Aftermarket system with factory head unit

kdc_619
10+ year member

I apologize in advance this is a bit long-winded but i need advice from people who have more than likely done this many more times than i have.

I just bought a 08 Acura TL. I want to install the aftermarket setup i had in my previous car but they only offer single din head units for this acura. Also, this car came with navigation, bluetooth, and a reverse camera that honestly i dont want to get rid of. Not to mention if you installed a aftermarket radio you have to 1) run new wire to the speakers or it wont work and 2) buy a dash kit.

I've researched around and found out you need a LOC to run a amp and subwoofer from a factory deck. I want to run a Rockford Fosgate t1000 with 2 RF P3's and a RF 4 channel with 4 RF 6.5's and 6.9's. Bare in mind i already have Mechman 240 amp alternator and big 3 wiring upgrade kit. My issue is i dont want to lose the navigation and bluetooth and be stuck with a substandard single din.

1) Which LOC would work best? The only one i've seen is a scosche loc and I don't know if that can handle what im looking to do.

2) is there a limit to how much power I can run using a LOC? I don't plan on running a crazy amount of power but 1300 watts is substantial.

3) Do these LOC's come with a remote wire connection or am I stuck going through the fuse box? Did that once and didn't like it. I prefer a dedicated remote wire.

Ive ran a LOC on my car before i got a head unit. They work almost just as well as a head unit. They just tap into your rear speakers and put out RCA's and a remote. I got the socshe one and it worked fine for me until I bought a head unit. You must tap into atleast two speakers and you must connect it to a power and ground. Mine had a remote output that was really helpful. Ive heard competition systems run off an LOC and sound pretty good. Just make sure all the connections are tight and preferably soldered. A more expensive one might have cleaner output signal but i noticed no problems with mine.

Audiocontrol LC-2i and if it has a factory amp try to grab the signal before it.

Or do it right and get a real DSP

And why so much Fosgate? I threw up in my mouth

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the Rockford deal get an rf loc. Honestly gear is gear. If your pre ampinhba 700$ amp by all means at minimum audio control local. But we're not really talking in those terms if I had that deal I'd keep the theme. RF make a 4 channel local either or honestly though if moneys no aspect. An ms8 makes a great loc and tunes your system. Sometimes had at 300$ so for 100$ more your increasing fidelity 10 fold.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

If you have the Rockford deal get an rf loc. Honestly gear is gear. If your pre ampinhba 700$ amp by all means at minimum audio control local. But we're not really talking in those terms if I had that deal I'd keep the theme. RF make a 4 channel local either or honestly though if moneys no aspect. An ms8 makes a great loc and tunes your system. Sometimes had at 300$ so for 100$ more your increasing fidelity 10 fold.
Calling an amazing DSP like the JBL MS-8 an LOC is a huge insult lol... Does way more than convert signal and tune.

Calling an amazing DSP like the JBL MS-8 an LOC is a huge insult lol... Does way more than convert signal and tune.
I know but essentially it'd be used on high level inputs so basicly it is with a DSP/autotune[emoji14]

I've read another forum thread referring to it as such when somebody asked for the "best LOC" the ms8 was basicly the answer. Kinda changed the way I thought about the ms-8 is all. Made me laugh at first. But its kind of is[emoji14]none autotune you'd recommend none of the other DSPs for a noves as a loc but the ms8 is so easy if you can wire a loc you can wire an ms8/ and interface use dumb proof. It was a genius design to be honest.

I've used factory head units in my last two set ups.

The LOC you choose has no effect on what amount of power you can run.

The only real concern is whether or not the LOC can handle the power coming from the factory speaker leads. Most are good for ~50w or more per channel.

My $20 Scosche SLC4 has worked fine, but if you have some money to spend I certainly wouldn't argue against getting something nicer, but I have a hard time agreeing that you need to spend $500+.

If your factory head unit attenuates bass at high volume you can get an 6 ch audio control w/accubass for

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.