alt whine, ground loop, hum after installing lc6i?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cocoleveo7686
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MA
So the shop installed the lc6i for me yesterday along with my stereo. Well now even with the volume on and off i get a hum/alt whine.

I have the factory headunit that the signals were taken before the amp. I read you can ground the rcas but would i ground the rcas that go into the lc6i? Or ground the ones going into amp? I was told the lc6i has a ground loop noise eliminator in it so im not sure how to get rid of it.

The gain is not up high on the lc6i either

ground loops can be a ***** I've never had one in my Lightning but my cousins Chevy cobalt seems to just find them with any setup.

Not sure what you can do....wish you the best of luck. It will be interesting to see if you solve this is RCA grounding...

ground loops can be a ***** I've never had one in my Lightning but my cousins Chevy cobalt seems to just find them with any setup.
Not sure what you can do....wish you the best of luck. It will be interesting to see if you solve this is RCA grounding...
Thanks. Bump!

So the shop installed the lc6i for me yesterday along with my stereo. Well now even with the volume on and off i get a hum/alt whine.
I have the factory headunit that the signals were taken before the amp. I read you can ground the rcas but would i ground the rcas that go into the lc6i? Or ground the ones going into amp? I was told the lc6i has a ground loop noise eliminator in it so im not sure how to get rid of it.

The gain is not up high on the lc6i either
Are your grounds all the same? If not, ground everything to one point, amps, lci, everything you can that isnt factory. Do not ground audio equipment to the same ground as factory anything.

If they are all grounded at the same point, try grounding at different points away from eachother.

Where is your lci? You may be picking up interference from factory components. Is your power wire anywhere near your rcas? If so, move them away.

Are you positive you have a good ground on everything? Do you know how to check for good grounds?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Are your grounds all the same? If not, ground everything to one point, amps, lci, everything you can that isnt factory. Do not ground audio equipment to the same ground as factory anything.
If they are all grounded at the same point, try grounding at different points away from eachother.

Where is your lci? You may be picking up interference from factory components. Is your power wire anywhere near your rcas? If so, move them away.

Are you positive you have a good ground on everything? Do you know how to check for good grounds?

Ill have to check to see if they are all grounded at the same point. I know my battery bank is grounded to the frame and i thought the lc6i is at a different grounding point. Not too sure.

But i have a ppi 900.4 and when i unplugged the sub rca the sound went away. I currently took out the sub amp (waiting on bigger on) and theres no noise. So it has to be from the output of the rca of the lc6i going to sub amp?

Ill have to check to see if they are all grounded at the same point. I know my battery bank is grounded to the frame and i thought the lc6i is at a different grounding point. Not too sure.
But i have a ppi 900.4 and when i unplugged the sub rca the sound went away. I currently took out the sub amp (waiting on bigger on) and theres no noise. So it has to be from the output of the rca of the lc6i going to sub amp?
DO NOT unplug or plug in or touch rcas when the car is on or the amp/head unit has power. You can blow up equipment. Its called hot swapping.

But have you checked that you have good grounds?

It could also be wiring to your sub. Loose wire or even a small strand touching metal.

http://www.termpro.com/asp/pubs.asp?ID=121

DO NOT unplug or plug in or touch rcas when the car is on or the amp/head unit has power. You can blow up equipment. Its called hot swapping.
But have you checked that you have good grounds?

It could also be wiring to your sub. Loose wire or even a small strand touching metal.

How To - Car Stereo - In Pursuit of a Noise-Free System: The Ten Commandments of Noise Prevention

sorry i should have clarified i had the car turned off. I was taking the sub amp out anyways and now theres no sound but even when i unplugged it with the vehicle off and turned the vehicle back on the sound was gone. So its definitely rca's i believe. Weird because theres also rca going to my 4 channel ppi amp but i believe its right next to the 4 channel. So im going to try to reroute the rca's. I see there is 1 ground for the battery bank. Grounds were run to amps from batteries. But the ppi has a seperate ground than my battery bank i believe. I might have to put the ground of the LC6i and the ppi on the same ground as the battery bank?

yes i have good grounds checked with a multimeter.

Is that your truck in your avatar? Do you have a build log?

Yea that is my truck, that picture is from 2007 though. Sorry none of my new gear is documented in a build log....nothing special. I cut out a hole at the top of my door panels for my tweeters. Amps are behind the seats. 8" is in a pre-fab sealed box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

cocoleveo7686

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
cocoleveo7686
MA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date