High vs low power handling subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

DylanBeatz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wisconsin
Do higher power handling subs not get as loud on little power as lower power handling subs?

My kicker cvr 12" is actually pretty loud on only 300rms. Would a sub that can handle 3000rms be just as loud as my cvr on 300rms or are they generally less receptive to small power since they can handle so much?

Last edited by a moderator:
That was, I believe, a serious answer. If you are under powering a sub, one typically puts it in a larger enclosure. The main problem one has with an amp that is, how you say, too 'small', one typically tries to make the amp do more than it's designed to. As long as you know and understand about clipping, and that the amp is not made to produce outside of its parameters, you should be fine dude.

Do higher power handling subs not get as loud on little power as lower power handling subs?
My kicker cvr 12" is actually pretty loud on only 300rms. Would a sub that can handle 3000rms be just as loud as my cvr on 300rms or are they generally less receptive to small power since they can handle so much?
Should be a no brainer there. the answer is hell yeah.

300 watts on a sub compared to some people on here isn't all that loud. That power is used on tweets/mids while subs getting 100's of watts.

If your thinking about picking up a good quality 3k amp, make sure you got the electrical to support it.

depends on the sub. Heard a pair of TC sounds 5200s doing a moderate hairtrick on less than 200 watts to each. Box plays the biggest role next to the sub's actual efficiency depending on the actual engineering specs of the sub.

There's also T line enclosures where you only need a few hundred watts and you'll get crazy loud.

depends on the sub. Heard a pair of TC sounds 5200s doing a moderate hairtrick on less than 200 watts to each. Box plays the biggest role next to the sub's actual efficiency depending on the actual engineering specs of the sub.
There's also T line enclosures where you only need a few hundred watts and you'll get crazy loud.
Cool, so you are saying that there are certain subs out there that can handle 3000rms but at the same time will be just as loud as my kicker on only 300rms? And I'm not talking about different enclosures, just standard ported box. If so that's awesome and sounds insane. I feel like my kicker would be so loud if I could give it exactly 10 times the power it's seeing now and it would handle it.

Cool, so you are saying that there are certain subs out there that can handle 3000rms but at the same time will be just as loud as my kicker on only 300rms? And I'm not talking about different enclosures, just standard ported box. If so that's awesome and sounds insane. I feel like my kicker would be so loud if I could give it exactly 10 times the power it's seeing now and it would handle it.
The 5200s were in a normal ported tuned to 28hz. Was gnarly as fk. Will sh*t on any cvr setup lol. Imagine if it got a full 5k rms.

The 5200s were in a normal ported tuned to 28hz. Was gnarly as fk. Will sh*t on any cvr setup lol. Imagine if it got a full 5k rms.
****! Lol awesome, you remember how many subs and what size by chance?

1w1m is an accurate way to measure it's output, kinda.. lol

Reguardless if the woofer has a rms of 3kw or 300 if the 1w1m are the same then output will be the same all other things being equal.. the 1w1m is a actual measurment of 1watt of electrical input to an acoustic output! Which is measured in db. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The kinda Is because the input signal is 1khz. So naturally the driver with the higher bl and lower mass will always be more efficent.

What they don't tell you is you need to measure at 40-50 hz to be more accurate..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.