8" that can take crazy abuse

cfox10
10+ year member

Rock the house.
I'm on the lookout for some 8's that can take between 1800-2k clamped power

I'm concerned that no 2.5" coil can take this abuse but I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

They will be in a slightly smaller than ideal enclosure.

I've been told the Atomic can handle the power?

Not going to happen for daily. Rated sure, clamped nope
Just talked with Atomic since they rate theirs at 1-1.5k but the most they have clamped to one is 860w, which doesn't help me at all.

GroundZero is making one which is in the works and rated at 1500w RMS... but again, it's a 2.5" coil so I'm very doubtful of it

I guess I'll just have to tone it down.

If you intend to play music with that much power you will constantly have issues with mechanical and thermal failures. Any company that warranties at 1500W will probably use the "clipping" or "didn't break it in" excuse to weasel out of replacing it after the first couple times you break them even if they do fix/replace it once or twice.

If you intend to play music with that much power you will constantly have issues with mechanical and thermal failures. Any company that warranties at 1500W will probably use the "clipping" or "didn't break it in" excuse to weasel out of replacing it after the first couple times you break them even if they do fix/replace it once or twice.
Yup. There's no way a single 8 will eat up 1500 actual watts without its design being inherently bad.

OP, i'd focus more on the install rather than brute forcing your way in. Have real expectations as well. a single 8 is not gonna do mini hair tricks or strong paper tricks. Not unless you are a car audio god or ridiculously lucky

Yup. There's no way a single 8 will eat up 1500 actual watts without its design being inherently bad.
OP, i'd focus more on the install rather than brute forcing your way in. Have real expectations as well. a single 8 is not gonna do mini hair tricks or strong paper tricks. Not unless you are a car audio god or ridiculously lucky
All it really takes is a ridiculously large box, but at that point why not go larger anyways, unless power is an issue.

The issue is mainly space. I don't have room to mount anything larger and figured I'd try to use the power I have available.

I just picked up a sounqubed 3500 so I'll run that now instead and call it good. 4 of almost any of the 8's on the market should be able to handle that power I imagine.

Didn't plan on any hair tricks or anything special, just trying to get some decent output in a very small area.

I would suggest building a proper horn would get you there, but you're talking about a box the size of half a refrigerator to get really big output.... space makes bass.

The issue is mainly space. I don't have room to mount anything larger and figured I'd try to use the power I have available.
I just picked up a sounqubed 3500 so I'll run that now instead and call it good. 4 of almost any of the 8's on the market should be able to handle that power I imagine.

Didn't plan on any hair tricks or anything special, just trying to get some decent output in a very small area.
4 8's is a bit better. I really love the Atomic or DD..... but I have expensive tastes.

I would suggest building a proper horn would get you there, but you're talking about a box the size of half a refrigerator to get really big output.... space makes bass.

4 8's is a bit better. I really love the Atomic or DD..... but I have expensive tastes.
Assuming he has zero space for any fancy high output boxes, id keep his expectations at the minimum. If he does has the space, he wouldnt be asking about 8s

i havnt even put power to my sundown x8 yet but it sure is a beast

sa8v1 and v2 are stupid ruggid

ive done 2 8's in ported, folded horn and tapped horn.

ported is smallest.

folded horn was only slightly larger than the ported but was louder and had larger bandwidth

tapped horn was ginormous but not any louder than folded horn but dug alot deeper (calculated 3200rms to a pair of v1's at 30hz before bottoming) i had it designed.

were ran on a D9 at 2ohm most of their life.

the limiting factor on the sa8's is the suspension. the coil can take a ton of power before failing. i ripped my 1's v1's and reconed them with spl parts, they lost some low end but really picked up 40hz+ and could take some power.

any of the "good" 8's will take a 5k to 4 of them provided gains are set right and box isnt terrible.

Assuming he has zero space for any fancy high output boxes, id keep his expectations at the minimum. If he does has the space, he wouldnt be asking about 8s
We're talking about keeping it under the rear seat of my truck. So unfortunately no room for anything more, which is why I'm throwing a bit more power out.

The atomic 8's are only $150 so that's fairly inexpensive to me. I currently have 2 hds208's so I might just grab two more and see how all 4 do.

I'd take surface area over excursion anyday.

STEALTH-124 | Soundstream

You can't have much low bass in your situation. The lower you try to go the more output you will lose. I'd aim for slow rolloff around 40hz sealed or 35hz rolloff ported for more output than sealed if you can manage 2sq'

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.