Pioneer avh-4800bs

Papermaker85
5,000+ posts

Banned
New orleans LA
pioneer ah-4800bs

300 bucks at a local store. Decided I wanted a touch screen. 3 way network capable. DVD player bluetooth usb etc..

Initial Impressions

Inputs/Outputs

On the back the layout is overall simple to ID. layout as far as physical placement on the RCAs on the other hand is tight. I have the stinger 8000 series RCAs that have the threaded locking Rca connectors and it was TIGHT to get them all in.. Start from the bottom rca left output(white) work your way up and then repeat..

Everything else is standard. Long USB adaptor and looks and feels overall solid for the price point. Honestly I was very scared it would sound like crap and be slow.

Interface

I have to admit I really love how it is laid out. Its super easy. All butll**** aside a young kid could use it. Its by far the easiest and being able to save your favorite settings it takes two presses to get anywhere! Settings and favorites and you can store other settings without going through all the menus or scrolling. I have my crossover settings and a few others I can't recall.

Changing sources is easy from a drop down type menu. Playing files from my cheap LG because I managed to duck 2 Samsung s6 phones up requires bloothtooth but its fine. You just open up your media player and you can use the CD player to do the rest.

The radio has excellent reception. Aftermarket radios are infamous for shiity radio reception, pioneer in my experience has always been good..

I can't comment on the applink or USB drive yet. I left my **** drive at home so I'm kind fucked.. It does support FLAC which I don't care what anyone says gives you greater transparency and a lower noise floor when using aftermarket amps and realivitly highend equipment. Which honestly if you got a decent name brand amp they are more than revealing on the compressed recordings.

Features

EQ- standard 13 band EQ. Nothing spectacular but it does pretty good granted you don't just drop components in and expect euphoria. Its standardized so not left right or isolate output control..

Crossovers- You have two modes STANDARD where you have your typical 50hz to 200hz hpf from front rear and sub. 6 12 18 and 24 if I remember correctly. Nothing special.

NETWORK mode- you have several x over points and slopes. Its setup as fronts hpf from off and1.6khz to 12.5khz. Both have slopes adjustable from -6 to -24db.

The mid has a lowpass filter 1.6khz to 12.5khz.

Sub is 25 to 250 with slopes from -6 to -36db.

All the slopes are common slopes typically used and it offers plenty options to tune a 3way setup with not external processing.

One gripe is the crossover is standaridized and its not variable between outputs or chchannels BUT honestly any decently installed speakers with some simple steps like giving the proper air space, dampening panels and something simple like a 6x6 egg carton case behind the drivers with a tad of polyfill will really null any nasty resonances absorb any standing waves and breakup refracting waves that may impede the driver. These simple things will creating enhance the midbass/range drivers most apparent issues and tuning will be a matter of correlating phase between drivers and finding the drivers ideal bandwidth.. That being said the unit is more than capable of building a reference 3 way system if you put the effort to do so!

Overall

That being said once I get everything done I'll give more feedback. Needless to say am abit shocked this unit performs so admireabilly its everything I needed in a unit.

Honestly you can build a **** nice system with this unit. Its beautiful, responsive, easy to use and sounds just fine with a good input format. Don't miss a chance to buy a unit that is being phased out and is truly a great unit..

This post has been promoted to an article

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought the 5800 pioneer and absolutely love it....EXCEPT that backup camera works perfectly when the ignition switch is ON, but with the engine running it does not!! Any suggestions????

its slow and the touchscreen isn't the greatest but its a decent. it actually sounds pretty decent i finally hooked my mids and tweeters up active yesterday. did some tuning this morning. God rap sounds like ****. at least most of it is poorly mastered..

I used phil colions sussudio to test for sibilance between the tone of his voice and the dynamic horns..

ive had too many higend tweeters that simply cannot place the difference of his tone of voice and the dynamics of the horn. they often need a ton of work. aiming slightly off axis EQ and setting the tweeters xover way lower than id like. The Silk dome tweeters that will be offered in the component set are definitely up there with the much nicer tweeters i've had the pleasure to beable to afford and listen to.. its only down fall is a slith roll off starting at 15k. just a tad bit of boost around 17.5k gives it the air of a hard dome with the smooth detailed response between 3and 15k you get with the soft domes.

Id put this tweeter in the same playing field as the CDT DRT 26 and dynaudio Esotec MD 102 which both i Highly regard as the best soft domes for under 400 bucks..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Papermaker85

5,000+ posts
Banned
Papermaker85
New orleans LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies