hidden subwoofer opinions

bhom920

NJ
Hi, i have a volvo xc60 with a small amount of space under the rear floor and i currently have a pioneer TS-SW2002D2 in pioneer's small matching enclosure and i'm looking for a bit more low end bass, not necessarily louder. I'm in debate whether it would be better to get a second TS-SW2002D2 or squeeze in a Alpine sbr-s8-4 which is ported and no longer a "slim" sub so i'm expecting that it would be able to hit much lower notes.

The one thing that concerns me is if i go with the alpine subwoofer, my false floor will be right up against the grill with maybe 1/8" to spare and i'm concerned if that would hinder the sound.

Here is what i'm working with

20160309_212709_zpsrexnhuhe.jpg

This is the alpine subwoofer i had in mind

SBR-S8-4_new-500x500.jpg

x500SBRS84-o_rightangle.jpg

Typically the bigger the sub the lower it'll hit. I'd go with a shallow 10" or 12" if you wanna keep it in the same area and get a custom box made

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, it all depends on the enclosure actually.
Enclosure does have a lot to do with it but bigger sub's can usually hit them lower frequency's easier at least in my experience

i'd like to keep it as a off the shelf system if possible. the pioneer's are rated down to 20hz, but i don't see how that is possible with only .15 cubic ft of box

i'd like to keep it as a off the shelf system if possible. the pioneer's are rated down to 20hz, but i don't see how that is possible with only .15 cubic ft of box
If you want to hit low frequencies you'll need a custom box prefab boxes are ****

If you want to hit low frequencies you'll need a custom box prefab boxes are ****
how is this helpful? Looking at the alpine box it looks like they spent alot of time on box design, unlike the pioneer i have which is just a simple sealed box.

i'm leaning towards picking up the alpine up, but i'm a bit concerned with the subwoofer so close to the false floor. This being a ported design would that mean most of the sound is coming from the port vs the face of the sub?

U need to figure out how much space you have and then I'd build 1 8" ported box of you can fit it.. Maybe a sundown 6.5" or American bass or massive audio 6.5".... Shallow mount woofers suckkkkkkkk so baddddd... If you like the pioneer u have now just build a new enclosure tuned lower if that's what u want.

The alpine sub is actually a decent little sub. I put one in the hatch of an ex's car and it got decently loud and low . If it was me I'd set a depth guide on a drill bit and perforate the wood/ metal in front of the sub. But you're an 1/8th off the grill and not the surround so you should be ok

how is this helpful? Looking at the alpine box it looks like they spent alot of time on box design, unlike the pioneer i have which is just a simple sealed box.
i'm leaning towards picking up the alpine up, but i'm a bit concerned with the subwoofer so close to the false floor. This being a ported design would that mean most of the sound is coming from the port vs the face of the sub?
This sometimes isn't true with company prefab set ups. The alpine is a very nice box but the design may not help you hit low notes. A lot of the prefab or factory boxes have higher tuning and my get louder but drop off under tuning. Ive heard the alpines and they didn't have any low end to me. The shop here that sells them does there own custom box for the alpines unless the customer just wants a set it and forget option. They get more out of them in their box compared to the alpine box. The shop also got in some DD prefab set ups with the sub included and the shop figured out the tuning was close to 40. They got loud but again didn't have low end. I would measure your space and get a nice box designed around goals and find a sub that fits.

I ended up purchasing the alpine from sonic. They had a $18 off coupon and a good return policy. I realized that I asked a very tough question as everyone has a different perception of the amount of bass. Once I receive it i'll test it out and update this thread. Thanks

its good for what it is. I heard the alpine for the 8" and the 6" a couple of times. People who have had subs before think they lack. People that don't really care like my wife or somebody that doesn't want any custom would think its pretty good. We also have to keep in mind that its a single 8" on usually limited power. Its not going to set the world on fire.

Buying a second of the same sub won't get you lower bass.

Also this freq rating don't say anything about the response curve...most small and shallow drivers drop off way before 20hz even though they can technically produce a 20 hz tone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.