LF Advice on buying new speakers and what not

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jcdanible

OAHU
Just bought a new Kenwood KMM-BT315Ustereo, starting the slow climb to having a nice sound system. Looking to buy speakers next and then subs. My vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000 with the infinity system. I'm wanting to replace the tweeters, front and rear speakers. I've heard that an Amp is good to help for sound quality and allow you to play your music loud without blowing speakers. I like my music EXTREMELY loud and want to get a pretty cool system. I mainly listen to Rap/Hip-hop but also listen to heavy metal, pop, country, R&B and a few others. I'm not wanting to spend a whole ton of money and actually looking for more of a budget bang for your buck type system. I also do own a pair of 6x9" Pioner speakers but They don't fit so I would be willing to do a custom job for that. Hoping someone can give me some recommendations on what i should do.

Also would be nice if someone could explain how to set everything up or maybe some stuff i wouldn't know since I'm newer to this.

If you like loud you have come to the right place.

You will find faster and better answers to beginner install question using the search feature on here. First step will be to buy a wiring harness and dash kit to install your new headunit. From here the sky is the limit.

If you like loud you have come to the right place.
You will find faster and better answers to beginner install question using the search feature on here. First step will be to buy a wiring harness and dash kit to install your new headunit. From here the sky is the limit.

Already got it installed!!!!! Just wondering where i should go from here.

Not sure what those infinity's sound like but I would be willing to bet (given your preferred genre of music) you would be most happy with an add on subwoofer and amplifier. Also your vehicle has plenty of space to put a ported box. I'm not a believer in insane amounts of watts, then again I'm not into the SPL thing.

If I were you I would look at a ported box tuned somewhere in the 30's with a single 12" or single 15" sub woofer in the 500 watt range with 500 watt amp. If this is not loud enough you may have the itch.....in that case things are going to get more complicated and equally louder.

Not sure what those infinity's sound like but I would be willing to bet (given your preferred genre of music) you would be most happy with an add on subwoofer and amplifier. Also your vehicle has plenty of space to put a ported box. I'm not a believer in insane amounts of watts, then again I'm not into the SPL thing.
If I were you I would look at a ported box tuned somewhere in the 30's with a single 12" or single 15" sub woofer in the 500 watt range with 500 watt amp. If this is not loud enough you may have the itch.....in that case things are going to get more complicated and equally louder.

Well I know i want to replace the speakers first because one or maybe two are blown and then I'm missing one rear speaker and then on top of that they sound horrible. I need new tweeters, rear, and front door speakers just looking for recommendations. Not wanting to spend very much $

For a budget friendly setup I would suggest a 2 x 100 watt amp and a passive set of 6.5" components for the front. The price you want to spend on the amp and components could vary a couple hundred dollars....totally up to you. Also keep in mind you will need the wiring for the amp which could be most easily purchased in a kit.

The rear speakers you could power with your kenwood and just buy some under $50 coaxial speakers. Pioneers are decent for this type of thing.

For a budget friendly setup I would suggest a 2 x 100 watt amp and a passive set of 6.5" components for the front. The price you want to spend on the amp and components could vary a couple hundred dollars....totally up to you. Also keep in mind you will need the wiring for the amp which could be most easily purchased in a kit.
The rear speakers you could power with your kenwood and just buy some under $50 coaxial speakers. Pioneers are decent for this type of thing.
I do have a 6x9" pair of pioneer I think front speakers possibly rear that don't fit but I was thinking of like modding them in since they were free. I think i want to have an amp to power all the speakers but I'm not sure. My friend might hook me up with his brand new subs and amp since he doesn't use them. 2x10 pioneer subs and the amp was like $220.

speakers are not position specific....front/rear. You could use those pioneers in the rear if they fit....buy a set of components and amp + your friends sub and amp and you have a complete system for cheaper than most could do it.

Your front speakers need to be amp, in my opinion your rear speakers will be fine running off power from your kenwood. The sub will need an amp as well.

You should google what size speakers are in your jeep, that will help to know what will fit and what won't.

speakers are not position specific....front/rear. You could use those pioneers in the rear if they fit....buy a set of components and amp + your friends sub and amp and you have a complete system for cheaper than most could do it.
Your front speakers need to be amp, in my opinion your rear speakers will be fine running off power from your kenwood. The sub will need an amp as well.

You should google what size speakers are in your jeep, that will help to know what will fit and what won't.
I looked it up and apparently these fit in my jeep:

Front: 6" x 9"

Rear: 6-3/4"

Front door: 6" x 9"

Back door: 6-3/4"

Also found this but the small cut-out size in the door means that few aftermarket 6x9's will fit. Instead, plan on getting 6-1/2" or 5-1/4" speakers for this location. (This is probably why my 6x9" pioneers don't fit.

Well....good for you most SQ people prefer 6.5" speakers over 6" x 9"

What you will need is some MDF wood from lowes and a router.....next make a trace using your door panel and cut out a "baffle" which will convert the 6 x 9 oval hole into a 6.5 circular hole

I made 6x9 to 6.5 baffles for my truck a few years back.

HPIM0306.jpg

HPIM0307.jpg

Well....good for you most SQ people prefer 6.5" speakers over 6" x 9"
What you will need is some MDF wood from lowes and a router.....next make a trace using your door panel and cut out a "baffle" which will convert the 6 x 9 oval hole into a 6.5 circular hole
sorry, I'm not understanding are you saying i should cut a hole to convert my door from a 6x9 oval to a circular 6.5"? I'm really confused on how to do this. and why would i want to?

yes, I'm just confused on why i would want to do this...?
you said few aftermarket 6 x 9's will fit due to cut out size. This is the perfect situation to use a baffle and convert to 6.5" mids...the tweets included in the component set would replace your factory tweets in the same location.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.