who did a full system in a C5 coupe. He installed a pair of 8" subwoofers in the back, 6.7" midbass woofers, 3" mids and 1" tweeters up front. There are lots of 8" subs that will work in a sealed enclosure that's basically the size of the box it ships in.

Here's something to think about. I have a client from a few years back who did a full system in a C5 coupe. He installed a pair of 8" subwoofers in the back, 6.7" midbass woofers, 3" mids and 1" tweeters up front. There are lots of 8" subs that will work in a sealed enclosure that's basically the size of the box it ships in.
I don't doubt that, there is plenty of room. This is built, massive cam, straight piped weekend car, I really just wanted some simple setup with a moderate budget (spent $100 on my 900.4 versus running two amps or a 5 channel) and obviously the RS180s and tweeters via ebay were cheap. Just debating if I want to dive in and do a full setup for a car that sees probably 2k miles a year.

I don't doubt that, there is plenty of room. This is built, massive cam, straight piped weekend car, I really just wanted some simple setup with a moderate budget (spent $100 on my 900.4 versus running two amps or a 5 channel) and obviously the RS180s and tweeters via ebay were cheap. Just debating if I want to dive in and do a full setup for a car that sees probably 2k miles a year.
Ah, it's starting to make more sense now. Sounds like a cool project.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.