Weird rattle but not blown for shure

Participant count
  • Participant list

XxAndreaxX

spain
Hi, was doing some experiment with my enclosure, to fix air escape.

due the sundown is so heavy, I was experimenting with the other sub. I didn't want to change amplifier, too much effort, so I connected the 4ohm 110W sub to the audiopipe 1500 amp. I know its rated 1500W at 1ohm, but at 4 ohms, it should barely give 540W.

did some tests at very low volume, never brought the sub to distorsion, never could smell fried copper, but after tests, when I push down the coil, it makes some weird cracking sound. I really don't thing its fried, because the first sign of even premature overheat, is hear some coil friction when pushing it from only one corner of the cone, but in this case the sound comes when pushing down from the center.

Could be some dirt fell inbetween coil and magnet?? that would be the first time something like that happens to me.

was looking at the coil with a headlight and color was perfect and very clean.

WTF

Audiopipe'S nasty power. Probably burnt it up
why? I never exceeded power, and the coil never touches the magnet, its more like a clicking sound, maybe its the spider. I must admit, in my tests, I brought excursion to the limit, is it possible that the spider gave up??

no way, the woofer starts clicking when excursion gets high. its a mechanical sound for shure, but I can't identify where it comes from. I'm shure its not a deformed or blown coil, normally a blown coil makes distorsion at higher frequencies, I had the issue once.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.