Amp/subs cut out when bass hits to hard

I recently wired my 2015 Jeep Wrangler with 8gauge power and ground. I have a pioneer avhp1400dvd head unit, Kenwood 8105D mono pushing a brand new Rockford Fosgate p3s 1x12 loaded enclosure. I noticed when I turn the input sensitivity down I can have the bass boost on the amp all the way turned up. But if I turn the bass up using my head unit EQ, the amp/sub cuts out until I either lower the volume or turn my jeep on/off. The kenwood amp puts out 500 rms and the subs are rated for 400rms but they are Rockford so I know they can handle more. In my old vehicle I had the same amp pushing 2 kicker comp vr 12s with ported kicker enclosure and they would hit so hard!! I know that with this being a sealed box and only being 1 12" sub it's not going to hit nearly as hard but I should be able to push this thing a lot harder than what it's putting out now. The ground is nice and tight so I don't think it's that, I made sure to scratch all of the pint off and bolted it to the body, 8 gauge is recommended with this amp, my jeep only has 9k miles so I don't think it's the batter/alternator. I'm about to throw my old kicker box in the jeep and see if the problem persist.... But does anyone have a suggestion as to what it may be? I have read so many threads but can't seem to figure it out. I'm starting to wonder if the subs being internally wired to 1 ohm is conflicting with the amp which I can only assume is 2 ohm stable but I'll be the first to admit the ohm thing is kind of over my head. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

It sounds like you're trying to get more output from your setup than it's really capable and exceeding hte capability of the amp. Amp gain should be set with bass boost and all bass controls at zero or less and with volume at a reasonable level. When you up your boost and crank the bass/volume you're asking your amplifier to do more with the voltage you're battery is giving it. Eventually it gives up and goes into protect. Because it's a decent amp it has the capability to shut off before cooking itself.

Ok so I typed all that then decided to verify your impedance. The sub is 1 ohm and the amp is 2 ohm stable. Which is okay on a small amp if youre electrical is okay but having your bass turned up is overworking the amp. It's going into protect. If you had fused properly you likely would have blow the fuse. I'd sell the amp and get a cheap 1000 watt 1 ohm stable with a 4 gauge power and ground. And always, always, always on any system do a Big 3 wiring upgrade.

The factory pre-loaded box (if that is what you have) is wired for 1 ohm. Is your amp 1 ohm stable?

If not, it is going into protect mode from being driven too hard.

I know when i had this problem, it was because the connection at the inline fuse under to hood wasn't good, it also could be your ground connection, go through and check your power cables from the battery all the way to the amp, and from the amp to the ground. otherwise it might be a wiring issue with the resistances.

Update: the problem was that the sub/enclosure that I bought was internally wired at 1 ohm. I took the sub out and wired it at 4 ohms and it's working great with my amp so far, it hasn't cut out yet. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.