Help me Pick 12" Subs - Built a box, built an amp rack, NO SUBS! (Pics)

04AcuraTL
10+ year member

KY
Background:

I'm in the process of building a system for my car - 4 12" subs and 2 1000watt amps. I built a box for the subs I ordered on 4/1 (Infinity Reference 1260w's) - the site where I purchased them informed me a week after payment that they weren't in stock and wouldn't be in anytime soon. After searching the web, I couldn't find those subs anywhere. So I ordered new ones that would fit in the same box (Kenwood KFC-W3013PS's) and finished the box and amp rack. UPS tracking had them coming in today - so I scheduled an appointment to have it all installed. Then........they sent the wrong subs. Forget it, I'm returning for a refund and I'm having the same issue (no reputable online sellers have them in stock, I can only find the 3106PS newer version that is less efficient, and has half of the Xmax).

Moving forward:

I have two Kenwood 8105d amps that put out 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms (each).

I have a sealed box that holds four 12" subs in separate chambers (1.25 CF each)

I need suggestions on subs ASAP!

I need 4 12's that are either 4 ohm SVC or 2 ohm DVC and that can run off of 250 watts RMS each and will work in a 1.25 CF box. I'm completely open to suggestions if they fall under this criteria.

All help is HIGHLY appreciated! Here is what I'm dealing with:

IMG_1671_zpsjplhudhx.jpg

The above user is correct. Any entry level sub on that website will make the Infinity Reference look like a complete joke (SSA DCON, Sundown E 12, Incriminator I 12, American bass XD/XO).

If you get some subs that exceed the RMS of your amplifier then that's fine (your going to want to get a better amp in the future so having a little wiggle room isn't bad).

Those cutting on the Infinity or JBL line probably haven't listened to them or have fell into the brand trap.

Great subs for the price. I would consider the JBL gt5-12. JBL subs get great reviews just about everywhere. Sonic has them in stock.

Now for over twice the money Sundowns would get my vote.

Those cutting on the Infinity or JBL line probably haven't listened to them or have fell into the brand trap.
Great subs for the price. I would consider the JBL gt5-12. JBL subs get great reviews just about everywhere. Sonic has them in stock.

Now for over twice the money Sundowns would get my vote.
Infinities were meh at best to be honest. More of an SQ sub. GT5 gets down though for the price but it has its limits. Dcon, XD and Sundown E is superior in every way if you have the proper power as they can handle much more than rated and have much better Xmax and excusion capabilities along with stronger motor force and overall efficiency. Its not a brand hype, Its a fact from actual build quality and capabilities.

Infinities were meh at best to be honest. More of an SQ sub. GT5 gets down though for the price but it has its limits. Dcon, XD and Sundown E is superior in every way if you have the proper power as they can handle much more than rated and have much better Xmax and excusion capabilities along with stronger motor force and overall efficiency.
I agree for the most part. I have a hard time hearing much difference between the Infinity and JBL series. For the price the JBL'S are hard to beat.

For three times the price (or more) the other subs are better pending wants/needs. Worth the price difference? That is debatable, again pending wants/needs.

Worth the price difference? That is debatable, again pending wants/needs.
Yes it's more than worth the price difference.
You have to have a standard and baseline when choosing subs (you can't just say "oh these 60 dollar subs aren't a complete joke" "they won't sound that bad"). That's not a reasonable standard

All the subs that are being mentioned are what most would consider true entry level subs (you have to find that balance between performance/longevity and cost).

Meh, again that is debatable. You have someone get into my work truck and they listen to the system I have and they will be more than impressed. But it is still far from my normal SQ set ups.

Again it depends on what your wants/needs are.

I have a $4k rifle set up. I have a $500 set up that comes within a .5 inch in spread to the more expensive rifle. It is worth it to me for the difference but won't to 99% of the population.

Most subs from reputable companies make a respectable product.

I was looking at the JBL GT5's, but couldn't find much regarding box size recommendations. Since my box is built and everything is ready to go, I don't have much room for leeway. The American Bass XD's also don't list a recommended box size. I like the DCons very much (at least on paper), but they wouldn't be a good match for my box. Basically, building that box for the Infinity's screwed me. I don't know why people dislike Infinity drivers, I had 2 12" Infinity Perfects several years back, and they were my favorite subs (over Alpine Type R's, MTX Thunder 8000's, RF Punch XLC's, Audiobahn aw1200q's). They were extremely loud and had really good SQ in a sealed box powered by a 1st gen JL Audio 500/1.

As far upgrading the amps - doubtful. I bought a really nice wiring kit (JL Audio dual amp kit) and I just don't see myself buying another one to replace it anytime soon. The reason I bought those amps is because they do 500 watts RMS at 2 ohm (CEA certified) but only require 8 gauge wire and 60 amp fuses - it all seemed to be a good fit when I bought it.

After spending half of the day at work on Thursday looking at all of my options, I settled for Rockford Fosgate P2D2 12's. They have great reviews everywhere I've looked, and I got a decent deal on them from Crutchfield. If I don't like the way they sound, I can send back for a refund.

On a side note, I also ordered 40sq ft of Second Skin Damplifier, all or most of which will go in/around the trunk. My next setup will likely be an IB setup with 15's, so I need the trunk to be sealed pretty well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.