Sundown X8 D4

Participant count
  • Participant list

XxAndreaxX

spain
Sundown Audio X8 D4:

I came from a peerless 8“ sub 110W RMS, sealed custom made 10l enclosure. Powered by 140W RMS LPF Amp

Replaced the 8” sub with the X8 and Power is limited by amp but the excursion is endless. You can go low, and lower and lower, and that thing is still pushing lows. I’ll buy a stronger amp, to get the most out of it, but ATM the difference is not even comparable. I compared the bass to a 300W RMS 15” ported Vieta driven by 400W amp and no way to get the vieta that low, even with big enclosure / amp advantage.

I compared it to a 400W bandpass 10” sub, and again, no way. Every sub comes to an end when talking about Xmax, even connected to my weak 140RMS amp.

But that thing, no matter what, seems to eat everything. That, talking about the amp set to 30-50hz LPF

Example: Ludacris – how low song, the 10” sub, plays the first bass note very good, you can hear that annoying Woo woo very well. When the bass goes down, you hear the air moving (no distorsion maybe due to the bandpass) but no more bass.

When the X8 plays that, you barely hear that woo woo, but then, you feel the freakin bass coming in, and that’s amazing.

Now, If we talk about peak power, LPF set to 128hz, I guess I got slightly more output out of the previous sub, bringing the amp to its limit, although SQ is not even comparable by far. Maybe because the X8 has more rubber and less cone, maybe the cone itself is comparable to a 6,5” normal sub.

I will wait to the new amp to come, and will perform the test again.

Another weak point of the sub, is some rattle due the massive air moved during excursion. I think, that thing should go into a bandpass.

That being said, great performance even in a small sealed enclosure, the best sub if you want to play low bass. Outperforms standard 15” subs with similar RMS.

But everything you gain on lows you loose on highs.

If you’re searching for maximum lows, thats what you’re searching for, if you want overall cheap bass, its not suited.

For me 5/5

hello, I was wrong about the rattle, it was a sealing issue, probably due the rubber used by sundown. now that's sealed, even when that thing moves at max Xmax, there's no weird sound coming out.

that being said, it sounds very good for being in a sealed enclosure, and not being sealed friendly.

obviously I won't complain on db output, because I put it at my own risk in a sealed enclosure.

but I feel it doesn't sounds any overall louder than my previous 100W sub, and there's no noticable difference being driven by 100W amp rather than 1000W amp.

So everyone that wants clean subsonic output in an extreme tiny enclosure, the X8 does the job very well. but don't expect, to hear that thing outside the car, at least it being sealed.

hi, just ported the box following the right calculations, and the difference is great. sounds much louder, no distorsion at all, that thing must be put into a ported box, no way!

Still in a wrong enclosure, too small, but can't complain. its a monster 8", that sounds much louder than most 15" with 300watts out there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

XxAndreaxX
spain
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from