Need advice on an enclosure

Participant count
  • Participants list

supraman1379
10+ year member

Lifted 03 HEMI
Ocala, Fl
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4 door. It has the storage under the rear seats with the metal racks that cover it. I have been trying to figure out what kind of enclosure would work best for 2 12's. I am not sure what subwoofers I am looking to put in it. I had thoughts of maybe RE or FI audio subs.

View attachment 26554583

I have looked online at the prefab boxes that fit this truck right, but I dont like prefab as much. I am partial to fiberglass work if it comes down to it. I want to be able to get maximum air space without having to remove the seats.

Removing the seats is not an option since I have three kids.

What are some thoughts on this?

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4 door. It has the storage under the rear seats with the metal racks that cover it. I have been trying to figure out what kind of enclosure would work best for 2 12's. I am not sure what subwoofers I am looking to put in it. I had thoughts of maybe RE or FI audio subs.
View attachment 26554583

I have looked online at the prefab boxes that fit this truck right, but I dont like prefab as much. I am partial to fiberglass work if it comes down to it. I want to be able to get maximum air space without having to remove the seats.

Removing the seats is not an option since I have three kids.

What are some thoughts on this?
how about a console box with one beastly 12. That way you'd still be able to seat 5.

how about a console box with one beastly 12. That way you'd still be able to seat 5.
I had thought about that. But I would like to stick with something that goes under the rear seats. I use the console alot in my truck.

I have been researching doing some fiberglass work. I have never done it but I dont see it being too hard. I would make an MDF or HDF frame around the base of the under seat storage and then fiberglass the rest.

There are so many options though lol

I am sure that there are pros and cons to fiberglass enclosures though.

I am also wondering if there is any way to make a port for something like that.
Sure. Aero port all day long, though itd have to face the same way as the driver, for reasons beyond my knowledge. Ported boxes need to be bigger and I dont see you having that room

Look at shallow mount subs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I have looked at shallow mounts. I am not too impressed. They just don't do what I want. I have been looking at two FI Audio Q Series 12's. Possibly 15's if I can make it work.

However, I have found a way to raise my rear seat up a few inches. So if I can make 2 15's work sealed, I will. But I would be so much happier if I could find a way to vent two 12's if I raise the seat.

I probably mentioned before but the bottom of the enclosure will be fiber glassed to maximize air space at the bottom.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you would be surprised and impressed with a single ported 12. Choking subs has bad outcomes and I have gone through this with single cab trucks many of times. I would highly suggest starting with 1 12 .....you may be happy with the output if you buy good equipment.

I like the idea of a single sub. But I wouldn't settle for anything less than a single 15. But I went out and took a look at the truck and under the seats. I think there are too many angles and all that to make a decent vent. So I may be forced to settle for two sealed 12's. I'm ok with it.

The air space may be tight but I can feed a little extra power if that's the case. But if I raise the seats a couple of inches I can have the airspace needed.

The thing about not giving sealed subs enough box volume is that it usually cuts the low end....although if you look around there are some high powered 12s with smaller box sizes....don't know any off hand. I want to say the FI Q but even that....I don't know if you would be able to do 2 and have a proper box. More power to compensate won't bring out the low end.

Yea that's true. I'm going to research the subs more to see what will be right. I'll see what the recommendations are for a sealed box for FI Q's. The prefab boxes that can be bought for my truck are .65 cubic feet. So with fiberglass I will gain more air space. Then more if I raise the seats 3-4 inches if necessary.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.