wattage in a av receiver....

Participant count
  • Participant list

adio
5,000+ posts

THE STEREOTYPE FIGHTER!!!
every 2 months i go to soundandvision.com to look at the reviews of any new receiver. i read a few paragraphs and then go straight to the test bench page to see how many watts each channel puts out. i always look for receivers that put out 80watts per channel (minimum) so i know that it'll deliver more power than i need. but am i doing it wrong? i read a short piece by steve guttenberg at cnet who said 50 watts from each channel is plenty but the speakers that he used, which were super efficient (like 101db/1watt), were at least $1600 a pair.

what is a decent amount of wattage i would need for speakers that are anywhere from 87 -93db/1watt in efficiency??

50-100w is plenty if you properly tune and prepare the vehicle

it depends on what you consider loud, and how much bass you're trying to level with

Probably should ask this on the AVS forums. Do you play it loud? I have a Pioneer Elite with 85watts per channel on some B&W686s with the matching 8" woofer. Not a huge room but it gets louder than I will ever need it.

Probably should ask this on the AVS forums. Do you play it loud? I have a Pioneer Elite with 85watts per channel on some B&W686s with the matching 8" woofer. Not a huge room but it gets louder than I will ever need it.
which elite do you have?? and i looked up your speakers..... those are bookshelves with a 5 inch cone

50-100w is plenty if you properly tune and prepare the vehicle it depends on what you consider loud, and how much bass you're trying to level with
thanks for your answer but this is the 'home audio/video' section

I have the VSX-43. I also recently picked up the matching center channel. I am saving up to get the towers hopefully in the next year. Not sure what volume it goes to but I almost never go past 50, and that is really only for movies, the PS3 is a bit quieter than AirPlay. Even at 50 for movies my GF complains to turn it down.

I have the VSX-43. I also recently picked up the matching center channel. I am saving up to get the towers hopefully in the next year. Not sure what volume it goes to but I almost never go past 50, and that is really only for movies, the PS3 is a bit quieter than AirPlay. Even at 50 for movies my GF complains to turn it down.
thnaks... now does ur volume go down to increase (70 is no volume 35 is halfway up and 0 is the loudest) or the otherway around?

Not many people realize just how little power it takes to get loud with even decently efficient drivers. Even in a car.
and thats what i would like to aim for..... very efficient speakers that are medium cost and sound great

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.