Any other ways to set gain besides Oscilloscope, SMD DD1 or multimeter

mrtonytompson

Ears and nose.

I've got a scope and don't even bother with it anymore.

I figured out where my headunit clips, which is all I really needed. Songs vary, so I don't see the point of setting gains with measurement tools. I'd rather have an inline potentiometer to adjust sub levels for different songs

Ears and nose.

I figured out where my headunit clips, which is all I really needed. Songs vary, so I don't see the point of setting gains with measurement tools. I'd rather have an inline potentiometer to adjust sub levels for different songs
This^^^^

a more surfire way is to monitor amp+sub temperatures and voltages and actually know your system limits.
Yeah, I agree.

Songs are different.

I know my subs are the weakest link in my system right now. Even parked with the amps in the sun going full tilt for hours at Springfest, the amps didn't even get warm. You can spell the subs after a few songs full tilt.

If I go into clipping, I'd slinky the sub coils before I'd ever damage the amps. Knowing the limits, I won't break anything as long as I pay attention to the coil temperature based on smell

I'd never suggest passively setting up audio.

When it comes to computers, what do you think is more logical?

Wait til you get infected with a virus then try to fix it or prevent it in realtime?

Active protection is always better than passive.

Passively setting up amplifier isn't going to do anything.. Once music is playing, dynamics are active, not passive.. Your settings will be skewed.

I paid 50 pounds for my scope on eBay, you can get then for as low as 30 if you watch and wait, don't need anything modern or digital just get a.very old working one it does the job amazingly, try to get one with a probe included.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Ears and nose.

I never understood how those pots worked with the gains of the amp. I've never used em felt like I'd blow speakers..

What about the USB scopes? Their pretty affordable the one brand doesn't ground right but the other one has great amazon reviews lol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood how those pots worked with the gains of the amp. I've never used em felt like I'd blow speakers..

What about the USB scopes? Their pretty affordable the one brand doesn't ground right but the other one has great amazon reviews lol

Potentiometers just add resistance to the RCA's circuit, so the voltage that gets to the amplifier's input is lower

I have heard of people using computer USB scopes, but I don't think that would be convenient. A nano isn't that expensive anyways, so I don't see why people are still searching for something a couple bucks cheaper

Potentiometers just add resistance to the RCA's circuit, so the voltage that gets to the amplifier's input is lower
Thank you so much! That explains it perfectly to me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have heard of people using computer USB scopes, but I don't think that would be convenient. A nano isn't that expensive anyways, so I don't see why people are still searching for something a couple bucks cheaper
What's a scope you'd recommend I'm considering the investment.

I was going to ask about that nano scope I saw it.

Thank you so much! That explains it perfectly to me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What's a scope you'd recommend I'm considering the investment.

I was going to ask about that nano scope I saw it.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend getting a scope at the moment.

I feel like it's better to get a feel for what is stressed in your system.

Is your amp much bigger than your subs would be happy with? Are your subs barely powered by your amp? Is your electrical system holing you back because voltage tanks when your amp pulls current? Does anything get hot?

I say it's better to install a volt meter to read your power supply voltage at the amps inputs. Start with the gain low and dial it up slowly. Monitor voltage, make sure nothing gets hot, and listen/smell for your subs to see if they're stressed.

Don't just set the gains at -15db and crank it full tilt on a song "because you set gains safely" for the max volume level on your headunit. Then people are like "I don't know why I blew my stuff. I set gains right". When in actuality, they didn't have a volt meter. Voltage tanked into the 10's because their amp was heavy clipping, and destroyed the amp and/or the sub(s).

On the flip side, if you set the gains with a 0db tone to be safe and never turn it up past that headunit volume, you're probably not getting the most out of your system on every song.

I think it's good to use the volume knob a lot depending on which song you're listening to. Before a song changes, I usually turn it down a few clicks. Some songs I can play at volume 23, and others get my subs stinky at 21.

I want to say you can use a piezo tweeter to set gains on a subwoofer amplifier. I think Tfade has a post somewhere on here or CACO. Personally I like oscopes. It lets you see whats going on and can be used for other neat electrical troubleshooting/analysis. A DMM is a less perfect way to set your gain imo, but with how music varies in the way it was recorded it can get you in the ballpark at least and offers the most general use utility. It really doesn't hurt to have one in your toolbox.

I wouldn't suggest by ears and nose unless you have a good idea what you're trying to smell or listen for. Too much room for user error.

a DD1 is super expensive for something that is pretty much locked to car audio. You can buy a so so DMM for $20-30 bucks and a usable handheld oscope for $40-50 (less if you're lucky on craigslist, ebay, or yardsales/flea markets). Good luck finding a deal on a DD1.

I wouldn't suggest by ears and nose unless you have a good idea what you're trying to smell or listen for. Too much room for user error.
I would agree. If you're seasoned this can be a sufficient approach for music but even then you're risking it. For SPL or continued abuse you should probably rely on some real feedback in the form of digits or waveforms being displayed, then let your ears be the second opinion on something you may think you don't like the sound of.

I would agree. If you're seasoned this can be a sufficient approach for music but even then you're risking it. For SPL or continued abuse you should probably rely on some real feedback in the form of digits or waveforms being displayed, then let your ears be the second opinion on something you may think you don't like the sound of.
For burps with tones, yeah I can see why a scope would be what you need to use.

For daily music that fluctuates a lot, I don't see why I'm still "risking it".

I think it's better to use common senses than setting it at a certain volume level and assuming it's perfect for every song

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.