Alpine Type-R 12 Vs. American Bass XFL 12

DylanBeatz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wisconsin
In the future i would like to get two 12's and power them off a healthy 2,000 rms total.

These two subs seem similar, same rms and similar price, which would be louder? Which would sound cleaner on music?

Also any other suggestions for similar subs would be appreciated, thanks!

Ive heard AB and they sound amazing. Hard call I'm looking at the specs are these the ones you are talking about?

Alpine

XFL1244

If so me personally I would go for the AB just because of to me they sound deeper and not jump on the Alpine band wagon. Though the aesthetics in me would like go for the Type R.

I am not a huge fan of the retro dust cap style. I love the smooth look like Cadence and Alpine and so on. So there are my 2 cents I am sure more Veteran guys will give more input.

Last edited by a moderator:
power them off a healthy 2,000 rms total.
They problem with budget subs and high RMS is rarely do you see someone actually spend the money to get the electrical to the point where you can run 2000 watts on substage alone (where talking $600-900 worth of electrical upgrades).
90A stock alt even with a nice battery won't get you more than 350 watts to each sub if your lucky (if you do spend the money to upgrade your electrical then you'd be better off stretching the budget on subs since your in enthusiast territory).

They problem with budget subs and high RMS is rarely do you see someone actually spend the money to get the electrical to the point where you can run 2000 watts on substage alone (where talking $600-900 worth of electrical upgrades).
90A stock alt even with a nice battery won't get you more than 350 watts to each sub if your lucky (if you do spend the money to upgrade your electrical then you'd be better off stretching the budget on subs since your in enthusiast territory).
Man thanks for this response. Man I really hate how expensive this **** is lol I can't afford this.

If I did the big three with 1/0 and had a separate kinetic battery in the trunk, would I really need a new alternator?

Look into some sundown audio sa series they sound great and get really loud while doing so. Remember this hobby shouldn't be a rush thing just take your time and buy piece by piece until you have everything you need, so it'll be done right/properly. It took me three years to build a big system before, everybody doesn't have disposalable cash laying around but that doesn't mean with a little time and effort you can have what you want. Oh and if those are your only options I'll go with the american bass xfl over the type r . happy hunting and I do have a crossfire c7 15" sub for sale as well, lol.

Look into some sundown audio sa series they sound great and get really loud while doing so. Remember this hobby shouldn't be a rush thing just take your time and buy piece by piece until you have everything you need, so it'll be done right/properly. It took me three years to build a big system before, everybody doesn't have disposalable cash laying around but that doesn't mean with a little time and effort you can have what you want. Oh and if those are your only options I'll go with the american bass xfl over the type r . happy hunting and I do have a crossfire c7 15" sub for sale as well, lol.
How much power would you recommend for 2 12sundown" sa's? Looks like they have the same power handling as a type r, so does that mean on the same power it'd be louder than a type r while sounding better? Or does it just handle more than the R which means it will get louder?

Also curious why you recommend the ab vfl over the R as well, is it because they handle more power ? Or is it more than just that?

How much power would you recommend for 2 12sundown" sa's? Looks like they have the same power handling as a type r, so does that mean on the same power it'd be louder than a type r while sounding better? Or does it just handle more than the R which means it will get louder?
Also curious why you recommend the ab vfl over the R as well, is it because they handle more power ? Or is it more than just that?
motorforce, stronger voice coil. A type R 12 is only 22 lbs or something. An XFL is around 30. Type R is a midget in comparison with all the other woofers mentioned. Their power handling is horrible in comparison as well, they arent that robust in terms of handling abuse, slight clip and they blow, their rated 1000 rms is not a clamped power rating either. 1000 clean Clamped on music with blow a type R. The others will take it all day every day. That being said, the newer type Rs arent as strong as the older gray coned ones IMO.

motorforce, stronger voice coil. A type R 12 is only 22 lbs or something. An XFL is around 30. Type R is a midget in comparison with all the other woofers mentioned. Their power handling is horrible in comparison as well, they arent that robust in terms of handling abuse, slight clip and they blow, their rated 1000 rms is not a clamped power rating either. 1000 clean Clamped on music with blow a type R. The others will take it all day every day. That being said, the newer type Rs arent as strong as the older gray coned ones IMO.
That's really sad if that's true, I used to have the gray cone ones. You sound like you really know what you're talking about but how do you know that?

Btw you guys are all very helpful and I really appreciate it

i've seen the old type Rs handle the abuse and get loud. The new ones can do work but are fragile as fk, seen a few blow and local Facebook classifieds are piled up with blown black coned versions. I've owned one as well but sold it after i got a shok triton sub which got a lot louder with better SQ. Before i sold it i also did a head to head comparison of it in a 1 cubed sealed box vs a c2 audio threatcon 2 in a sealed box and the C2 was way louder and better sounding. Both on 1000 rms. Too bad C2 closed down shop. Just about every other sub i've used after owning the type R was louder than the type R.

Man thanks for this response. Man I really hate how expensive this **** is lol I can't afford this.
If I did the big three with 1/0 and had a separate kinetic battery in the trunk, would I really need a new alternator?
Alternator is the key (thats how you physically make power). Extra batteries can help a bit but from my understanding there more of a band aid if you plan on pulling huge current (if you pull more current that what your stock alternator can handle, the battery will help during bass peaks but your car voltage will still drop if you pull significantly more current then what's being made).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.