please help!! keep frying subs!

Ok, i have a 1000w Class D Kenwood amp, and i keep frying the voice coil in brand new subs. Ive fried 5 subwoofers now. Im getting really REALLY frustrated!! And no one can tell me whats going on! I know a little bit about matching RMS's my amp puts out 300-500w RMS's and AGAIN today i fried a pioneer 12" with 300w RMS.

I have no clue whats goin on and im not buyin anymore subs till i know what the hell is goin on.

Can someone please tell me something, PLEASE!! IM DESPERATE!

Item(s) Description/Condition:

Price:

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

Item Pictures:

(List pictures in this section, 1st picture should be your username/date if you have less than 10 positive feedbacks with the i-Trader system or less than 10 references that you have sold to in the past. (These must be listed in your signature, or a link provided to a feedback thread listing these references)).

well shouldnt i still be able to turn it up as much as i want? i mean thats what the knobs are for right? and i have done that before the bass doesnt hit at all. I want to "feel" everything and for it to hit as hard as possible. i think theres something wrong. I jyst dont know what the heck it is.

Also i dont want to go buy ANOTHER sub to put in there and it just fry again.

ok so setting my HEAD UNIT settings to match my amp.. how the hell do i do that. on my head unit i have "subwoofer settings" with all these hertz settings and negative and positive number settings. its all like a foreign language to me. i probably sound like an idiot but im not an electrician.

until you understand what is going on. i suggest you take your system to a local shop for them to set the gains for you.

we dont mind helping but you should do a search and read up on some of the topics. we answer questions like this everyday.

that being said ill give you a easy generalization of what to do..

1 leave all the settings n your CD player(Head unit/HU) as factory settings.

2.never turn it up more than about 3/4 maximum volume to avoid a dirty signal.

3.if you have a amp with a crossover built in set it between 60hz-70hz. it will say LPF. if it has a switch make sure its on LPF and between 60 and 70 or 60 and 80.

4.if you have a subsonic filter put it all the way down for now. i typically set mines for 20hz this would be fine as well.

5. The knob on the amp that says "gain"! put it all the way down! turn your stereo up to 3/4 volume and turn the knob up very slowly until you hear the woofers playing hard/loud but you dont hear any muffled noise just clean bass and it doesn't get hot..

6. NEVER put the bass boost on. if it is not loud enough with the gain all the way up turn it down and go into the CD players "subwoofer" menu and look for an option that says subwoofer level or subwoofer gain. turn it up alittle (usually from like -9 to +9) keep it around +3 or so dont go much more and try to set the gain again..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.