Smallest Box design for single American Bass XFL 12

Participant count
  • Participant list
I currently have two xfl 12s in a ported box and it's taking up too much room. I would like to build a smaller box for a single Subwoofer.

I don't care if it's ported or not. I'm just looking for the smallest with good performance design.

Anyone have an idea on what would be a good box design saving as much room as possible for one of these subs?

What type of wood would I use?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Not to sound like a **** or anything but does anyone search anymore? The answers to every one of your questions are easy to find with 5 minutes of Google. It's one thing if your in the middle of a build or have a specific question that isn't asked much, but it took me longer to type this post than to find the answer by typing XFL 12 best box size. You never know, it could be days before anyone with any helpful input replies to your thread. I could be putting in work on the meter before you figure it out...using the same subs in the same ride and you'd never know it because you didn't search.

However, to show good faith and prove I'm not a **** here you go: I wouldn't do less than 2.15 but honestly wouldn't even go that small. If you can't give them 2.35-2.5 net each than you're probably better off just running one and sending the other one to me. Btw, the good think about searching, you have a really good chance in finding something you wouldn't have found. I'd Google your vehicle and chances are I'd find someone that has done the exact same setup. Then I'd follow some links, join whatever forum they're on, and shoot them a pm to find out everything I needed. In fact, that's how I ended up here. [emoji41]

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w.

How big is your current box? I wouldnt reccomend smaller than 2.10-2.15 net. Honestly, if I couldn't give them between 2.35-2.5 net a piece then you'd be seeing one feeling left out in the fs the. One sub in the proper box is better than cramming 2 12's in an undersized box.
I believe the box I have now is 4 cu ft with both subs. I am looking to downsize to one sub and give the other to a friend. I'm trying to find out what would be a good box design for a single xfl 12 while keeping it as small as possible. I just need more room. I have the box in my 04 jetta and it takes up the while trunk. I have to maneuver it just right just to get the current box in the car.

2.5cuft tuned to 32 with around 18sqin of port per cube. I'll post a design when I get to my laptop. I'm at my night stripping job and it's hard to hold my firehose and work the laptop at th same time.

2.5cuft tuned to 32 with around 18sqin of port per cube. I'll post a design when I get to my laptop. I'm at my night stripping job and it's hard to hold my firehose and work the laptop at th same time.
Sorry for not searching. I've never built a enclosure before but I've done some reading and want to give it a go.

I took your advice and searched. I found 2.3cu ft at 33hz sound like a good idea.

mdf or baltic birch if you got the $$$ or birch ply. I'd prefer birch since the box will be hella light in comparison.
x2. I've built boxes to experiment with, then made one exactly the same but in birch and the mdf is around twice as heavy. When buying birch, look at the wood and make sure there isn't a lot of voids in it. Maple or oak usually has less voids at places like Lowe's/HD, and will be similar weight as birch. I've used maple, oak, and birch and couldn't tell an audible or weight difference between them.

x2. I've built boxes to experiment with, then made one exactly the same but in birch and the mdf is around twice as heavy. When buying birch, look at the wood and make sure there isn't a lot of voids in it. Maple or oak usually has less voids at places like Lowe's/HD, and will be similar weight as birch. I've used maple, oak, and birch and couldn't tell an audible or weight difference between them.
Yup, when you can easily carry a dual 18 box by yourself, I see very little reason to continue using MDF, There was a dual 18 box made with MDF i got along with a local purchase that thing was easily 2.5 x the weight of the birch box, pain in the d*ck trying to move that thing.

My birch boxes also held up better to abuse than all my mdf boxes combined. Like my mounting screw holes, i can continually reuse over and over again(12 times) and never have problems while MDF will usually need new holes after the 2nd or 3rd time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.