What router bit do I need for the pictured Craftsman router? Have jasper jig.

Participant count
  • Participant list

CRXBMPN
5,000+ posts

Moe Bass
Maine
Hey everyone, I picked up a jasper jig to tinker with and have a router I got in a trade a long while ago but have never used it. I need to be able to plunge down into the 3/4in mdf for my sub holes. Do I need a down cutting spiral bit? Im headed to HD later to grab some things, so a link there would be helpful. Thx in advance.

20160717_235756_zpsi1iz1v9f.jpg

20160717_235811_zps57vtmjsd_edit_1468842507769_zpsxijp9crg.jpg

Spiral bit works the best in my opinion... Doesnt really matter if its up cut or down cut for speaker holes, it just pushes the the dust created in that direction, up or down. I have the Diablo brand from HD or Lowes, cant remember, but its been good to me. Looks like you have a 3/4" or 1/2" round over bit in there now, Id pick up which ever one thats not. Those are the ones I use 99% of the time, Spiral Cut, 1/2" and 3/4" round overs. Only other I would look at would be a 1" flush trim bit, its has the ball bearing on the end that you can use to trim two pieces exactly the same.

Gonna guess that that router takes 1/4" shank bits. only the really big ones take 1/2" shank.

That router doesnt have a plunge base, but for speaker holes you can manually plunge the bit or drill a starting hole to place the bit in.

Spiral bit works the best in my opinion... Doesnt really matter if its up cut or down cut for speaker holes, it just pushes the the dust created in that direction, up or down. I have the Diablo brand from HD or Lowes, cant remember, but its been good to me. Looks like you have a 3/4" or 1/2" round over bit in there now, Id pick up which ever one thats not. Those are the ones I use 99% of the time, Spiral Cut, 1/2" and 3/4" round overs. Only other I would look at would be a 1" flush trim bit, its has the ball bearing on the end that you can use to trim two pieces exactly the same.
Gonna guess that that router takes 1/4" shank bits. only the really big ones take 1/2" shank.

That router doesnt have a plunge base, but for speaker holes you can manually plunge the bit or drill a starting hole to place the bit in.
Hows this look

20160718_083848_zpsbkqwafi9.jpg

[quote name='CRXBMPN']Hows this look

20160718_083848_zpsbkqwafi9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think thats the one I have.

I haven't broken one yet, but @beak81champ is right, if the store isn't close by, I'd grab an extra just in case... I hate when I have to stop in the middle of a project because something simple and inexpensive broke and I dont have another on hand....

[quote name='Joebobclark']I think thats the one I have.

I haven't broken one yet, but @beak81champ is right, if the store isn't close by, I'd grab an extra just in case... I hate when I have to stop in the middle of a project because something simple and inexpensive broke and I dont have another on hand....[/QUOTE]

[quote name='germanyt']I also use an upspiral bit. 1/4 inch shank was all I could find so that's what I use. Think I paid 29.95 for a good one.[/QUOTE]

Home Depot and Lowes are 5 min away each. I ordered online and have that bit waiting for me at the svc desk already.
Also, thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.