Deadener, deadener, deadener....

bldunn

Which is best? I know everybody will probably say Dynamat is best, but I have read a lot about using asphalt based adhesive products, the notion I get from reading about them with the smell and the fact that some of them do not stick is to stay away from them. My trunk rattles terribly and it makes my system sound like garbage. I thought about gluing some weights, maybe 3 lbs or smaller just to make the trunk lid heavier so it hopefully wont rattle as bad as it does now. But what would you recommend? Peel and Seal from Home Depot looked good, on a youtuber video until I saw another one of someone who had to take it out of their car and the tar was just stuck all over the place, so I know I don't want to use the Peel and Seal. Could any of you true audiophiles help me out with ideas and suggestions?

Dynomat is not even close to the best. My favorite bang for buck deadener is Stinger Roadkill.
Do not use peal n seal or anything from home depot..
Thank you, I will check them out. Yeah, I don't think Home Depot or Lowes is going to have anything that I wouldn't ultimately come to regret using, especially if I have to drive with that funky tar smell in the heat and stuff or worry about it falling down from like the headliner and really making a terrible mess of everything. I could probably just do the trunk, but would be nice to have a lot less road noise all throughout the car. So might as well do it right.

Dynamat is so overpriced.

I use wood, metal, and spray foam, not deadener //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I want to deaden my whole honda. I'm looking for a bang for buck material. What are some options? Doesn't have to be the best in my case
Depends on the end game. Do you resonance control- only needs 25% coverage on flat surfaces

Or do you want a silent ride like Bentley quiet.

One will just need decent 80mil or better deadener

One will need something like GP STFU, Focal Bam, soundSkins(I want to try this next)

I have been experimenting with some rather cheap home made version of sludge that drys hard sticks to roofs. Adds mass to silence vibration. The components can be had dirt cheap. For vibrations I would say it can definitely do the job. Drys hard yet is still semi flexible should you manage to get the **** off. And the great second affect is it completely waterproofs whatever you put it on. Go to home depot and ask for a bucket of redgaurd roll on waterproofing membrane qne some clean sand. For the roof I mixed it 2 parts sand to 1 part red guard. For floor pan I did 1.5 to 1 for a slightly smoother finish. The Red guard is like $50-55 for a 4 gal bucket and play sand is dirt cheap. Just food for thought of anyone wanting a cheap affective deadener. I would be interested in seeing a before and after road noise RTA to see if it affects outside noise. Took 20 minutes to scrape the 6" x10" test patch off my roof with a 4" wide razor scraper. I applied it with a paint brush for the most part. It builds up well. Of course its red and won't come off fabrics or the carpet should you goof. The best part is it took me maybe a gal and 20lbs of sand to coat the floor pan to about a half inch thick and the insides of the door skins. I still have enough to do a couple more jeep Cherokees completely. Sounds like knocking on a brick when I tap on the door skins.

Can I get a good word for Second Skin products? I bought a bunch of Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro that my installer guy is responsible for applying for me. Part of his job description in our contract.

Oh, and I bought a big roll of B-Quiet too, before I got the Second Skin stuff.

John Kuthe...

Not to continue putting a month's old thread on life support but:

Peel and seal was the stupidest f**king thing I've ever done - Second Skin Sound Deadening and Automotive Insulation! - SMD Forum

tl:dr pay now or pay later.

Interestingly enough the Second Skin guy chimed in and said that making sure it's "fresh" when you apply it is pretty important so I'd suggest that buying direct from the manufacturer or someone else who will DEFINITELY cover your arse if it fails (if they sell you stuff that's been sitting around too long) would be important.

Not to continue putting a month's old thread on life support but:
Peel and seal was the stupidest f**king thing I've ever done - Second Skin Sound Deadening and Automotive Insulation! - SMD Forum

tl:dr pay now or pay later.

Interestingly enough the Second Skin guy chimed in and said that making sure it's "fresh" when you apply it is pretty important so I'd suggest that buying direct from the manufacturer or someone else who will DEFINITELY cover your arse if it fails (if they sell you stuff that's been sitting around too long) would be important.
Yep, bought my Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro directly from Second Skin. Installer guy said it was some pretty good stuff in his EXPERIENCE! Fresh, sticky as cuss, and sounding great/quiet! Have yet to have installer guy install the Luxury Liner Pro, waiting on mail order cans of "high temp" spray adhesive from Second Skin to glue on the Luxury Liner Pro (and now I KNOW: get them at the same time!)

John Kuthe...

I hate how they call it 250mil. Marketing at its finest.
Yep, like everyone calling things "titanium" when there's no titanium in them!!

"Turbo" is another great marketing word! And "Limited"! And any word that makes things SEEM much better than they really are.

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.