b169eac4317bfde9647d23ea81a5304b.jpg

599c17feda8b7d1bec392f7e77017590.jpg

13d06bea86aa5fc66b251a1890aa995a.jpg

06c2f3b243205bd3e2e0417efee93c76.jpg

5091973ac1364e9e0854d12cb17791d6.jpg

c5dac57167fb5d62ab21b37b9c722e17.jpg

562b20000f2c12c41c1d155b4b644a3a.jpg

First Impressions

They are crazy loud! The sound initially is OK, very thin sound. The def go into that 8k-10k range. Sound better though crossed below 6k. Maybe they need to break in a little. The paper cone scares me a little being in my front door but whatever. If they break I'll get something new.. ha.

I'll tune and play with it more tomorrow. Also have those RE AUDIO tw-25s in too. So there is definitely some adjusting that needs to happen. They are loud as he-ll though. So I hope they work out.

After some tuning these really do sound nice. Very loud and clear. Vocals sound amazing. This is the first woofer I've had that couldn't play under 100hz.. If I leave them uncrossed they try but crossed at 125hz at 12db slope they are very smooth. I have the them lp at 5k at 18dB with the tweets at 6khz at 6db.

I'm happy with my purchase. The test will be how long they last. My crossfires didn't last long.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a while but I wanted to update everyone on these. After breaking them in. They sound incredible. Loud, and clear. They just scream. This is my first set of mids that couldn't play 100hz or below and that really helps with clarity. My doors are deaden pretty good and I don't miss anything yet. I thought kick drum, low bass lines would be lacking but I was wrong. The paper cone still scares me so I hope they last a while. But if they don't at least I know what I want now. Loud, clean and clear.

I'm assuming you are not powering them with 500w of amplifier power per speaker correct? That HPF seems pretty low as well as the bloated power rating coming from a 1.5" coil.

I communicate with several engineers about how companies are rating speakers and they have been rolling their eyes at many companies lately.

Curious as to what the ACTUAL power handling should be at your current xover points.

I'm assuming you are not powering them with 500w of amplifier power per speaker correct? That HPF seems pretty low as well as the bloated power rating coming from a 1.5" coil.
I communicate with several engineers about how companies are rating speakers and they have been rolling their eyes at many companies lately.

Curious as to what the ACTUAL power handling should be at your current xover points.
I am using a Massive audio 4000.2 to power these. So about 250 rms a side. I have them crossed at 125hz@ 18db slope. They take the power really well. Haven't heard a hint of distortion at any level.

I'd like to follow your experience without sounding stalkerish, hehe.

Are your doors sealed or just deadened? Even at 250w with such HPF is interesting.

I'd like to follow your experience without sounding stalkerish, hehe.
Are your doors sealed or just deadened? Even at 250w with such HPF is interesting.
I was skeptical at first too.. but they really surprised me. And na, not sealed. Just dead. Maybe one day. The other thing why I think I'm happy now is I have a JL 13w6v2 atm. Once I put my Sundown 12z3 back in it might be a different story.

I was skeptical at first too.. but they really surprised me. And na, not sealed. Just dead. Maybe one day. The other thing why I think I'm happy now is I have a JL 13w6v2 atm. Once I put my Sundown 12z3 back in it might be a different story.
Those are pretty much midrange. If you want midbass, get something an additional pure midbass driver and do a 3 way active front.

Those are pretty much midrange. If you want midbass, get something else and do a 3 way active front.
Oh I know. The JL helps right now with that cuz it can play higher. When the sundown goes in I think I will probably have to do three way then. Have no idea where to put in my Honda doors though

Oh I know. The JL helps right now with that cuz it can play higher. When the sundown goes in I think I will probably have to do three way then. Have no idea where to put in my Honda doors though
i'd move those ds18s into the kick firing on axis while having actual midbass drivers in the doors.

Do you think those pods they make would be good?
I love the ds18 pro mf's they are one of there cheaper series but man they have a full sound dig down deep and up high. Have a set of 6.5's on about 200 watts a piece crossed at 100 mid bass is crazy and the vocals sound crisp up high and full sounding down low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I love the ds18 pro mf's they are one of there cheaper series but man they have a full sound dig down deep and up high. Have a set of 6.5's on about 200 watts a piece crossed at 100 mid bass is crazy and the vocals sound crisp up high and full sounding down low.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Yea i am very happy with these. Super loud and clear. The midbass of course isn't strong but have enough. Especially now that there broken in.

I had Vertex audio mids before these,(very similar design and freq range ) and one had a lead come loose. They sounded good too but these ds18s are louder and sound better. What's funny is when the vertex went bad i put my lanzars in before i got my ds18s and those lanzars for being 35 bucks or whatever are amazing!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

evilmonstertruk

Premium Member
Premium Member
evilmonstertruk
Maryland
Start date
Participants
Who Replied