Upgrading my budget system [Help Wanted] 6/29/2016

Jcdanible

OAHU
I've upgraded my system once already but, this is a post about upgrading the upgrades I already did. I upgraded my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it sounds nice but I'd like to get it to sound a lot nicer. I like my sub/amp setup and don't want to change anything about that and I also like the rear door speakers. I love my music loud and really want to get a solid system that can play just about any genre of music at louder volumes. I'm not sure exactly what direction to go in but I have a few options and want some advice.

Problem: Basically the Infinity Amp that comes stock with my Jeep powers all of the speakers in my car. The problem with this is that In Grand Cherokees equipped with the Infinity system, the front door speakers only receive bass frequencies. All of the mid and high frequencies go to the dash speakers. The front door speakers I have installed sound terrible, they are extremely quiet and obviously don't play the high notes and they also sound muffled. That is my main goal to fix,

Solutions: So that said, I can either Option 1. bypass the infinity amp and have the speakers run to the head unit which would fix the problem

Option 2. I could replace the infinity amp with a new Amp and run all the speakers that way. I have an extra 4 channel amp laying around that I could use to do that and I think that would possibly improve the sound and loudness as well.

Option 3. Is also that I could buy a set of component speakers which I think would also be a great idea.

My last Option 4. Is that I could take the rear door speakers out and work on the front door speakers, I've posted on here before and read up that the front is more important. But I don't see why I would take the rear door speakers out since I already purchased them and have them installed.

I'm not sure exactly what the best Idea is and what speakers I would buy. I might get some hate but I do like the Kicker rear coax speakers I installed and I was thinking of buying a kicker component system. I just really want to get speakers that work for just about everything and are really loud.

Lastly I have a few questions about the affect of a head unit on sound quality and features. I have a very basic and cheap head unit and I've heard from members here about features such as "Time Alignment" And I was wondering if someone can explain it in depth and maybe point me to a simple head unit that would give me some nice sound quality and give me a feature like time alignment. I'm really just going for amazing sound, don't need all the bluetooth and phone connect features.

Parts I currently Have:

Head Unit: kenwood KMM-BT315U

Front Door: speakers: ****** old Pioneer Walmart speakers 6x9

Rear Door Speakers: Kicker 6-3/4" Coaxial speakers

Tweeters: Kenwood KFC-ST01

Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate r500x1d Amp

Subs: Two 12" Pioneer TS-W304R Subs

Also have the stock Infinity Amp that powers all the speakers.

Help would be greatly appreciated and Thank you for your time!

Time alignment is when the signal can be delayed from the speakers of your choosing so all sound arrives at one point at the same time. This is a feature from a DSP i don't know of any HU's that have time alignment. From what you want to accomplish sounds to me your goimg to want to add a DSP and go active.

There are several HUs that have time alignment. Pioneer 80prs is the most popular one atm and it can do it for you automatically. Clarion CZ702 is easier on the wallet though.

Time alignment is just making sure the signal from each speaker reaches your ears at roughly the same time. Example: if you're in the driver seat the sound from the speakers on the passenger side take a tad bit longer to reach your ears. T/A is able to adjust for the difference in position.

If you want louder your best bet would be to throw in a bigger amp. Although that may not be as easy as it sounds if you have an OEM amp. Hoepfully some more people can chime in.

im in the same situation! I have a dodge with the infinity system. Im thinking bypass the amp and slap a CZ702 or 80 PRS and re run to the a different amp or the HU. Looking to hear other ides as well.

There are several HUs that have time alignment. Pioneer 80prs is the most popular one atm and it can do it for you automatically. Clarion CZ702 is easier on the wallet though.
Time alignment is just making sure the signal from each speaker reaches your ears at roughly the same time. Example: if you're in the driver seat the sound from the speakers on the passenger side take a tad bit longer to reach your ears. T/A is able to adjust for the difference in position.

If you want louder your best bet would be to throw in a bigger amp. Although that may not be as easy as it sounds if you have an OEM amp. Hoepfully some more people can chime in.
Thanks! I guess a more thorough question would be, Is there really a difference in sound quality based on spending $100-200 on a HU or $300-400 on an HU? I'm really not looking to spend an insane amount but I really want to get the best sound quality I can possible. Also I was thinking of adding the 4 channel Amp i have laying around to power the front speakers. I'm pretty positive on picking up a component system but do you have any recommendations for component speakers..? Like I said i do like the kicker speakers I picked up but I'm wondering does different brand of speakers or type determine how loud they will go? I know wattage and DB rating has a factor in it as well as the amp but I'm wondering will a 94db speaker really be a lot louder than a 92db? Thanks!

Also are there other features I may want from a more expensive HU other than time alignment and Is time alignment really that cool..?

Thanks! I guess a more thorough question would be, Is there really a difference in sound quality based on spending $100-200 on a HU or $300-400 on an HU? I'm really not looking to spend an insane amount but I really want to get the best sound quality I can possible. Also I was thinking of adding the 4 channel Amp i have laying around to power the front speakers. I'm pretty positive on picking up a component system but do you have any recommendations for component speakers..? Like I said i do like the kicker speakers I picked up but I'm wondering does different brand of speakers or type determine how loud they will go? I know wattage and DB rating has a factor in it as well as the amp but I'm wondering will a 94db speaker really be a lot louder than a 92db? Thanks!Also are there other features I may want from a more expensive HU other than time alignment and Is time alignment really that cool..?
Yes there is a big difference from the clarion cz702 vs the pioneer, i have experience with both. You cant live with the cz702 on a daily basis to be honest, tuning feature and sound quality is okay but not anywhere near the level of a pioneer 80 prs. Usability and sun glare during the day is absolutely horrid and the amp guard feature is stupid AF.

Best solution for you is get a new head unit aka 80 prs. Get rid of the infinity amp completely, get a powerful 125 rms or higher 4 channel, for the cheap, theres the ppi phantom 900.4, on the nicer side theres sundown, ampere, synergy, twisted sounds 125.4 or 150.4 amps that sound better but cost almost double. Then youll need a good set of front speakers. Go with components if you have no idea how to go active. I wouldnt trust a lot of the db ratings on cheaper speakers they are overinflated. Just get something thats known to get loud with good sq like jbl p660c or image dynamics ctx components.

Then get a good install in, proper acoustical door treatments, tweeter positioning, proper speaker seal etc.. Then proper gain, speaker level, crossover and EQ adjustments then finally time alignment.

Time alignment actually makes your dash turn into a concert stage where you can literally hear where each of the band members are with drums sweeping across the dash along with singer dead center. It turns musical listening into musical enjoyment.

Thanks! I guess a more thorough question would be, Is there really a difference in sound quality based on spending $100-200 on a HU or $300-400 on an HU? I'm really not looking to spend an insane amount but I really want to get the best sound quality I can possible. Also I was thinking of adding the 4 channel Amp i have laying around to power the front speakers. I'm pretty positive on picking up a component system but do you have any recommendations for component speakers..? Like I said i do like the kicker speakers I picked up but I'm wondering does different brand of speakers or type determine how loud they will go? I know wattage and DB rating has a factor in it as well as the amp but I'm wondering will a 94db speaker really be a lot louder than a 92db? Thanks!Also are there other features I may want from a more expensive HU other than time alignment and Is time alignment really that cool..?
Absolutely. A headunit with Dacs/ crossover control/ eq/ time alignment gives you a NIGHT AND DAY difference between one without it. That being said. External dsps are more and more prevalent and getting a cheap headunit and a solid dsp or even no head unit and a solid dsp, has become a very good alternative. The best Headunit around for sound quality(short of the p99rs) is the 80prs. Its in the $250 mark and is a single din. Everything else thats more expensive than that is touchscreen double din stuff and none of those have the controls that the 80prs offers.

What 4 channel do you have? You have to understand that in electronics and car audio. Your SQ is only as good as your weakest link. 1000$ speakers on a 100$ amp will sound like crap.

Mainstream brands tend to be VERY overpriced. There are many many good speaker options out there that dont have alpine/pioneer/kenwood/rockford/ect names on them. Kicker is garbage

Things like morel/vifa/hertz/ and abunch others.

Zaphaudio.com look at driver comparisons.

Raw drivers (speakers without crossovers included) are FAR cheaper and just as good if not better than components you buy together.

Install and deadening/sealing doors are just as important as everything else. Remember that.

Dont worry about a speakers sensitivity. It changes as soon as you put it in a door. Worry about the power you give that speaker.

Time alignment is CRUCIAL to having any kind of good sound quality. To way oversimplify it..

Read these.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/163914-essentials-sound-quality-imho.html#/enter

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/sqsystem.html

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

If your main concern is your doors speakers.

Make sure your door 6x9's doors are not Out of Phase.

Also your doors may just need a better deadening, sealing, or maybe more solid install.

Your amp may not have enough power for your door 6x9's. Time Alignment and EQ are great for achieving Sound Quality, but if your main concern is not loud enough check those first. Also know that tuning with DSP does require some time to learn how to get it right.

Once you hear a proper sq head unit, youll never look at cheap head units ever again. The difference is jist that drastic.
Is the pioneer 80 prs something I could use for quite some time to come or will it be something I might end up upgrading in a few years because I get more serious..? I also don't really understand how DSP works... I know there are alternate DSP's people will install and run everything through but do HU's such as the pioneer 80 prs have DSP? Also the AMP I have laying around is a Alpine MRP-F300 4 chan amp, Not sure how good this thing is but probably better than the infinity amp. Also Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

A question just for thought: If I setup Time Alignment for the drivers seat how does the system sound for someone sitting in the back or passenger seat for example?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the pioneer 80 prs something I could use for quite some time to come or will it be something I might end up upgrading in a few years because I get more serious..? I also don't really understand how DSP works... I know there are alternate DSP's people will install and run everything through but do HU's such as the pioneer 80 prs have DSP? Also the AMP I have laying around is a Alpine MRP-F300 4 chan amp, Not sure how good this thing is but probably better than the infinity amp. Also Thanks for the help I appreciate it.
A question just for thought: If I setup Time Alignment for the drivers seat how does the system sound for someone sitting in the back or passenger seat for example?
it sounds like music to them. There's listening positions you can choose from, left, right, ALL or none. With passengers in the car, i'd have the time alignment turned off, when you are by your self, have it on, its as simple as that.

I'd say the 80 prs will last you a very long time because you can make adjustments on the go instead of having to pull a laptop out to tune with a DSP. Its not something you'll want to upgrade from in a long time because of how comprehensive the SQ functions it has, it has a built in 28 bit floating point DSP.

Do the install and whole system right and you might not even need a dedicated DSP.

Although car audio is worse than crack, once you start upgrading, you never stop so i cant speak for you in that aspect. Depends on how big of an audiophile you become.

As for me, the 80 prs gets me to a level where i'm actually quite satisfied to the point where i dont really feel like upgrading anymore unless its a blue moon. I swapped to a DSP but it was kind of a hassle to pull out a laptop to make adjustments here and there and my new laptop is crappy and does not have a proper com port.

it sounds like music to them. There's listening positions you can choose from, left, right, ALL or none. With passengers in the car, i'd have the time alignment turned off, when you are by your self, have it on, its as simple as that.
I'd say the 80 prs will last you a very long time because you can make adjustments on the go instead of having to pull a laptop out to tune with a DSP. Its not something you'll want to upgrade from in a long time because of how comprehensive the SQ functions it has, it has a built in 28 bit floating point DSP.

Do the install and whole system right and you might not even need a dedicated DSP.

Although car audio is worse than crack, once you start upgrading, you never stop so i cant speak for you in that aspect. Depends on how big of an audiophile you become.

As for me, the 80 prs gets me to a level where i'm actually quite satisfied to the point where i dont really feel like upgrading anymore unless its a blue moon. I swapped to a DSP but it was kind of a hassle to pull out a laptop to make adjustments here and there and my new laptop is crappy and does not have a proper com port.
Thanks, and what exactly is "going Active" I would like to do it if it improves quality and loudness. Also I'm wondering what you might recommend for wire products? I'm assuming if I'm hooking up a component system to an amp that I would need an 8 guage wiring kit and speaker wire to run to it? Not too sure what I would need to run an entire component system to an amp and to the head unit Also I have a distribution block so It'll be easier to setup wiring to the amp. Also What is a "Fuse Holder" I was reading about how to install a component system with a 4 channel amp and it said to install a fuse holder... kinda confused.

My last question for this reply: How do I hookup "Remote" It's next to the Battery and Ground hookup on the amp. I'm pretty sure this is what turns on the amp when the car starts or the HU turns on but If it plugs into the back of the HU how can I plug in multiple amps?

Thanks, and what exactly is "going Active" I would like to do it if it improves quality and loudness. Also I'm wondering what you might recommend for wire products? I'm assuming if I'm hooking up a component system to an amp that I would need an 8 guage wiring kit and speaker wire to run to it? Not too sure what I would need to run an entire component system to an amp and to the head unit Also I have a distribution block so It'll be easier to setup wiring to the amp. Also What is a "Fuse Holder" I was reading about how to install a component system with a 4 channel amp and it said to install a fuse holder... kinda confused.
My last question for this reply: How do I hookup "Remote" It's next to the Battery and Ground hookup on the amp. I'm pretty sure this is what turns on the amp when the car starts or the HU turns on but If it plugs into the back of the HU how can I plug in multiple amps?
knukonceptz 8 gauge OFC amp install kit should have all you need and an extra pair of RCAs.

For the remote, just run a wire from your subwoofer amp's remote terminal to your 4 channel.

If you are asking basic stuff like this, most likely you arent ready for active yet, just do components for now.

knukonceptz 8 gauge OFC amp install kit should have all you need and an extra pair of RCAs.
For the remote, just run a wire from your subwoofer amp's remote terminal to your 4 channel.

If you are asking basic stuff like this, most likely you arent ready for active yet, just do components for now.
Alright thanks. I'll stick with just the components. I was thinking going active was something different but I realize now it's the crossover, I would prefer to stay passive with that since It seems like a ton of work that I just don't know how to do. I'm going to try out the Alpine MRP-F300 AMP but If It doesn't work I might buy a PPI 990.4

How practical are these T-Spec V6-1-5DDC Digital Capacitor or really any Digital Capacitor..?

And How practical is putting in a supplementary Battery?... For the subs, and amps...?

Right now I plan on buying these items: (Pioneer head doesn't exactly fit with my car but I'm going to see If I can't make it fit...I think i read it doesn't fit because there isn't enough depth in the dash.

KnuKonceptz Kolossus 8 Gauge OFC Amplifier Installation Kit

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

P660C 6 1/2"" (160mm) 2-way component system

(Precision Power P900.4 900-Watt Phantom Series Class D Full Range 4-Channel Amplifier (IF other amp doesn't workout)

Again sorry for all the questions, I really do appreciate the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.