Struggling to remove an Alpine CDA-9807 from the DIN cage

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tempe
10+ year member

FI Car Audio FTW!!!
I did my first install back in 1998. It's been about five years since I've done any install work, but I figured it would be a simple swap and move on with my night. After about 45 minutes I gave up trying to remove the unit. Normally you remove the faceplate, remove the trim ring, and slide those thin metal tools into each side of the stereo to release the unit from the DIN cage. That's exactly how it's worked on my past head units and how it works with the Pioneer unit that's going into this car. This is what the Alpine owner's manual says to do:

Removal

1 Remove the DETACHABLE FRONT PANEL.

2 Use a small screwdriver (or similar tool) to push the

locking pins to the “up” position (see above drawing). As

each pin is unlocked, gently pull out on the unit to make

sure it does not re-lock before unlocking the second pin.

3 Pull the unit out, keeping it unlocked as you do so.

Because you're not sliding any tools into the din cage like on other head units, I've found no way to "pull the unit out." I'm sorry that I did not include a photo. Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Thanks!!!

Tempe

did you personally install this or did it come with the car?

a head unit can be installed with an ISO mount which bolts it to the chassis, meaning you need to remove the entire trim to get the HU out.

i typically use ISO mount when possible, or add screws into the side of the head unit making them difficult to remove and requiring removal of the entire dash trim.

simply remove the dash trim to gain access to the head unit.

the head unit is locked into the cage with these clips - halfway down the side of the unit

95988980_2_644x461_head-unit-alpine-cda-9887-upload-foto_rev001.jpg

if the Pioneer doesn't have the exact same cage, you'll need to replace the cage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.