Using an SSD in my car. Immediate powerloss when turning off car. Bad idea?

Just curious if anybody has noticed any problems using their hard drives (SSD, Ext. HDD etc) with a Nexus 7 +OTG cable, CarPC etc in their car?

When we turn off our cars, the hard drives get an immediate powerloss.

Will it cause an issue for an SSD that is playing music & suddenly looses power because I turn my car off?

Over the years I have always used iPod's in my car & never had a problem because when you turn your car off, the iPod does not turn off. It goes from the "do not disconnect" sign back to the main menu. That way the drive in the iPod is more properly protected than a regular hard drive when turning your car off?

You could get a relay or something that will slowly discharge but basically a computer suddenly cuts off power as long as you're not unplugging it I think you should be fine

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Yeah, what do you think happens in a computer? And what exactly do you want it to do? I think it would be more hazardous to the SSD's health to have a low voltage for a period of time.

You could get a relay or something that will slowly discharge but basically a computer suddenly cuts off power as long as you're not unplugging it I think you should be fine
Ya, I was thinking of a a small relay & then setting a 5 second delay. Does it really matter though?

I guess what I'm wondering is, will the files/sectors get corrupted or something if they are being read (playing music) and then power cuts off?

or is the ipod a better idea because when it looses powers, it just goes back to the main menu?

Yeah, what do you think happens in a computer? And what exactly do you want it to do? I think it would be more hazardous to the SSD's health to have a low voltage for a period of time.
I'm just using a Nexus 7 2013 in my car & wanted to use an SSD instead of my ipod's drive. The ipod can only transfer files back to the PC at about 15MB per sec & I like to backup my music collection often because I'm always adding new stuff.

Ya, I was thinking of a a small relay & then setting a 5 second delay. Does it really matter though? I guess what I'm wondering is, will the files/sectors get corrupted or something if they are being read (playing music) and then power cuts off?

or is the ipod a better idea because when it looses powers, it just goes back to the main menu?
sSD should be fine because it works the same way an external HDD or thumb drive works

So you're thinking even with no relay. There "shouldn't" be an issue of immediate power loss?
Exactly. I have had my USB thumb drive plugged in to my headunit for close to 4 months now and have never had an issue. How do you plan on supplying the SSD with power though?

Exactly. I have had my USB thumb drive plugged in to my headunit for close to 4 months now and have never had an issue. How do you plan on supplying the SSD with power though?
That part is all done. My USB hub has 12V input so its connected to IGN 12v accessory port. Unless that's not a good idea? The accessory 12V ports do have 5amp fuses.

There shouldn't be any issues, the only time data gets corrupted is during writes

Since it's an SSD, the head doesn't need to "park" like on a standard HDD.

ssd is much better for this than a disc/platter hard drive, as far as long term goes, its hardly an ideal environment but it should last quite a while. it'll last longer the more regulated you keep the voltage in (the ssd power supply might be regulated already) and the more you isolate it from vibration.

ssds are perfect for this(music) because they only have a limited number of write times, and you often dont wipe and put new music on, you just add more.

When you shut down a PC does your screen just completely die or do you see Windows shutdown services and processes?

When you shut down a PC does your screen just completely die or do you see Windows shutdown services and processes?
It stops reading/accessing it, but voltage doesn't waver. Which he could solve by simply shutting off the HU or switching to a different source. What exactly do you propose?

It stops reading/accessing it, but voltage doesn't waver. Which he could solve by simply shutting off the HU or switching to a different source. What exactly do you propose?
Ending processes and services is what stops the reading and accessing of on disc info. Simply shutting the car off and maintaining voltage for 30 seconds doesnt solve the issue. Without the shutdown or hibernate command those files will be in use and lose sudden power during a read/write. This is exactly how you corrupt a drive.

ssd is much better for this than a disc/platter hard drive, as far as long term goes, its hardly an ideal environment but it should last quite a while. it'll last longer the more regulated you keep the voltage in (the ssd power supply might be regulated already) and the more you isolate it from vibration.
ssds are perfect for this(music) because they only have a limited number of write times, and you often dont wipe and put new music on, you just add more.
SSD's number of write times is no longer a concern, on early ones it sometimes was, but now days you would have to spend 10+ years writing constantly to harm a SSD

Ending processes and services is what stops the reading and accessing of on disc info. Simply shutting the car off and maintaining voltage for 30 seconds doesnt solve the issue. Without the shutdown or hibernate command those files will be in use and lose sudden power during a read/write. This is exactly how you corrupt a drive.
Power loss during a read wouldn't corrupt a drive, only during a write. Even during a write, that would only affect the drive if drive caching was enabled, and only for the specific file(s) being wrote to the drive.

I run 3 hard drives in my laptop and can hot swap one of them, just slides right out no problems. But I leave write caching disable

Btw I'm not an expert by any means, just into computers, and I don't think he'll have any issues //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.