Tuning amp to ported box for best sound.

tbangem
10+ year member

Trying to figure out how to get my sub to sound like I want or do I need to change back to sealed box. I am running a sae 600d on SA 12 d2 in a ported box tuned to 32hz. I am used to running sealed configuration. The issue is I can't get it to hit the low notes. Songs like young jeezy put on it sounds like it is missing notes in the song. Is there a way I need to tune. I have the filter set at 30hz and the subsonic at 22hz.

tune lower? i think you're expecting too much out of a 12

sealing the vehicle properly and loading the enclosure and port appropriately will make a huge difference

Trying to figure out how to get my sub to sound like I want or do I need to change back to sealed box. I am running a sae 600d on SA 12 d2 in a ported box tuned to 32hz. I am used to running sealed configuration. The issue is I can't get it to hit the low notes. Songs like young jeezy put on it sounds like it is missing notes in the song. Is there a way I need to tune. I have the filter set at 30hz and the subsonic at 22hz.
low pass should not be at 30 wth? leave it wide open or at 80hz. Sounds like a box issue, too much port area or its not facing the proper direction.

Should have the lpf aroung 50-80 . And subsonic a little below your box tuning . . . . Where did you get the enclosure? Can you post the specs. Like dimensions of the enclosure and port area and length?

I said earlier I have no experieince in using ported boxes. I like sundown products but hear they sound better in ported boxes. So far it sounds like crap. But here is the box and specs below. I also just upgraded the amp to SAE 1000D. Talking to the Sundown rep he said it will be ideal amp for that sub.

12-Ported-MDF-Enclosure-20-Cu-Ft-32hz_p_640.html
Single 12" custom slot-ported enclosure

Compatible with most 12" round woofers

2.0 ft^3 slot-port tuned @ 32Hz

Solid MDF construction

1-1/4" Reinforced MDF front baffle

Durable dark gray carpet

Gold-plated binding post terminals

Box volume (net. int.): 2.0 cubic feet

Tuned to: 32Hz

Woofer cutout diameter: 11" round (oversized subs may require slight mod)

Box weight: 39 lbs.

Dimensions (W x H x D): 30" x 13-1/2" x 16"

I said earlier I have no experieince in using ported boxes. I like sundown products but hear they sound better in ported boxes. So far it sounds like crap. But here is the box and specs below. I also just upgraded the amp to SAE 1000D. Talking to the Sundown rep he said it will be ideal amp for that sub.
Single 12" custom slot-ported enclosure

Compatible with most 12" round woofers

2.0 ft^3 slot-port tuned @ 32Hz

Solid MDF construction

1-1/4" Reinforced MDF front baffle

Durable dark gray carpet

Gold-plated binding post terminals

Box volume (net. int.): 2.0 cubic feet

Tuned to: 32Hz

Woofer cutout diameter: 11" round (oversized subs may require slight mod)

Box weight: 39 lbs.

Dimensions (W x H x D): 30" x 13-1/2" x 16"

junk box. Thats why you dont buy premade garbage online.

who made the box

what are the port specs , how do you know its at 32 hertz

link to box if you bought it on line

LPF at 80 not 30

subsonic at 20 hertz

what car do you have

I have a Dodge Challenger. Car audio shops around here use pre fab boxes. So why pay more for the same crap.
12" Ported MDF Enclosure 2.0 Cu. Ft @32hz

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Who is complaining
"ported box cant hit lows", "ported box sounds sh*tty", might need to change back to sealed". Seems like you are going that way. As said before, raise your low pass filter. 30 is completely wrong. Plus that put on by young jeezy doesnt even go that low, you are most likely missing all the high notes with the low pass filter on 30 hz. Fix that up ASAP.

30 hz means anything 30hz and above will be cut off so if you are missing bass notes, thats the main culprit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

tbangem

10+ year member
tbangem
Panama CIty, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from