Analyzing the prototype.

Papermaker85
5,000+ posts

Banned
New orleans LA
So I put around 4kw with a clip to test it limits.after playing it hard I heard a slight scratching sound. So I cut it up to see what was up!

The coil held up fine but the former bubbled and was causing it to rub on the t-yoke. I'm relieved honestly because I thought the coil was weak. Needless to say it's a really easy fix. Going to double the thickness of the former. Not only will it stop it from failure it's going to increase the thermal power handling beyond what I expected with the thicker former and added cooling I implemented. Originally I figured around 2500 to 3k, Now I'm sure it will handle 3500 clean easily. Note the driver didn't really fail it still pounced and it made no noise when it was playing. I just wanted to re-cone it with a vented former and spaced and mirrored spiders to improve the linearity and cooling cuz I'm anal..

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool teardown; thanks for the pics! It's interesting to see how close to the limits equipment can be tested (or exceeded!) before failure. Reminds me of the 60 HZ AC 'test', only a little safer and you can get some info out of the experiment.

So I put around 4kw with a clip to test it limits.after playing it hard I heard a slight scratching sound. So I cut it up to see what was up!The coil held up fine but the former bubbled and was causing it to rub on the t-yoke. I'm relieved honestly because I thought the coil was weak. Needless to say it's a really easy fix. Going to double the thickness of the former. Not only will it stop it from failure it's going to increase the thermal power handling beyond what I expected with the thicker former and added cooling I implemented. Originally I figured around 2500 to 3k, Now I'm sure it will handle 3500 clean easily. Note the driver didn't really fail it still pounced and it made no noise when it was playing. I just wanted to re-cone it with a vented former and spaced and mirrored spiders to improve the linearity and cooling cuz I'm anal..

let me test a proto lol

Just curious,

What are the dimensions of the motor? Gap ID, OD, gap depth, top plate height, bottom plate height, ferrite slug thickness and overall diameter?

No Azz shot. What is the intended goal of this sub. Spl, ground pounder, linear and high output?
A street beat woofer that sounds great at a good price. Unfortunately part of the design requires a large toplate to get the proper strength because of the coil windings/build. So it's not excatly cheap but really like this design Over the others I built..

The original design aspect was to get inductance as low as I could have a good amount of throw and the power handling to reach those levels of excursion. 100% of the coil in the gap it's about 25 millimeters x max.. at 70% it's around 34 millimeters x max but it's really designed to stay Within about 90% of the coil in the gap(ruffly 28-29mm) to keep the BL curve flat as possible. I chose not to use shorting rings because it's will substantially lower bl. I might end up doing a magnetic Id shorting ring but it actually sounds great as is..

In short to simple answer your question is it's built to be high Excursion, low distortion and high output driver. we missed the target moving Mass but I actually have plenty of BL for the mass and 1w/1m efficiency after broken and is about 88 DB which is actually pretty decent for such a high throw driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious,
What are the dimensions of the motor? Gap ID, OD, gap depth, top plate height, bottom plate height, ferrite slug thickness and overall diameter?
Triple stack 255x25mm slugs topplate is 35mm x 250mm same for the backplate but bumped.

The gap not not exactly sure but the coil of is 3.2in.. it's actually tight. Not like alot of other drivers. The driver weights 88 pounds. It's freaking huge. It dwarfs even the big 4" coil drivers.

Next to a aq hdc3 15!

Very cool teardown; thanks for the pics! It's interesting to see how close to the limits equipment can be tested (or exceeded!) before failure. Reminds me of the 60 HZ AC 'test', only a little safer and you can get some info out of the experiment.
didn't notice your post till today. no way id go without testing the limits/failure and not try to improve it! a-lot of companies today get a prototype built. it is competitive and start production. i want to make **** sure its a great driver.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Looks like it does to me, roughly big motor as my dc lvl 5 but much longer basket
i guess ill have to put a pic of it on the scale. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Papermaker85

5,000+ posts
Banned
Papermaker85
New orleans LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date