30hz vs 32hz tune?

EpicMango
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
Will there be a discernible difference if I tune at 30hz vs 32hz? I'm trying to get nice and low, but I feel that with rear firing subs, I should tune a little higher so I can eek out those extra db'z because the rear firing will bring out the lows anyways?

Should I tune to 31hz? Am I making too big a deal out of this? :p

Are there tonal differences when tuning higher vs lower? I heard that tuning higher makes the bass sound more boomy?
Not generally speaking.

You may be thinking about when people use too much port area in order to tune higher and get better numbers. When it's underdampened with too much port area, yeah it can sound "boomy"

My setup is the opposite. I'm on the small side for port area and it has a tight response, but I'd like it to be more boomy. My output isn't quite as much as I'd like. I added more port length, but I'd have to re-do the wall if I want to make things much better. It's on my list to do, but I might be buying another amp and swapping subs for four 18's.

Right now, they're "overdampened" or whatever

Are there tonal differences when tuning higher vs lower? I heard that tuning higher makes the bass sound more boomy?
Depends on what you classify as boomy. Lots of clueless guys out there think strong 45hz peak is boomy, some think 25-35hz frequencies are boomy and some think 55hz and up frequencies are boomy. Note this is peak in your actual musical response, not box tuning.

What people consider boomy is actually properly classified as PEAKY (some frequencies are way too strong compared to others) and they dont know it. A flat frequency response generally will leave most people with no complaints.

Seriously though man its ALL in the music, if the song has boom, it will boom, if the song has tight bass, the sub will play tight bass. there's not much more to it.

Tuning frequency along with box/port size affects group delay which is how tight and accurate your response will be. However some people like their bass peaking at a higher frequency rather than flat bass curve because its their listening preferences which is why they tune higher.

In my personal listening tastes, I cant stand tuning low, zero impact up top in the 60hz region, I mean it will it but its no where near as strong as the 25hz to 50hz region.

Depends on what you classify as boomy. Lots of clueless guys out there think strong 45hz peak is boomy, some think 25-35hz frequencies are boomy and some think 55hz and up frequencies are boomy. Note this is peak in your actual musical response, not box tuning.
What people consider boomy is actually properly classified as PEAKY (some frequencies are way too strong compared to others) and they dont know it. A flat frequency response generally will leave most people with no complaints.

Seriously though man its ALL in the music, if the song has boom, it will boom, if the song has tight bass, the sub will play tight bass. there's not much more to it.

Tuning frequency along with box/port size affects group delay which is how tight and accurate your response will be. However some people like their bass peaking at a higher frequency rather than flat bass curve because its their listening preferences which is why they tune higher.

In my personal listening tastes, I cant stand tuning low, zero impact up top in the 60hz region, I mean it will it but its no where near as strong as the 25hz to 50hz region.
Thats what a good midbass is for.

But im finding that I dont like the peakyness of 32 hz. I may try a sealed box on a lot of power soon

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Thats what a good midbass is for.
But im finding that I dont like the peakyness of 32 hz. I may try a sealed box on a lot of power soon

nope thats a cop out comment. Anyone who's heard a sub that can play up high cleanly will realize exactly what they've been missing in their music their whole lives. Its an even better blend to the sound stage up front when a sub can relieve the mids of that 50-100 hz duty. Along with the amazing chest kick you get from it as well.

Especially if you approach the 150 db sub stage, there's absolutely no way anything less than two 10s in each door can keep up properly on the same level as your subs when it comes to midbass. People think it keeps up but db wise, they are still a gigantic gap behind.

nope thats a cop out comment. Anyone who's heard a sub that can play up high cleanly will realize exactly what they've been missing in their music their whole lives. Its an even better blend to the sound stage up front when a sub can relieve the mids of that 50-100 hz duty. Along with the amazing chest kick you get from it as well.
I have a ssa icon which loves high bass and a 6.5 with 9mm of excursion. They blend extremely well. Both are crossed at 65hz and I understand what you mean but still. A very good midbass can do the same thing.

Yes I went from a box tuned around 40 to a box I made from blueprints I ordered from the ct sounds website that is 32hz and I don’t get much on regular music it has to be low bass

7 year old thread.

really.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

EpicMango

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
EpicMango
Colorado
Start date
Participants