Avalanche Escalade EXT enclosure question

Participant count
  • Participant list

GM Joe

How you guys doing? First post here. I have an Escalade EXT with 2 12" Kicker CVRs 4 ohm dual coil in a ported box. Enclosure is about 1.5 cubic foot per woofer being pushed by a 2000w hifonic amp. Midgate is removed with speakers facing forward towards the rear seat. I am about to build a ported midgate enclosure but stumbled across a question. While transporting a lawnmower the other day I had to remove the last tonnau panel closest to the tailgate and noticed my bass output increased dramatically. I've built cars with sealed enclosures in the trunk facing the rear to get good bass output but when opening the trunk lid the bass fell off, but this increased my output. So my question is what happened here and how do I incorporate whatever happened into my midgate build? Did this turn it into a bandpass type enclosure? What is the best design for this type of vehicle once the midgate is in place? Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound like you box isn't sealed well at the Midgate and when you opened your cover it probably mimic the same thing as opening a crack in the widow to produce more output.

Your right about being sealed at the midgate. Its just a box laying in the bed behind the rear seat with no midgate. I tried cracking the rear windows with the panel back in place to try and mimic the panel being removed but didnt see any improvement, and that was playing my music with the front windows cracked about 6" each to vent and get a good sound. Its like it has to be vented behind the box for it to amplify. This is a new one for me.

Your right about being sealed at the midgate. Its just a box laying in the bed behind the rear seat with no midgate. I tried cracking the rear windows with the panel back in place to try and mimic the panel being removed but didnt see any improvement, and that was playing my music with the front windows cracked about 6" each to vent and get a good sound. Its like it has to be vented behind the box for it to amplify. This is a new one for me.
This is really strange. I'm no expert but here is my understanding.

If the box is sealed well where it comes in contact with the midgate then all of the sound should be going into the cab of your truck. Having the tonneau panels on or off should not effect sound in any way.

So I'm going to say that I think it has to do with how the box is sealed up against the midgate.

Is the box just pushed up against the metal/plastic lining of the midgate? If it is, maybe use some silicone, great stuff, or CCF (closed cell foam - aka window seal) to help seal up the edges where the box meets the midgate.

This is really strange. I'm no expert but here is my understanding.
If the box is sealed well where it comes in contact with the midgate then all of the sound should be going into the cab of your truck. Having the tonneau panels on or off should not effect sound in any way.

So I'm going to say that I think it has to do with how the box is sealed up against the midgate.

Is the box just pushed up against the metal/plastic lining of the midgate? If it is, maybe use some silicone, great stuff, or CCF (closed cell foam - aka window seal) to help seal up the edges where the box meets the midgate.
There currently is no midgate. Just a ported box facing forward toward the back of the rear seat. I thought that removing the tonnau cover would actually decrease the bass some but it did opposite. I actually did another test earlier and dropped the rear seat down and put the tonnau cover back on to see if the bass stayed the same and it actually decreased opposed to it being off.

Last edited by a moderator:
There currently is no midgate. Just a ported box facing forward toward the back of the rear seat. I thought that the tonnau cover would actually decrease the bass some but it did opposite. I actually did another test earlier and dropped the rear seat down and put the tonnau cover back on to see if the bass stayed the same and it actually decreased opposed to it being off.
I know there is no midgate. If there was then you wouldn't be getting any sound into the cab lol.

What I meant was, how is the box sealed up against where it comes in contact with where the midgate used to be?

For example, your situation is similar to a box in the trunk of a car where the rear seats fold down. If someone folds down the back seats and has the subs facing toward the cab then that would not sound good unless you completely seal the trunk from the cab around the edges of the box.

Ok I understand what your saying. Yeah there is no seal around the box. It's open on the 3 sides. I will go ahead and make the midgate as the front panel of the ported enclosure that way the cabin is separated from the bed like I want and see how it goes. Thank you for your input BoogerMan. What a great forum!

Ok I understand what your saying. Yeah there is no seal around the box. It's open on the 3 sides. I will go ahead and make the midgate as the front panel of the ported enclosure that way the cabin is separated from the bed like I want and see how it goes. Thank you for your input BoogerMan. What a great forum!
No problem! You will be happy you did. You are losing output with the way you have it currently because it is escaping around the 3 open sides. Once you seal it, all of that escaping output will now go into your ears //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

How do you plan on doing it? There are probably some very easy ways to do it that don't require cutting anything.

Can you upload some pictures of the box/midgate so we can see the gaps?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.