Worth refinishing old school PG distro block?

Sleeklsc
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
I have an old Phoenix gold distro block that I used for a install 15 or so years ago. Over the years the finish started chipping (and then rusting), Is this piece worth refinishing? Everything is in good condition with the exception of the case and buildup up dust and such...

So is it worth putting in the time? I'd just end up selling it either way but figured I might get a little more if I clean it up a bit.

Looks like some sort of on off switch along with good and bad fuse indicators....but yea that circuit looks more complex than those 2 things...who knows I'm no circuit designer

btw, id be interested in buying.. pm me a price as is!
I haven't really thought of a price. Besides, all I have to compare it to is one or two similar units in original condition on ebay. It's a unique piece so I don't want to just give it away but do understand that it needs some makeup. Let me think about it.

why does a disto block need any kind of uh computer circuits??
Looks like some sort of on off switch along with good and bad fuse indicators....but yea that circuit looks more complex than those 2 things...who knows I'm no circuit designer
I honestly don't even know. Trey knows just about as much as I do about it. All I remember doing is wiring it up like a regular distro and

hooking up the other terminal to ground. It has been so long since I've used it. I might just go test it again if I have some agu's in the tool box. Meh, wire will do.

The switch is to turn it on/off, it'll work either way as a distro block. Turning it on activates the leds and the RJ input. Leds are agu fuse status (Red=Blown, Green=Good) and I have no idea what the RJ 11/45(?) does. Smaller terminal off to the side is for ground.

She's filthy, time to give her a gentle cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well haven't done much the last couple weeks. Shortly after the last group of pictures I polished the clear cover, cleaned the board, realigned the terminals and did the bulk of the prep work. Had a buyer but he didn't want to spend a couple extra bucks to help cover shipping so that motivated me to get it into paint. Today I did a quick pre-paint sand job and gave it a couple coats of primer until I can figure out which color I want to go with. I want something that'll look different but not tacky.

Just a loose fitting to see if white would look good.

Did some stuff today. Bought some black hammered paint and layed down a few coats. I had some time to kill between each coat so I decided to polish up the terminals. I wasn't able to get in certain areas so I ended up removing them. They were definitely in need of it, that's for sure. Didn't realize just how tarnished they had gotten over the years.

Before

This is when I decided to just polish them off the board

All done

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.