Replacement Amp for McIntosh MC425?

MrPotatoHead

My old MC425 is misbehaving so I'm looking for a suitable replacement. I'm not the discerning listener I used to be so I'm just looking for a used, nice sounding 2-ch amp at a reasonable price (

What brands/models would be a decent replacement? I haven't paid much attention to car audio in years.

Thanks.

PS I bought a used RF P400-2 on CL that immediately smoked my Focal 6.5" driver. Turns out that channel was stuck to the rail.

well, that is a fairly malleable requirement. i have many options on the shelf, depending on power/space/impedance requirements. many old school pieces, some newer, and i can work a deal for the broken 425.

It is a pretty open ended question, I suppose. I'm hoping to find an amp that someone would say was on par with McIntosh from ten years ago, that might be a few years old that would be sonically equivalent (or close). I'm seeing amps I've never heard of because I haven't been paying attention and am not looking for an amp that "hits hard." After that P400-2 literally smoked my Focal Utopia, I just feel like getting it over with.

The McIntosh will likely end up here or on ebay. It still works and sounds good but the volume is up and down - possibly due to the Power Guard circuitry malfunctioning.

I have a really nice tube amp you might be interested in but it would be more than 200. I got it awhile back and haven't messed with it yet.

My old MC425 is misbehaving so I'm looking for a suitable replacement. I'm not the discerning listener I used to be so I'm just looking for a used, nice sounding 2-ch amp at a reasonable price (
What brands/models would be a decent replacement? I haven't paid much attention to car audio in years.

Thanks.

PS I bought a used RF P400-2 on CL that immediately smoked my Focal 6.5" driver. Turns out that channel was stuck to the rail.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.