Headphone selection help!

ladysmanfelpz
10+ year member

Phoenix
Not big into headphones, but definitely think it's time to upgrade from my cheap skullcandy's. I don't even listen to much music with them anyway, usually just for movies on flights. Not going for flash either. Hate beats although they do sound okay. So what are some good ones for under $200?

Do you all prefer in ear or over? Noise cancelling or no? Any reason for a headphone to be amplified (do they even make those)? What do you look for in a headphone, bass, treble, adjustable eq, etc?

Sorry I'm posting here but this is the only audio site I visit. I've gone with in ear skullcandy's as a good fit blocks a good amount of sound (although you do get some engine and wind noise of the plane) and increased bass from the seal. In ear doesn't bother me and in fact think they are more comfortable since you don't have blocks on the sides of your head and a strap on top. Eq would be nice since I'm kind of an audiophile, but as long as I get some theater like sound I'm happy. Dunno about noise cancelling as I don't think any system is perfect and would rather just limit external noise instead of cancel some of my music's sound.

So far I'm thinking about these.

RHA - MA750i - Noise Isolating, Premium In-Ear Headphone with remote and microphone

What do you all think?

Thanks

Love sennheisers. My favorite headphone brand. Many of their headphones are very comfortable to wear over the ear for long periods of time. Very smooth response and even has some good bass reproduction. Adding an amp makes it louder and can come alive but it's not absolutely necessary. Some people buy these little portable DAC/Amp units that you connect with your ipod/music player. There's even stand alone DAC/Amps that can range from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. Any machine that plays music or sound has some form of a DAC in it but some are made better than others. I feel it makes a difference to invest in one but for some people, just plugging in some random headphones into their phone is good enough.

noise cancelling is mainly for work, not very good for SQ IMO.
Yeah thats what I figured. I thought the noise cancelling would throw in more frequencies than are needed. Passive is enough for me. Sounds like Sennheiser is the way to go!

Anybody prefer an in-ear to over?

NVX / Brainwaves H5 nice isolation very good, sound is good $130.

Superlux hd681 Evo good bang for the buck, $45, but theyreSemi open back. I like these better than my Sennheiser HD 598.

Yeah thats what I figured. I thought the noise cancelling would throw in more frequencies than are needed. Passive is enough for me. Sounds like Sennheiser is the way to go!
Anybody prefer an in-ear to over?
sound stage is not there unless you spring for 500+ pairs of custom tailored earbuds

Either way you'll want the best audio player that can play FLAC along with a powerful DAC/amp.

sound stage is not there unless you spring for 500+ pairs of custom tailored earbuds
Either way you'll want the best audio player that can play FLAC along with a powerful DAC/amp.
Who makes the Custom earbuds? Id like to hear a good sound stage with headphones/earbuds.

The "3D haircut recording" on headphones its the closest iv'e heard to a real good sound stage with headphones.

OP, if your budget can go up to $300 the Meze 99 Classic is i very nice Headphone worth the extra coin.

If you want a deal on some almost new black Sennheiser HD 598, i would sell you mine $90 shipped. Only about 3 hours on them.

Depending on what one is looking for as far as sound from their headphones goes, and more importantly the rest of the rig, you can get very good soundstage from non-custom IEMs.

I've been abusing and loving the same pair of Shure SE215s for 4 years, and prefer them over the B&W P5s I bought direct from B&W for $25, and over the AKG K450 I had bought for my son. Bass is quite good, mids are warm and very fulfilling, highs and overall detail could be a little better, but for $100, they're amazing. It just depends on whether you're looking for reference quality or something fun to listen to music with. Using the foam ear tips, noise isolation is superb.

Really, though, the DAC, Amp, player and source material matter at least as much. It's like driving top of the line subs in a pre-made enclosure with a low quality amp and a factory cassette player.

What kind of music do you listen to?

With bass, would you rather hear the detail and texture or powerful impact?

What's more important, bass to you or crystal clear highs and detail?

Who makes the Custom earbuds? Id like to hear a good sound stage with headphones/earbuds. The "3D haircut recording" on headphones its the closest iv'e heard to a real good sound stage with headphones.

https://pro.ultimateears.com/

Youll need to supply them with accurate ear measurements from a certified physician, the whole shebang. I tried some that was someone elses and they already sound amazing even without a full proper seal.

When you hear a good Soundstage, you dont need special audio like the virtual barber. Even music you thought was just plain stereo sound becomes lifelike in a way you never heard them before with a super wide soundstage like you are in a concert hall. Its not limited to the space around your head or few feet away.

I've got Beats Pro's for over ear headphones. They're alright, but are four years old and aren't as good as they used to be. They're $400, which is out of the price range, but just giving my two cents on them. I think they're my favorite looking headphones, but they're not the best sound you can get.

I personally prefer earbuds to headphones. I don't like on-ear headphones. They seem to hurt my ears after an hour or don't stay on properly when moving. Over ear headphones are bulky/heavy and the good ones are expensive. With earbuds, they're small and I feel that they passively block more outside noise than headphones. Also, you can get good ones for less money. I like the Sennheiser earbuds, and honestly Bose earbuds aren't bad imo.

My favorite $ to performance earbuds are my DD earbuds for $50. A close second is Skullcandy's Titan series.

I don't know if that helps you at all, but that's my input on the subject

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.