How to waterproof MDF speaker rings? Plywood any better?

evers
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
A few years ago I installed my 6.5" speakers with 3/4" MDF rings. After about a year I checked to see how they where doing and found the MDF rings to be puffed up and starting to deteriorate from what looked to be from water getting to them. Just got a new car and will be putting in some ID ctx 65cs and want them to be there for many years. Sooo question is what type of material/wood is best to build some rings that will hold up to the weather. Will resin make MDF waterproof? Paint?

Any type of wood it will expand, start to stink afer awhile, deteriorate, etc. when exposed to any type of moisture.

Best bet is to use some plastic or nylon speaker rings.

The problem with spraying on a coating is the second you put the screw into the wood you expose a hole, trust me, moisture will get in. Many home depots now carry 1/2" PVC sheet, this is a good choice.

All windows leak from rain,or collect some type of moisture, thats why they have drain holes in one corner or both..even if the seals are tight, we still roll our windows down at some point and break that seal.best thing to do is todip the MDF in a waterproofing sealer, and seal with an apoxy coating,and it will be just about water proof/bullet proof, yet, prepping the upper cut out with some deadner or Foil tap to make a half moon shaped deterrent on the inside of the door cavity will keep alot of the water from falling directly on the speaker and use ABS plastic or a couple ring spacers on the inside to pull the speaker more into the inner portion of the cabin space away from the door cavity

I use abs plastic for thinner ones and hdpe plastic for thicker ones. You can use plastic cutting boards from Walmart, they are hdpe.

The problem with spraying on a coating is the second you put the screw into the wood you expose a hole, trust me, moisture will get in. Many home depots now carry 1/2" PVC sheet, this is a good choice.
Do you have a part number, or picture for reference. I went to my local HD and I couldn't find any, and of course asking an employee was useless.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.